3. AK-AZ

4. Hunt4elk

5. Igluit4u

hehe....

For my mod family... :darkbeer:

· Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They had a few other names while being called in.....

but can not repeat those here on AT.:)

1. Rio , Southwest Oklahoma

2. Rio, " "

3. Merriam, Southwest Minnesota, was a hybrid

4. Eastern, Minnesota

5. Eastern, Wisconsin

· Registered
4,058 Posts
Washington State is not native habbitat for Turkey, but they have transplanted all three of those species and they are doing very well.

My question is simple, how in the world do you tell them apart? On my side of the state, we have Rios South of the Spokane River, and Merriam North, and obviously a river does not keep them separate. The Eastern are, ironically, on the West side of the State.

So, walk me through these, point out the subtle differences if you would.

· Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Colors of the fans are one way, overall size is an other.

Washington State is not native habbitat for Turkey, but they have transplanted all three of those species and they are doing very well.

My question is simple, how in the world do you tell them apart? On my side of the state, we have Rios South of the Spokane River, and Merriam North, and obviously a river does not keep them separate. The Eastern are, ironically, on the West side of the State.

So, walk me through these, point out the subtle differences if you would.

Look at the fringe of the fans on all the birds shown.........Rio's have a sand or light tan fringe. The Eastern's have a light brown to dark brown fringe. The Merriam's have a light tan to almost white fringe. The problem is finding birds that are not hybrids, many turkeys fall into this category in areas where multiple species can be found.

I have also noticed that Rio,s are the most vocal of all species of turkey. They seem to gobble all day long and are easily shocked into a gobble. The least vocal seems to be the Eastern turkey, but thats just my opinion and based soley on my hunting experiences.

Good hunting.:)

· Registered
366 Posts
Names

Tom,Tom,Jake,Tom,Tom. LOL

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Names = "Dead Bird" :)

· Registered
131 Posts
did u say smoked turkey? yummy!:shade:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.