Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about switching to a 3 blade mechanical an looking real hard at spitfire an spitfire Maxx what kinda damage do these heads do

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Neighbor used the regular Spitfire for a couple years put em down nice n quick. Switched to a Muzzy fixed every deer since has been a adventure to recover. Don't forget to look at the Wasp Jak Hammer. Same cut as Max and American made.

·
BowhunterT100
6,427 Posts
I've shot a few deer with them, worked great. Since nap was sold, and started making their stuff overseas I'm moving on to the wasp jak -hammers or grim reapers. Both usa made.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Funny I just got done having a convo with a buddy about these. He switched over from rage, and did so because the nap’s blades remain deployed. Apparently a stronger thicker blade as well.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
spitfires were among the first mechanicals to hit the market back in the 90's, and the design has not changed. They are solidly built.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
spitfires were among the first mechanicals to hit the market back in the 90's, and the design has not changed. They are solidly built.
One important consideration with the Nap Spitfire is this mechanical is not for the lower draw length archers. When you have momentum to burn they work out exceptionally well based on 15 years experience with them. Ill take the 125 grain over the 100 grain offering any day. Only problem is the 100 grain offering seems to be the most commonly available.

500 grain total arrow weight was recommended to me for this broadhead design 15 years ago. the longer draw archers may get by with a bit less & shorter draw archers will do well to make 500 grains the minimum. They a bit more energy to deploy & the larger cut diameter calls for more inertia as well.

When your whole setup is right they work great.

·
Registered
842 Posts
One important consideration with the Nap Spitfire is this mechanical is not for the lower draw length archers. When you have momentum to burn they work out exceptionally well based on 15 years experience with them. Ill take the 125 grain over the 100 grain offering any day. Only problem is the 100 grain offering seems to be the most commonly available.

500 grain total arrow weight was recommended to me for this broadhead design 15 years ago. the longer draw archers may get by with a bit less & shorter draw archers will do well to make 500 grains the minimum. They a bit more energy to deploy & the larger cut diameter calls for more inertia as well.

When your whole setup is right they work great.
I would agree, 500 gr is a good weight for the maxx at any draw length. I have 28" draw shoot 70lb. Shot a doe with a maxx on a 390 grain arrow and although i got a pass through was not pleased with the performance. I upped my arrow weight up to 493 grains and they perform much better.
This year i added an extra 50 gr fact weight to get me to 543....just because, even tho it is not necessary

·
Registered
235 Posts
i tried the maxx , i feel i had better results with the killzone maxx , but thats just me

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
They aren’t the most efficient design, but they will serve you well if you have the energy to spare. There have been many many deer killed with different variations of the spitfire.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I shot a 245 lb buck with one in 2017. Got a pass thru at 17 yards. It broke off one of the blades and I had a sparse blood trail to follow for approx 200 yards. I backed out after 75 yds or so and left it for 3 hours. Found the buck dead in a creek. Broadhead did it’s job but I’ve moved on since then and shoot fixed heads now. I have a 31.5” draw length and was pulling 63 lbs. I still wonder if it wouldn’t have been a much less stressful tracking job if the head would have stayed together. Just my expectations with the Spitfire.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I’d shoot reapers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ncs27

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've only used Spitfires (mostly 1.5") for the past 4 seasons but have had great success with them. 65#, 29" draw Prime Rival with 475 gr Injexion arrows have penetrated very well on a Dall Sheep, Mt Caribou, Polar Bear, Tule Elk, 5 Black Bears a couple Coues Deer. And two of the animals listed were spined, one nice black bear and a Coues buck (ducking the shot). The Spitfires did a good job on severing the spinal cord on the bear and actually passing thru the Coues buck. Good luck!

·
paddylad
249 Posts
I have shot Spitfire mechanicals pretty much since they came out -- I have shot Red deer, Fallow deer, Elk, Chamois and a massive 300lb + Himalayan Bull Tahr, and a few pigs along the way too - never had one fail or not do the job yet ! A bit finicky to change blades out but they fly true -- it's always a good idea to check the ferule is still straight after use though - they are machined aluminium with a steel tip so the body of them can bend if they take a big hit! tried and true for me - but there are many other excellent mechanical and COC broadheads out their doing a good job too :-}

·
Registered
639 Posts
Spitfire MAXX exit hole
AZ Coues buck

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Updated photo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts