Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them ???

I am using them this year and want to hear about your experiences with them.

Not looking to just hear that they fly well. I want to hear from those who have shot an animal with them.

jp

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
;)

LOL....So they fly well ???

I didn't mean to sound like I didnt want to hear that they fly good . I meant that I was looking to hear from those who had good success with them.

I watched my buddy shooting them last week and see that they fly like darts but to me they look small. I want to hear someone tell me that they took a dozen deer with them and they are bone busters....:wink:

Just want to hear good things about them so I feel good using them.....

jp

·
Registered
580 Posts
I shot my first deer with them last week at 20 yards. Went right through him and was about 6" into the ground. It was a liver shot and went down about 135 yards away. Very good blood trail after the initial 40 yrds. The buck didn't even know he was shot until he saw me drawing back for a second shot and then ran.

I was consistant group my broadheads in about a 6" circle out to 50 yards. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Matt G said:
I shot my first deer with them last week at 20 yards. Went right through him and was about 6" into the ground. It was a liver shot and went down about 135 yards away. Very good blood trail after the initial 40 yrds. The buck didn't even know he was shot until he saw me drawing back for a second shot and then ran.

I was consistant group my broadheads in about a 6" circle out to 50 yards. Hope this helps

Did you get him?

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I've set my nephew's rig up with Nitrons the last couple of seasons. He shot two deer with them and recovered one. The blood trails on both were not very good. The first was a broadside shot from a 17' treestand at about 20 yards. We recovered the deer by tracking, not bloodtrailing (the spotty blood trail ran out after about 50 yards). The deer went about 150 yards total.

The second was a doe broadside from a groundblind at 12 yards. I was sitting in the blind with him and saw the hit, directly behind the leg joint and maybe an inch up. 30-45 min wait and 125 yards of spotty tracking in the dark only to have the doe jump up and walk away. Backed out and went back the next morning and the doe was picked clean by coyotes.

Both shots were from a 40lb rig and the arrow stuck out both sides of the deer on both shots, eventually pulling out when the deer passed trees. I was disappointed with the blood trails.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Killed my last deer with a Nitron. I did not get a pass through because the arrow hit the off-side humerous. Shattered that heavy bone though & had the skin tented...just didn't quite make it through. The deer was pretty close when I shot (14 yds), & with the relatively high entrance hole and no exit, I did not have a blood trail. He only went about 60 yds. There was no damage to the head whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I shot a deer with them two years ago and have been using them ever since.
They fly extremely well, are razor sharp, and a tough little broadhead in all other aspects.

The deer I shot with it only went about 25 yards before falling over. It blew directly through the shoulder (did a ton of damage) and stopped at the far shoulder. Despite the non pass through it made quick work of the doe.

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
I have used them this year on roughly about 18 animals ranging from Warthogs to both Black and Blue Wildebeest. Regardless of their small ize they can take quite a beating. I have put them through a host of different animals at every possible angle. They have always held up very well, they are also extremely sharp right out of the box, and right on the money out to 80yards. O, and before I forget, they fly very well...

·
Registered
552 Posts
I shot my first deer with them last week at 20 yards. Went right through him and was about 6" into the ground.
Same experience I had, I double lunged her and she went 100 yards. Plenty of blood to follow, but not as heavy as a large diameter expandable. I think it is worth the tradeoff with the great flight and all over toughness.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I used them all spring and summer. 3 hogs (2 pass thru's), 1 turkey and 1 black bear at 250lbs (pass thru). 100g makes nice hole and decent blood trail. They fly great.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
i used them last year , took two deer with them ,both pass threws with a good exit hole and awesome blood trails. although both went down within sight of my stand.im trying the slick tricks this year(if they get here in time) but i already have nitrons on the arrows in case they dont.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Excellent Broadhead

They fly as good as my field points. I used them last year and had 2 kills. Both were good hits that didn't go far. Excellent blood trails. I was surprised at how large the entrance and exit holes were for a smaller head. This fall I changed arrows and set up 12 for hunting. I was able to get perfect alignment with 12 broadheads and 12 arrows. I have never had that good of success with broadhead alignment. I attribute it to solid one piece design. I read about a lot of different heads on this forum. Frankly I am amazed more people don't use this head. heh

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I think Duggaboy on here has commented that the convex design of the tip is the best as far as breaking bone and aiding in penetration. There are some really good threads on that, but you'll have to dig.

I shot a Doe with one. To be honest, I don't know why I am not using them more. Good blood trail and penetration. I guess I am always looking for something that is 1 1/8" 3 blade or larger. This year, its G5 Strykers (in addition to NAP Scorpions), but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Nitrons.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Last Thursday night I killed a pretty good sized bull elk in Colorado with one. I ranged him at 35 yards and had a complete pass through. They fly great and get the job done. I use all sorts of different broadheads and these work good. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Shot a doe at 27 yrds Saturday night. Decent blood trail. Not as good as a bigger broadhead, But good enough she was easy to track with a crappy flashlight. Caught both lungs and the back edge of the heart with complete penetration and through a half rotten stump 3 yrds behind her (75 lb Hoyt V-Tec). She acted like she wasn't hit. Ran 30 yrds, stopped and looked around for a sec then ran off. Ran a total of 110 yrds. One thing I have noticed with them, when you are done practicing with one,change blades, and make sure they are TIGHT. That slight rattling sound they make when the blades are sort of loose drives me crazy. Never lost a blade though. Have them hitting dead on and flying like darts to 70 yrds. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all

Thanks !!! I already bought them so I was going to use them no matter what but I am liking what I am hearing about them.

Thanks
jp

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
First year I am going to use these heads.... would love to hear more about the blood trails and game recovery. I think they are great heads, but I am a little apprehensive because they are so small...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts