Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like my local pro shop guy may be taking me for a ride. I'm new to bow hunting but have spent many, Many hours reading and studying the subject and get the feeling the guy at the local shop just isn't doing right by me. When I first went there, I explained that I was getting into archery to hunt deer. I knew I'd need to shoot with a strap type release yet he let me purchase a finger shooting glove even as I asked his advice. My bow is a 70# compound but and he sold me 4560 arrows knowing my intention was to shoot 100 grain broad heads and intended to work up to the full pull weight this summer. When he told me the old used bow I purchased from a private party wasn't going to work, I bought a bare overstock model which he said he'd give me a package deal on. He proceeded to set me up with a sight, rest, release, string silencers and charged me for each and every last piece. My buddy who hunts said I should start out with exactly the set up I intended to hunt with. He did take the glove back, but I may be stuck with six under spined arrows and no confidence in his advice. I’d rather not mention the store’s name or the persons’ name, but I will tell all before I allow someone else to get the run around I feel I may have been given, especially someone new to the sport like me. Was I done wrong? Where do I go for advice in N. W. Indiana?

PSE Nova OC @29"/70#
Trophy Taker Rest
Top Gun Sight
T.R.U Ball Short-N-Sweet W/Buckle
Carbon Express Predator II's
FOBs, Muzzy MX 3's & Crimson Talons

·
Registered
838 Posts
what is the length of the arrow

45/60 is what I shoot at 70#,s and they shoot great with 100g,

was the bow you bought from 3rd party the correct DL, if not could it be adjusted to your DL if not then he may be right, that bow may not have worked for you

as for buying the new bow ,,,,, sight , rest. release ect,,, All of those things cost the shop so shy should the shop not charge you for them. A pro shop is a business just like any other, they are there to sell equipment not give it away.

not saying that you went to a bad shop there are some out there but the original post does not give enough detail to say yes or no.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I don't see anything horribly wrong, you could definitly do worse. :wink:

More info is needed to find out if the spine is weak, but I doubt it is on that setup. We can give a more precise answer if you tell us the shaft length, what you have on the string and what vanes you have.

Keep researching and asking questions and YOU will know , if you are getting taken for a ride next time. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pro Shop Guy?

The old bow had clearance problems. Plastic vanes wouldn't tune at all and feathers showed damage after just a few shots. It was a Proline Zephyr XE-II. One other thing that bothered me: My new bow manual says to never turn out the limb bolts more than four turns, but I was sure he turned them out farther than that so I checked. I marked the limb bolts and turned them back in over five and a half turns! They are now at exactly four. Couldn't a person be seriously injured or even killed by improperly adjusted bow limbs letting loose? What could happen if they came loose while shooting? I AM trying to learn here, and it is about confidence and being comfortable with your equipment AND your pro, right?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pro Shop Guy?

Arrow length is 30 3/8. "Wing" span is 72 3/4.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pro Shop Guy?

The vanes are 4" Plastic, not the "corrugated plastic" feathers I shot with my little old recurve in the late sixties.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hey bud im over here in Marshall County. There is probably one guy here that I would let touch my bow. In Wabash County is where i normally go to Bass and Bucks!! Josh is a straight shooter and will treat you better than 90percent of the shops. Let me know if you need any help finding either place if you decide to go. Sounds like you may have been better off just hitting up the Bass Pro close to you!!!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I bought a bare overstock model which he said he'd give me a package deal on. He proceeded to set me up with a sight, rest, release, string silencers and charged me for each and every last piece.
...How were you able to determine the price he/she charged for these items were not in fact "package deal" prices for these items...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pro Shop Guy?

The co-worker who's been giving me some advice told my there's a dedicated archery shop near Saulk Train just off of US 30, but I just went to the closest one.:pukey: I've also been told of an archery Guru near Deep River, but failed to write down his name and my memory's shot from four years of midnights.:confused: I'm livin' and learnin'!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Also heard that Long Lane Archery in Starke County isn't bad but i have never been there so i am not going to gurantee anything. I know a guy who hunts a little that goes there if that helps with my source.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pro Shop Guy?

There were fully rigged bows on the rack for around $200, mine was priced at $167, but cost me just over $300 out the door and I watched him total it all up. He gave me the impression it was all for the original price like the ones in the rack. He is a younger fella and says he bow hunts, too.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
There were fully rigged bows on the rack for around $200, mine was priced at $167, but cost me just over $300 out the door and I watched him total it all up. He gave me the impression it was all for the original price like the ones in the rack. He is a younger fella and says he bow hunts, too.
New or used? Either way, $300 is a heck of a price...you don't have much of a legitimate complaint no matter what....

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Hey Nuge I know how you feel. When I got my first compound bow 15 years ago it seemed like my local pro shop took me for a ride too. But I have to say the only thing they did wrong for me was setting my proper DL, which was easily fixed.

I know it is a cruise for you, but if you ever find your way to Bass Pro's in Bolingbrook Illinois, I will do the work on your bow and I will make sure you leave completely satisfied. I know most box stores don't know squat, but we have a great staff in our archery dept.

I am sure there is someone a lot closer to you though, but the offer stands. If you do in fact end coming up my way PM me and I will make sure I am there to help with anything I can.

DS

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
New or used? Either way, $300 is a heck of a price...you don't have much of a legitimate complaint no matter what....
If the shop said it was $167 for a package price, it should be that price. I think that is a legitimate complaint :rolleyes:

What draw length did he set you up with?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pro Shop Guy?

I was told it was an overstock item they just couldn't get rid of. It's a PSE Value Series Nova OC listed on their site at $249. I see a date of 06 on my manual. I also traded in my $110 Proline for $50.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pro Shop Guy?

My setup is listed above on the originating post.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
...well maybe he wasn't as adept as he should have been about telling you "what" was included in the "package" that he was setting up for you...

...using lower priced items or giving "deals" on higher end items, it would still require to very economically set up a bow that is ready to go to work...will run at bare minimum $125.00-$150.00 on top of the cost of the bow...

...you stated that you bought a "bare over stock model" for $167.00...

...$167.00 + $125.00-$150.00 = $292.00-$317.00...

...without knowing any other specifics...In My Opinion, you got a pretty fair deal on your rig that when it went out the door, appears as though was ready to go to work...

...$167.00 for a bare overstocked model sounds pretty much like the DEAL OF THE CENTURY all by itself!!:darkbeer:

...I would feel pretty good about your purchase...now all that is left is for you to enjoy your time in the woods...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pro Shop Guy?

I know it is a cruise for you, but if you ever find your way to Bass Pro's in Bolingbrook Illinois

DS
I live by Four Seasons and work in Hodgkins making my daily drive to and from work around 114 miles per day. I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it if nothing works out around here, but I'm already spending approximately 2 hours 20 minutes per day behind the wheel and the construction season's just starting. Thank you for the offer.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
If the shop said it was $167 for a package price, it should be that price. I think that is a legitimate complaint :rolleyes:
...the shop did not state $167.00 was a package price to this fellow based upon what he wrote in his initial post to this thread...

...I understand they were selling him the $167.00 "BARE BOW" with the required accessories "for" a "package price"...

...I believe he made certain assumptions that did not turn out as he had anticipated...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Pro Shop Guy?

DONDEERE;6554996...$167.00 for a bare overstocked model sounds pretty much like the DEAL OF THE CENTURY all by itself!!:darkbeer: QUOTE said:
The Proline was a beautiful bow and I really had my heart set on making the old girl work for me. Maybe the real deal was one of the fully rigged bows with their prices listed up front. As I said above, live and learn, but it'll be hard to trust advice from that guy after this. Not following the manufacturers instructions could have had serious consequences!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts