Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Primum Non Nocere
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 3D bow and would like some feedback from all of you on this. I work at a shop that sells Hoyt, Ross, Martin, and Diamond. It has to be one of these brands. I would like something with a little zip to it. I am going to be shooting around 60lbs and 27.5-28 inches in DL. I checked out the Turbotec and the Ultratec and I like the Ultratec more. The Turbotec has some wicked handshock to it. I really like the Ross line up as I have been shooting these quite a bit lately. We just became a dealer and I have 331s and 334s in stock. I am waiting on the 337s and my 337 competition to come in. I have heard a rumor they may be producing a new model this year and with any luck it will produce some higher IBO numbers. I would like to see a 315 or 320fps model come along from them. I plan on setting up the 337 comp as a spottie bow so we will see how that does. Well let me know what you guys think and the numbers you are getting from your setups. Thanks

·
7 Time pHp Camp Champion
7,243 Posts
Hoyt ProElite - 27.5" Spiral cam, XT2000 limbs, 60 lbs, 330 grain arrow...279 fps. Do the math. That's 5 lbs light on draw weight! No too shabby for a bow w/ approx 8" brace height. Oh yeah, it'll shoot the lights out too. ;)

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
FoggDogg said:
Hoyt ProElite - 27.5" Spiral cam, XT2000 limbs, 60 lbs, 330 grain arrow...279 fps. Do the math. That's 5 lbs light on draw weight! No too shabby for a bow w/ approx 8" brace height. Oh yeah, it'll shoot the lights out too. ;)

What he said.:wink: Great 3D setup.

There is no need to shoot a Turbo Tec for 3D you can get good speed from the Pro and Ultra Tec. But if that Turbo had alot of hand shock it is because the cams are out of sync/time.

I would go with a Hoyt over all of your other choices....and my second choice would be a 337 but unless they come out with a different cam this year you are gonna struggle to get 280 from one.

·
Primum Non Nocere
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have yet to shoot the -Elite bows from Hoyt but as I said before I really like the way that Ulttratec shoots. With the Spiral cams on there it has an IBO of 320. I just hate the price!!!:eek:

Hornet... Tell me more about this hand shock vs timing thing. I am a little new to Hoyts so I am trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
The Martin's with Nitrous cams will get you all the speed you'll need....your "want" is up to you. The shoot-thru cables feel really nice once you get used to shooting them, it is simple to switch to the cable guard setup. The NitrousX cams make it real easy to adjust draw length and cam timing. No need for a bow press to do the previously mentioned.

The Slayer and the lower priced Cougars I know will go 282+ fps at 58 lbs. and 26 inch draw. Your draw is longer so I think you'd be in the mid/upper 290's.
I've set a few of these up at 26-28 inch draw.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
mtmedic said:
Hornet... Tell me more about this hand shock vs timing thing. I am a little new to Hoyts so I am trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can.

Well it is pretty simple really. If your cams aren't in sync/timmed or withing the timing marks it will have more hand shock. I had a Super Tec and it had very little hand shock. That bow was an 04 and the new Turbo Tecs have even less. Just like my 05 Ultra Tec with spirals has less than the 03 that I shot did and also all of the Pro Tecs I had. Any bow with spirals willl have more hand shock than with regular cam 1/2's on it just because the cams are more aggresive.

But for 3D or spots I would go with an Ultra or Pro Elite with spirals.

·
Registered
925 Posts
While I have not shot the Ultraelite too much, my Ultratec with spirals seems to shoot much better than I do. It has the zip you are wanting, and decent brace as well. I have the 3000 limbs and really like them. One thing with the spirals, play with your draw weight a bit. Mine were completely different at 57 vs 62 lbs, and I don't just mean the weight difference. They pulled much smoother. Could be the limbs or somethings else, but my bow is a SWEET shooter at 57 lbs. I shoot well over IBO weight and get just under 300 fps with my 29.5" DL.

macatac

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
My Ultraelite at a little over IBO at 60 lbs. is getting 299. That is with the 2000 limbs and cam1/2 at 28".

·
Registered
86 Posts
2005 Diamond Rapture

60 lbs, 27 inches. 344 grain arrow. 260 FPS. It shoots flat out to 25 yards. I had my first 3D shoot 2 weeks ago and I shot a 318/400. I've never done competitive archery before and I've only been shooting for about 4 months. Great bow for the price!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
personally, i would dump all those and go with Bowtech:darkbeer:

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Bowtech OG or constitution you cant go wrong with either my OG is pushing a 370 grain arrow at 298 fps at 65#'s she aint the fastest of the group but it does fine by me

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
the way to go is

MARTIN ONLY !!!!
THE NX shot thought the cables very good at lond ranges very easy to get 290+ fps

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I had a 2004 Martin SlayR set at 53#, 27" draw shooting IBO legal and getting 299 fps. At 27.5" and 53# it hit 308 fps. I had to shoot it at 6.3 gr/lb to be ASA legal at 287 fps.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
All you Bowtech shooters....it isn't all about speed. All the bows mentioned will get you more speed than you need for 3D.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
When i had my Protec set up for 3ds it was IBO 301, 28.5 " DL, fastest bow I have ever had, have it set up for hunting now, with a 380 gr arrow it will shoot 276, still doing pretty good.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Mtmedic;

You did not mention one of the best.

Bowtech Const. Very fast, high BH, and long ata.. I would recommend taking a look.

·
Primum Non Nocere
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
metalarcher said:
Mtmedic;

You did not mention one of the best.

Bowtech Const. Very fast, high BH, and long ata.. I would recommend taking a look.

I have shot and do like the Bowtech line guys but I manage a shop now and Bowtech is the competition. I have access to numerous other quality brands as mentioned in the beginning and am trying to come up with a financially sound way of getting a decent 3D bows while representing the products I sell. All this feedback is great and I appreciate it. Lets not turn this into a my bow is better than yours. You all have a favorite and I can respect that. Keep the input coming guys...

·
Registered
578 Posts
bow

just to let you know= our bow test will be out next wk (link below). It has the Ross CR334, Martin Bengal, Hoyt Trykon, Mathews Switchback XT, Bowtech Tribute, Diamond Liberty, Bladerunner Iso Force, Oneida BE II, Rytera Bullet X, Oneida Extreme, Libery I, Hickory Creek HD24, Reflex Super Slam, APA Black Mamba, Pearson Stealth, Whisper Creek Innovator Pro, CSS System 37, Fred Bear Instict, Darton Marauder, PSE Mach X, Parker Frontier- (21 bows)

Jon

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
I love it when a guy asks about "Hoyt, Ross, Martin, and Diamond"....and a bunch of guys chirp "Shoot Martin!' 'Shoot Bowtech!"

LOL!

For what it's worth, my hunting UltraTec shoots a 410 grain arrow 252fps with Spirals, a 25.5" draw, and 62 lbs. Pretty good sppeed if you ask me.

My 3-D UltraTec shoots 303fps shooting 4.3 grains per inch. I know, it's UNDER IBO, but at that short of draw length it's not as bad as if you were to do it with the longer draw bows.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts