Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother and I will be backpack elk hunting this September in the Lizard Head Wilderness Area. We would like to have a contact of someone that does meat pack out services. The only thing that we can seem to find online is full drop camp services. We would only be interested in contacting a wrangler if we had an elk down further in than what we'd want to carry out on our backs. Not that we wouldn't do it, it is just nice to know we have a back up plan.

Also, this is our first trip to this area and have only been able to Internet scout it. If anyone has any usefull information about the Lizard Head area it would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to respond or pm me. Thanks for any and all help.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,528 Posts
Don't have any info for you, but make sure your packer is licensed or there could be fines involved.
Usually that means outfitters only, and they will only do packouts if available. Which means they have nothing better to do. Otherwise, they are only concerned with the bigger money that comes from longer commitments.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have any info for you, but make sure your packer is licensed or there could be fines involved.
Usually that means outfitters only, and they will only do packouts if available. Which means they have nothing better to do. Otherwise, they are only concerned with the bigger money that comes from longer commitments.
Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the licensing requirement. Guys that I work with that have been, talk about just paying someone that's out riding the trails.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
most guide services that hold the lease will offer a pack out service. expect to pay $400 for a pack out. Look and see who holds the hunting lease then contact them.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,528 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the licensing requirement. Guys that I work with that have been, talk about just paying someone that's out riding the trails.
I heard talk last year of the illegal packer and the hunter both being fined for a transaction like that, don't know if it's true but had a guy flat out decline to pack out my elk because of his first hand knowledge of the incident. Unless the guy is doing it for free, he is breaking the law packing out of national forest without a license.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
I heard talk last year of the illegal packer and the hunter both being fined for a transaction like that, don't know if it's true but had a guy flat out decline to pack out my elk because of his first hand knowledge of the incident. Unless the guy is doing it for free, he is breaking the law packing out of national forest without a license.
Yes, more wonderful government control over a transaction that has nothing to do with them.

Is it illegal to rent a horse or two from someone that doesn't have an outfitter license? Is it also illegal for that individual to tag along?

·
Embrace The Suck!
1,953 Posts
Yes, more wonderful government control over a transaction that has nothing to do with them.

Is it illegal to rent a horse or two from someone that doesn't have an outfitter license? Is it also illegal for that individual to tag along?
He needs to tag along to help keep the horses calm right? I mean, they could get fidgety otherwise.

Like anything else....I imagine if you keep your mouth shut you could slip a guy some beer money and no harm would be done.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
He needs to tag along to help keep the horses calm right? I mean, they could get fidgety otherwise.

Like anything else....I imagine if you keep your mouth shut you could slip a guy some beer money and no harm would be done.
There's ways around it, but just the fact that there's a law against it irks me. So let's say I pay a guy to help me carry my stuff from the truck to a camping spot, or even help me set up camp.........I guess that's illegal as well. Technically, if I hitch a ride up hunting with a buddy and give him some gas money that's illegal too.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm all about less Government control, but some of these laws are in place for a reason. If its legal for a guy to pack your stuff from your truck to a camp and set up your camp and then pack your animal out then that's what I call a drop camp. If he stays to help with the horses I'm pretty sure that's called a guided hunt.

If all this was legal then can you imagine the circus that would take place on NF land every fall? I know it just seems like something insignificant (packing out an elk for a guy) but where do you decide what's OK and what's not?

If it was a free for all on NF land with unregulated logging, non permitted outfitting, fire wood cutting wherever you pleased etc then it doesn't sound like a place I would want to hunt. All of these things can make a guy money, therefor is needs to be regulated IMO.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
as of last year their was no outfitter in that area.lizard head is a great area does get a lot of people most years cause of easy access but like any area get off the beaten path and you will find elk .Its in my back yard and we have been seeing elk in the general area .

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Outfitters are not concerned about packing an animal out unless they have nothing else to do, I have talked to numerous ones in my area in case I kill one too far back. If you cannot find an outfitter who is willing to help how could it be wrong to hire a non-outfitter to help you? If this is a law it is wrong.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here's the list of outfitters for unit 71 from the Colorado Outfitter's Association. One of these likely has the outfitting rights for Lizardhead, but I'm not sure which one it might be. Start with Circle K, they have a nice place on the Dolores River not too far from Rico.

Circle K Ranch, Inc. - Allen Cannon
Phone: 970-562-3808

Pinyon Outfitters, LLC - Dennis Pottorff
Phone: 970-739-0892

High Country Connections, Inc. - Casey Veach
Phone: 435-587-5000

Knight Canyon Outfitters, Inc - Bill & Wade Wilson
Phone: 970-327-4614

·
Registered
96 Posts
I collected some names last year but I did not know of the rule so I am not sure if these places are licensed. I assumed if they were advertising they could pack out an elk.

Aspenplace outfitters
970 3171504

Lone Cone Outfitters

970-729-0749

J2f ranch
(970)327-0242

Many ponies outfit
(970) 728-6278

Maybe someone on here who is local has more info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One more thing you might want to consider. When I hunted lizardhead I did not have cell service, so had I wanted someone to pack out an elk from there I would have had to walk to the vehicle and drive a ways. I did have service around lone cone and wilson mesa but not lizardhead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One more thing you might want to consider. When I hunted lizardhead I did not have cell service, so had I wanted someone to pack out an elk from there I would have had to walk to the vehicle and drive a ways. I did have service around lone cone and wilson mesa but not lizardhead.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a delorme inReach 2 way satellite communicator and Dennis with Pinyon carries a satellite phone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts