Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new (to me) bow in the mail right now. Its a 2009 Elite GT500 in 30" draw and I am told it is drawing 72lbs. I know the specs so I was able to bring out all the calculators and get estimates on performance. I have charted the weights and combinations and have decided the mix I like with this bow as a starting point is a 460-470gr 300 spine arrow, should get me 295-299 fps. I know the calculators aren't perfect...but its my starting point. I like the Momentum and speeds that come in this arrow weight range. I want to stay with setting up for 100 gr heads, but the option to move to 125gr if I want to is still there to try the speeds. The 300 spine should allow this.

Option 1:
Easton Axis 300 at 10.7 gpi, standard HIT inserts, 3" Fusions all totaling out to 466 Grains of total weight and 9.9% FOC

Option 2:
Beeman ICS Pro Hunter 300 at 9.6 gpi, insert + 30gr of forward weight, 3" Fusions again totaling out to 464gr and 12.98% FOC

I guess my question is, will the 3% more FOC outweigh the benefit of the slim diameter on the Axis?

Is there another arrow combination out there I have not done the math on to get me in the weight range I may have not looked at yet? I do not want 2" vanes as I like the 3" and 4" and what they do to help steer 2 blade fixed heads.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I am shooting a similar setup with GT Velocities. I'm putting and extra 40grains up front for around 16% FOC and these arrows are blowing through everything. Very impressed so far.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Axis are a nice arrow. Ended up getting 340 bloodlines. Threw a 125 fixed head. Once built comes out to around 450 grains. Got about 14-16 foc as well

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I can't really say about the Bemans
What I can say is I am not the least disappointed in the way the Axis penetrate.
I have no reason to try anything else

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VAP's were just brought to my attention...any input on these? Looks like a combination of both my above options...working up a solution now.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The Black Eagle Rampage is the diameter of the Axis but a little lighter gpi allowing for more weight up front. Gold tip velocity mentioned by another member will allow for a lot of weight up front as well. After shooting a couple of different arrows with 13% or more FOC, I really like them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Black Eagle Rampage is the diameter of the Axis but a little lighter gpi allowing for more weight up front. Gold tip velocity mentioned by another member will allow for a lot of weight up front as well. After shooting a couple of different arrows with 13% or more FOC, I really like them.
That is what I was looking for...I love this setup. Just worked this up for the 300 Rampage at 8.7 gpi.

at 29" with the 75gr HiT inserts I get a total weight of 460gr and 15.46 FOC....that is now on top of my list. Especially when you put these against the VAPs as far as price goes.

Any concern these lighter arrows will break at the front end with the high momentum and thinner wall? I have zero experience with Black Eagle arrows...but I have read good things.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've recently decided that I'm no longer spending big money on hunting arrows. It honestly doesn't matter how tough they are, they're going to break. I'd get the bemans

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I like Goldtip Velocity myself but, out of the two you listed I would take the Bemans.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
a 3% difference is no difference at all. especially at the weights you're discussing. the thing to remember is the calculators, like numbers on paper, show every little diference there is and sometimes, do more to make a person "see" things that really won't make a difference in the reality of performance. many times an issue like this does more to make us unsure about what we are doing, than when we started looking into the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts