Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 yar old "super shooter" going up with me to shoot Keystone State Games at the end of the month. Does anyone know the distances for the under 11 class for 900 FITA round?

Scoobs

·
Archery Coach
23,319 Posts
The NAA classifies those who are in the year of their 12th Birthday or younger as "BOWMAN" class (it was cadet a few years back).

FITA-122 cm target at 30 and 25 meters. 80CM at 25 and 20. For a 900 round IN OHIO we changed the distances so that the BOWMAN class would not shoot longer distances at the 900 then the FITA (our state championship is a three day affair-fita on saturday and sunday, 900 round on labor day monday) so therefore we shoot 30/25/20

IT used to be 40/30/20 for this age group though.

I realize this is not a definitive answer-the 900 round is really not an "official" round in which the NAA keeps records anymore so I don't know if they have a standard anymore -especially for a class that didn't even "merit":rolleyes: national rankings by the NAA last year

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jim,

It's more of on the lines ofthe PSAA rules than NAA. Hopefully, another PA person will see this. We just had our local "Sportsfest" this weekend and they had kids in this category and I just was not taking notice of the distances - since I was eagle-eyeing my own target! LOL Thanks for the help. I at least know for the future on an "official" NAA shoot.

Scoobs

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
scooby, don't quote me on this ;), but for some reason 10m, 20m, and 30m sticks in my mind as the distances. Yards if it is an American 900 round. I know the cub (through year of 14th b-day) distances are 40m, 30m, and 20m. Bowman is the next youngest (through year of 12th b-day). Assuming your games use JOAD and/or NAA age classifications and distances. WI's amateur games for example make up their own age, equipment, and distance classifications.

>>------->

·
Archery Coach
23,319 Posts
Jeff Might be right but we don't use 10m any more. The old CADET (when that was 12 and under) was a FITA of 30/25/20/15. It was changed because these kids shoot (recurve) a 60cm target at 18m indoors and the compounds shoot a 40cm (outer ten) at 18m indoors so shooting the big ten on an 80cm at 15meters was a bit of a joke and shooting a 122cm at 10meters would be really too easy.

Cubs in Ohio shoot 50-40-30: the general rule is based on the FITA -since the cubs shoot 50 for their longest distance at an OFFICIAL NAA Joad FITA they shoot 900 50/40/30. Ohio has a very popular Double 900 tournament every year and being a JOAD coach and club CEO I am very familiar with this. as I noted earlier, our state tournament includes a 900 (like the old Brown County shoot)

Hopefully the PSAA would list the distances on its applications-that's what we do in Ohio (FITA ARCHERS OF OHIO being the NAA affiliate). The OAA (NFAA) affiliate shoots its 900 round in YARDS but I don't know what the kids shoot since I haven't ever made that OAA shoot

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,

Our chartered organization in PA for the NAA is Fita Archers of Pennsylvania - which is a totally different animal from the PSAA (Pennsylvania State Archery Association). They have their own rules persay. I know this shoot is in yards also. There is a guy on AT who shoots a lot of the PSAA shoots - hopefully he'll see - and geez! I forget his name!

Thanks for taking the time to help. Sometime I'll have to get out to your neck of the woods!

Scoobs

·
Archery Coach
23,319 Posts
sounds good to me-my area of knowledge is mostly limited to NAA metric stuff and NAA age groups

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Denise this sounds like they are using the NFAA 900 round format if it is in yards. For Cubs (11 & under) the distances would be 30, 20, and 10 yards.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jim. You all have been such a help! I'll let you know how she does!

Scoobs

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Hey Jim C., if you follow the logic used for your 50/40/30 since 50 is the distance the cubs shoot, shouldn't the adult guys be shooting 90/80/70 ;);) :p !

As Jim P., noted, 30/20/10 yds is the "norm" around here for our American 900 rounds for the Cub (NFAA 11 & Under) division as well.

>>-------->

·
Archery Coach
23,319 Posts
Hey Jim C., if you follow the logic used for your 50/40/30 since 50 is the distance
the cubs shoot, shouldn't the adult guys be shooting 90/80/70

NO-I was waiting for someone to make that remark:D
because that was brought up when we, the FAO discussed this matter. I should have said is that you don't shoot longer on a 900 then on a fita but if under 60m your longest 900 distance=longest fita difference

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Scoobs.....
The Keystone State Games are shot according to PSAA rules. I will check the rule book when I get home tonight and try to post the findings for the age division. I think, as others said, that 11 & under is 30,20,10, but I will check to be sure! :)

Hopefully I will be at the games this year, showing you down east fita types how the western half of the state shoots :D :p :eek:

Until then...have fun...
--Mike

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike -

That would be awesome! Maybe we can actually meet! LOL

Please let me know as soon as you can. Oh, believe me.....us easterners can shoot! lol

Thanks!
Denise

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
Go get em mecrowe. Make us westerners proud. Where are the Keystone games this year? Wilkes Barre?? Wish they were still in Johnstown.

·
Registered
51 Posts
scooby,the distances for cadets are 40,30,and 20 yards on the 120cm face.
mecrowe are you going to state fields in two weeks? pa archer

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
60xs - yes - the games are still being held in Wilkes-Barre! You still have til the 23rd of July to register! Love to see ya!

PAarcher...you shooting the "Games"?

Mecrowe - still waiting on the PSAA "official" say so - lol.......

Thanks to all that wrote in!

Scoobs

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PAarcher -

The date is Saturday, August 2nd.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts