Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't more people take the time to fill out their public profiles. Many times it would be nice to address people by their real names instead of user names. Also, to see what experience level people have.

Are people that paranoid or ashamed of who and what they are?

I personally think this should be required info.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
I'm with you.. I like to see at least where people are from. I can understand not using full names and ages but some info is good to see..

Heck, I call myself a Moore-on proudly in my profile.. :wink:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
While I may not agree that it should be required... I definitely agree with your sentiments and that it would be nice to know who everyone is.

Sometimes it's hard to respond to people with the appropriate information if their profiles aren't complete. :confused:

On that note... I better go update mine!:wink:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
There done... (see how quick that is?)...lol

:D

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Privacy in a Public Forum

Personally, I don't like the idea of a requirement for personal information on open fora. First, unless you give a validating piece of information (i.e. a social security number), there is no way to guarantee accuracy. Second, since the forum is open, I don't want to give every cyberstalker and grievance-monger any extra incentive to come find me. My life is enough of an open book, thank you very much, and I work very hard to reverse that situation. Finally, the people who really need to know who is whom, i.e. the Moderators and Sysops, have access to everyone's IP addresses from the site logs. They can (and do) handle the trolls, violators, cheats, thieves, and general nasties very effectively.

Just my two point zero nine cents.

PC

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
Even though my given name is David Smith,

my REAL name is Sage now. :D

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
sagecreek said:
Even though my given name is David Smith,

my REAL name is Sage now. :D
That ain't what the guy who answered your office phone the other day called you...:wink:

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
JAVI said:
That ain't what the guy who answered your office phone the other day called you...:wink:
Did it have DS as initials? :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Obviously I don't mind giving out my real name, but I don't have a problem with those who don't. It's each person's choice.

One thing, it does keep me from popping off with rude replies sometimes.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
JDH_bowhunt03 said:
Some people just don't like to give out information.
especially people who would rather not be fired at work for being on the net. :zip:

There is a lot of strange people out here in cyberspace, just cause you shoot a bow doesn't mean you won't try something on me if given the opportunity. I believe 90% of people are good, 7% are okay and 3 % are bad. So, with the 53,000 registered here, I would say 160 or so have the potential to try something on me or my bows. I like to know where you live before I share my personal info. :tongue:

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
I've thought about creating an alias.........just for sport.
But it's no fun for me to tweak someone if I don't know them personally and I can't see their face get distorted!:wink:

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
bfisher said:
Why don't more people take the time to fill out their public profiles. Many times it would be nice to address people by their real names instead of user names. Also, to see what experience level people have.

Are people that paranoid or ashamed of who and what they are?

I personally think this should be required info.
Stand up in a crowd of 52,996 and yell, "Hey, Mike."
Stand up in this crowd of 52,996 and yell, "Hey, Myk." and I'll know you're talking to me an not one of the other 8,000 Mikes here.

User names are unique, common names are all too common.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sage, Javi and "LugNut", everybody already knows who you clowns are. LOL.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
irefuse said:
There done... (see how quick that is?)...lol

:D
Emily,

Your my kind of woman. Well, almost. My kids are your age.

I might also add that women should not have to divulge their age.

·
Hunt By Faith Not By Site
5,233 Posts
JDH_bowhunt03 said:
Some people just don't like to give out information.
Exactly. It's a personal choice that should be left up to the person. I received a PM from a member who stated he knows all about me and could post personal stuff about me on this site:confused: All this just over a disagreement and joking around about archery equipment. No Thanks.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
bfisher said:
Emily,

Your my kind of woman.
Are you sure it's Emily just because that is what is filled out? :wink:

Think about that one for a minute and then let me know.

Who you calling a clown? :D :confused: :wink:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts