Archery Talk Forum banner

Neck shots

3789 Views 81 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  Johnboy60
I just posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago, and someone had a troll comment on a neck shot.

I’ve shot 3 deer coming at me straight in the neck, and all down within 150 yards. 2 within 80. If I hit dead center it was 150 yards, if a little off so completely severed aorta is quicker,

Straight on only, in the neck and not in the chest that’s lower down, at 10 yards or less so you’re accurate within an inch, take it or no?

This one was 7 yards away, I had been drawn about 30 seconds and never would turn, just straight at me, then looked up right at me so it was this or nothing. After working 3 times I would do it again when required.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

· Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I just know I haven’t seen one single post here that said yeh, I shot them in upper neck coming toward me, and lost them. :). That’s the actual consensus. Although many have pointed out great points that you can’t shoot into neck sideways or straight down into neck reliably, nor shoot at neck patch at 20+ yards when they can move. That’s why we have chats and understand each other. Good luck out there!

· Registered
222 Posts
tailchaser, i havent but i know a guy that did. said he didnt aim for it but who knows with this guy. he one of those people that really shouldnt bow hunt. anyhow the deer was spotted running around the area,with arrow sticking way out, for few weeks. must have hit the spine and got lodged. im sure it was shot when gun came in 4 weeks later. well if infection didnt get it first.

i processed a deer that had a broadhead and an inch of shaft stuck under the shoulder blade. i almost loost the end of my fingers! luckily, i seen something before running fingers in there and separating the quarter! meat was grown all around and through it and no marks on outside of the hide. been in there a while in other words. ill chalk that one up to some speed freak, with too light of arrows for hunting.

· Registered
16,151 Posts
The only broadhead I have found in a critter was in his neck, you can see the defect on the right side and it was at least a 2yr old wound, still not completely healed over.

the right side of the neck was not edible, it was nasty looking scar tissue. The year before this bull had a spike left side and same as when I killed him on the right… when I killed him he was a “4xtake my strong hand”
Hunting Plant Grass Natural material Terrestrial animal

· Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The only broadhead I have found in a critter was in his neck, you can see the defect on the right side and it was at least a 2yr old wound, still not completely healed over.

the right side of the neck was not edible, it was nasty looking scar tissue. The year before this bull had a spike left side and same as when I killed him on the right… when I killed him he was a “4xtake my strong hand” View attachment 7745906
Sounds like a sideways neck shot. I’m glad this thread shed light on most neck angles being a bad idea. only the front/white patch area at very close range. And if you’re a little off it still drops em fast. Don’t shoot at neck from the side (when you should have a lung shot anyway if broadside), nor straight down.

· Registered
16,151 Posts
Sounds like a sideways neck shot. I’m glad this thread shed light on most neck angles being a bad idea. only the front/white patch area at very close range. And if you’re a little off it still drops em fast. Don’t shoot at neck from the side (when you should have a lung shot anyway if broadside), nor straight down.
So are we talking a frontal shot? I think there is some confusion on the shot you are promoting… at least for me.

· Registered
4,015 Posts
Bowhunter education classes used to use a little deer voodoo doll with pins to teach and show the proper shot angles to take with a bow. No neck shots were included. They had it right. Though some can’t accept that there is such a thing as bowhunting ethics, there is and shot placement is a crucial part of it and it applies to all bowhunters.

· Registered
55,468 Posts
I have helped track a few neck shot animals, 3 elk and a big bear that I recall, none resulted in a recovered animal, one was on purpose, and that person has not and will not ever try that again, I was pretty irritated with that

All of them bled enough to track over a mile before losing sign, the bear lost enough blood I don’t think it could have lived, but the end of that track the bear went up a slippery cliff, so it wasn’t close to dying at that point, found one more smear of blood in a clear cut about 200yds past the cliff

The ugly thing about neck shots is you can cut through the esophagus and sentence that animal to a long and suffering death and you will never find it because it will take days (or longer) to die.

A straight up neck shot (not a frontal) is a desperate shot, and one that shows you don’t give a rat’s ass about making a clean kill, and all you care about is you possibly getting that animal by any means.

You have to get lucky to hit the jugular even if you know where it is, the spine has a good chance of stopping the broadhead before the blades reach the artery… I would imagine shooting them in the ass is technically a higher percentage shot, and hopefully we all know that’s a stupid shot

Archery is a game of close calls, we aren’t owed a critter, and if a person can’t wait for a shot with a clear path to the vitals, you have no business in the woods… especially with a bow

Alaska, I agree a lot of bad shots start with “I had to shoot”…. No they didn’t, with a bow, a shot taken in desperation is a shot that should have never been taken… you say irresponsible, I agree, but I think it’s worse than that, it’s disgusting and selfish to take a shot like that because they think the world owes them a trophy

As humans, we have the ability to kill more quickly and efficiently than any other death a wild animal can have… that’s one of my biggest feelings of “success” I would rather make a perfect shot on a small buck than a poor shot on a big buck
Agree 1000%. Some people have no idea what hunting is all about. The ethical harvest is ONLY a bonus.

· Registered
338 Posts
I just posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago, and someone had a troll comment on a neck shot.

I’ve shot 3 deer coming at me straight in the neck, and all down within 150 yards. 2 within 80. If I hit dead center it was 150 yards, if a little off so completely severed aorta is quicker,

Straight on only, in the neck and not in the chest that’s lower down, at 10 yards or less so you’re accurate within an inch, take it or no?

This one was 7 yards away, I had been drawn about 30 seconds and never would turn, just straight at me, then looked up right at me so it was this or nothing. After working 3 times I would do it again when required.
Had a nice 10pt chase three does within 25yds of my tree stand. He stood facing me and I was just waiting for him to turn broadside. Instead he turned a 180 and showed me his butt and walked off with his girls. I cussed my luck and went back four days later. At 12 noon, here he came all alone with his nose to the ground. Passed behind me at 12yds when I stopped him with a bleat and sent a two blade Zwickey through his lungs. Bowhunting is all about patience. If you don't have patience, maybe bowhunting isn't for you. I dread wounding such a magnificent animal.

· Registered
2,660 Posts

This is the problem with what you are saying. The "it was this or nothing" is NOT a reason to take the shot. Most times when this is the choice the NOTHING is the better choice.
This mindset that you have to take the shot is the reason for so many wounded and lost deer.

· Registered
51,360 Posts
I've done it on does. And would do it again. At close range. One dropped straight down. The other ran 30 yards painting the woods red. Know your limitations and what you can andcant do. Make your decisions accordingly.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,292 Posts
I took a throat patch shot at a doe that made me, 15 feet from the base of my tree. She dropped and the arrow went through her left eye and out the back of head then into her back. Went about 100 yards and piled up. My only face shot, though I do have the tools to take them regularly.
Wood Plant Gas Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar

· Registered
55,468 Posts
I've done it on does. And would do it again. At close range. One dropped straight down. The other ran 30 yards painting the woods red. Know your limitations and what you can andcant do. Make your decisions accordingly.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Buck, doe they are the same animal and one is not less than the other. Just give the antis more ammunition against eithical hunting! Your reasoning is not at all justified.

· Registered
21 Posts
If it works for you, it works for you. I believe frontal shots are a great option. I’ve had great success with them. I’ve never shot a deer in the neck with a bow but with a rifle it’s great. A lot of guys say they don’t need a deer that bad. Myself and the buddy I hunt with need that deer or elk very bad. Doesn’t mean we take pop shots at em but we hunt hungry. If you are confident in the shot, take the shot and don’t worry about what other people think.

· Registered
22 Posts
I use to be against frontal shots. In the right situation and he’s close I’ll take it. 2 mature bucks I’ve shot one went 80yards one went 12 yards. I was hunting from the ground on both as well. The one that went 12 ducked and arrow hit in the base of the neck. It’s a discussion that ruffles feathers and not something I’d tell someone to do but it’s way more effective with a well placed shot than most people think. I’ve seen it done in elk so many times.

· Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Good feedback both ways. It’s interesting how a few think they should impose what they “think they know” on others. But the ones Saying yeh it works great are in no way trying to force those internet hunters to take the shot they don’t feel comfortable with. 🤔

61 - 80 of 82 Posts