Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting pictures of Jack Hammer in both 2010 and 2011 I got to thinking that I may have had pictures of him in earlier years. After going through the photos, I was pleased with what I found; Pictures of Jack Hammer from 2008-current (1.5-4.5yrs old). Although I have histories of many whitetails throughout the years, this is the earliest in a whitetails life that I have ever been able to start a history. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I hope you enjoy the story of Jack Hammer's life thus far. I'm excited to see how the rest of it unfolds.

-Also, could I get some guesses on what you think he would score this year? Thanks!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2008- Jack Hammer is 1.5 years old. He has 4pts on his right side, and 3 on his left. For a 1.5 year old, he is showing great potential. It is evident to me that this is Jack Hammer for a couple of reasons;

1- Very Dark snout; noticeable trait seen throughout his life and darker than any of the other whitetails on the farm.

2- his G4 on his right side tilts in slightly.

2009- Jack Hammer is 2.5 years old. He has grown considerably from 2007. He is still a 9pt with 4pts on his right and 3 on his left. His G4 on his right side still tilts in slightly (and will his entire life).

2010- Jack Hammer is 3.5 years old. This is an important year for Jack Hammer for multiple reasons;

1- He has grown into a very respectable whitetail. His G4 on his left side has caught up to his G4 on his right side. His frame is turning into something special, and he's one year away from turning into a giant.

2- On November 5th, 2010 my good friend Brent Larson from Minnesota comes down to bow hunt. He hunts the farm where Jack Hammer lives and ends up wounding Jack Hammer with a high shot from his bow (on video). We blood trail Jack Hammer for over 400 yards and search for 1.5 days without finding him. Jack Hammer disappears from the farm and is never caught on trail camera nor were any of his sheds found. I felt like he was likely dead somewhere on a neighboring farm.

2011- Jack Hammer is 4.5 years old. Unexpectedly he shows up on the trail camera. He has 'blew up' and turned into a true giant. The exit wound scar is very evident in the trail cam pictures, although the injury must not have affected him too negatively as he put on many inches of antler (often wounded/sick whitetails get smaller or have growth defects in their antlers the following year). Although the wound looks like it should be a fatal shot, the arrow must have went in above both lungs, hit a rib, and deflected down and out. Jack Hammer has added another tine on his left side, making it now the biggest side of his rack. Jack Hammer is now #1 on Sureshot's hitlist :teeth:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Cool, thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, great deer! I bet your friend was heartbroken when you guys didnt recover him. Glad to see he is still around. Not trying to open up a can of worms, but what kind of BH was used? That really does look like a fatal shot.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Outstanding story and log of his life. Thank you for sharing and good luck to you. It would be great to have the story and photos to go along with a great mount.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thats awesome, good luck with him this year. Trail cameras are great because its like deer hunting year round trying to get pictures of the bucks you saw the year before.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
Pretty cool!

Have any sheds from him.

It is my wish/dream to have years of pictures and sheds from a real nice buck that I kill.

I have 3 years, and I hope this year, pictures of the same buck starting as a small 6 until last year as a nice 10.

In 2010 I found both his sheds.

He's simular to yours as he isn't a wide spread, but tall. Almost brothers.

last year in velvet.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Two things can be learned here folks.

1. Deer are absolutely incredible in their ability to survive marginal shots.

2. This is EXACTLY why we try very very hard to never ever shoot a 3 year old deer.

Sureshot thanks for an awesome thread and good luck this falll on your ventures for this deer. Make sure when you kill him you make some kind of case with all your pictures of him and any sheds of his you have. Personally I think this is the best way you could ever possibly give him the honor he deserves. It also makes for a wicked cool conversation piece to display next to his mount.

As far as score....I'm gonna say 160-165 net. He's a stud for sure!!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
That is awesome to see that deers progression.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
great progression of pics and info/story!

I'd say buck will be grossing in the 170's

Amazing how the shot didn't kill him. Was it a pass through? if so, where was the exit wound on the other side?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts