Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a few of these heads. What do you guys think of these? do they fly good? sharp? I have some Montecs, but i just cant seem to get these things sharp, but they fly just like my field points. Thanks!

· Registered
437 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a few of these heads. What do you guys think of these? do they fly good? sharp? I have some Montecs, but i just cant seem to get these things sharp, but they fly just like my field points. Thanks!
I made the very same move to the Hellrazors for the very same reason, could not get the G5s' sharp enough to suit me. They (Hellrazors) are plenty sharp out of the pack, and fly great for me, however I have not connected on anything as of yet. Still have a couple of weeks before the opener here. Good luck.

· Registered
967 Posts
I would recommend them

They fly and penetrate great!
Shot this doe Friday, entered her right ribs high (6 yd shot from treestand) and blasted right through off shoulder, double lung. Shot the buck 15 yds through both ribs, double lung.
Doe made it 60 yds and the buck made it 40. Both had ok blood trails but not what I expected for the shots.
They are "ok" sharp out of the package but I am going to get them a little sharper with a stone and strop.

· Registered
190 Posts
yeah I tried Montecs for the first time in Montana last month on an elk. They looked strong and sharp in the package, but it turns out that they are cast metal and prone to break up when they hit something hard (like bone). Plus, after going thru an animal they don't seem to hold an edge very well, they dull quickly and I've not been able to get them sharp again using the methods on the video on the Montec web site. I even spent 35 bucks buying the G5 Montec diamond coated sharpening stone.

At least one Montec broadhead snapped off at the base where it was screwed into the ferrule, it seems that part is kind of thin on metal and not very strong. The screw in portion is still stuck in the ferrule.

Basically what I found was that the Montecs are blunted easily, dull quickly, and break apart. I'm not buying anymore Montecs, certainly not for Elk. They do fly well, I'll give them that. My last couple of Montecs are now practice heads for qualifications (yeah we have that here in Virginia for bowhunting on military bases)

ETA: Gripwerks, I like your bow!

I'm using Muzzy MX-3's for now. At least they are sharp and seem to hold and edge better than Montecs, and seem to be pretty strong with the steel trocar tip and short razor blades. I used to shoot regular three blade Muzzy's, I've not had one break apart yet.

Another elk hunter in Montana used slick tricks, got a complete pass-thru on an elk. Unfortunately, he wasn't able recover the animal. I may try those next after I'm done shooting the MX-3's.

Anyone examine a Hell Razor closely yet? Are they cast metal or forged or ?? do they bend or break after hitting bone? Do they sharpen and hold an edge better than Montecs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.