Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, this is not archery related but I was hoping with all the good contacts here on AT I might be able to find some help for my nephew.

My nephew is a Marine and he's stationed out at Camp Lejeune. He's going to be there for several months, then headed to Iraq. When he finishes his sandbox time he's been told he'll be staying in NC for a while. Anyway, he's 19 and stuck on base and wants to get out and enjoy his time before deployment. He's decided he wants to buy a truck but cannot qualify for anything new (no credit and low pay). He's looking at the used lots in the area of Jacksonville, NC but I'm afraid he's going to get suckered. He's a bit young and naive. He's never had credit and this is his first foray into the real world. Anyway, I'm hoping to find a recommendation down that way for a used dealer or someone looking to sell a decent used truck.

Anyone have any advice or contacts I can pass along to him? PM me if you'd like and we can get on the phone.

Thanks for any advice or assistance.

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
JawsDad said:
Sorry, this is not archery related but I was hoping with all the good contacts here on AT I might be able to find some help for my nephew.

My nephew is a Marine and he's stationed out at Camp Lejeune. He's going to be there for several months, then headed to Iraq. When he finishes his sandbox time he's been told he'll be staying in NC for a while. Anyway, he's 19 and stuck on base and wants to get out and enjoy his time before deployment. He's decided he wants to buy a truck but cannot qualify for anything new (no credit and low pay). He's looking at the used lots in the area of Jacksonville, NC but I'm afraid he's going to get suckered. He's a bit young and naive. He's never had credit and this is his first foray into the real world. Anyway, I'm hoping to find a recommendation down that way for a used dealer or someone looking to sell a decent used truck.

Anyone have any advice or contacts I can pass along to him? PM me if you'd like and we can get on the phone.

Thanks for any advice or assistance.

Call OBT tomm am.... Tell him Darrin sent ya 919-663-3061. He is in NC!!!!

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already sent him a PM and got a response. OBT must be the Godfather of NC.. :wink:

·
Registered
882 Posts
If he's at Jax and looking at lots, it's a guarantee that he'll get robbed... the places around those bases are HORRIBLE about trying to rip off the service kids... OBT will be fair, honest and hook him up and still be able to let him live and eat! =)
~KyGirl~

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
JD, please do all you can to talk him out of this. He will be making payments on a truck he won't be able to drive for a year.

I always thought it would be great to have a car while I was there, Wrong!!

He'll end up as the designated driver for everyone to everywhere at all hours of the day and night. He will be asked constantly to borrow the truck, and be the bad guy if he says no. The payment, insurance, registration, inspection, gas, maintinance... he will spend his entire paycheck keeping this thing road worthy. Not to mention the hassle of DUI.

There is a bus service and taxi's that will go anywhere he needs to go.

Been there, done that. :)

Get him to save his money and buy a truck when he returns.

Bill

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Being a fellow service member I have to agree with Bellows on this one. I would do NOTHING till I get back from Iraq or wherever he will be stationed over seas. Nothing like paying for a vehicle that you cant drive, I have made that mistake and it sucks. More then likely he will be over there for over a year and most cars that sit for a year without anything being done to them have issues when you want to drive them. Bellows is right about being a taxi for everyone else in his platoon which is nice sometimes but when you and a girl friend of you are....... well you get the idea. You get calls at all hrs of the night and it gets old after a while. Hope you get him to make the right choice. If he really has his mind set, have him look on base. There is always someone PCSing to a different base and if overseas they usually sell their car really cheap or give it away to a lucky individual if they have to leave right away.
Good Luck

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
I see this kid driving a Lucerne very soon. :D :D :p :p

Seriously, OBT would help him I am sure with understanding the basics.

I agree with others having been stationed overseas. But unless something has changed, if you show any gap in your insurance, it is tough to get insured cheaply or on your own policy. Buy a beater and keep it insured because I was insured in the UK and driving, but back here in the US, they didn't recognize that and it was a gap. It costed lots and I had to be on my dad's policy for a while.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. I will certainly relay that info to him. He is at least trying to be a bit smart and not drop a ton of money on a truck. I did not consider the "borrow a car, borrow a friend" angle. I'll be sure to bring that up with him tomorrow when I speak with him again. But, he's a kid and has a little money and thinks he knows what he wants.. :noidea:

He's a great kid and I'm sure he'll get taken advantage of on the used lots and now that you mention it, probably by his "friends" on base. He's struggling a bit right now being a solid christian who does not drink, smoke and trying to do the right thing with the female of the species. He feels a bit lost on the down time since all the guys in his unit instantly leave to drink with the locals at the strip clubs or worse. He thinks if he can get a truck he'll be able to go fish, hunt or get away from the craziness before he heads to the real craziness.

One advantage I've been able to offer is that my step-mother-in-law lives in Greenville, NC. She has a really nice 4 car garage/workshop that her husband built before he died. I've arranged for his truck to be stored there while he's deployed. At least then it will be away from base and protected while is gone.

Thanks again for the input. I knew there would be plenty of good opinions around here.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
He's a great kid and I'm sure he'll get taken advantage of on the used lots and now that you mention it, probably by his "friends" on base. He's struggling a bit right now being a solid christian who does not drink, smoke and trying to do the right thing with the female of the species. He feels a bit lost on the down time since all the guys in his unit instantly leave to drink with the locals at the strip clubs or worse. He thinks if he can get a truck he'll be able to go fish, hunt or get away from the craziness before he heads to the real craziness.
The military has destroyed a many young man and woman's morals. It is wise to be prepared for a complete different culture and lifestyle if you don't want to fall into the trap.

In this respect, he should talk to some that have managed to stay out of this trap while doing something great and wonderful.....serving our country. Nothing says you need to smoke and drink and chase loose women while serving.

There are many outside of the bases that prey on the young and new recruits and their families. He needs to be careful making certain decisions.

·
Registered
235 Posts
the buses at lejeune no longer run, they did away with that quite a few years ago. and the taxi's can get expensive. but, he should wait till he gets back from iraq. i've been there too and it sucks not having a car but, to buy it and have it sit for a his tour and having to keep up insurance and everything else will be a pain. even if he puts it in the base storage for deploying members, when he gets back he would have to probably get a new battery, tires, fluids and keep up the insurance. tell him just to hold off, save his money and wait till he gets back and use the boot leather express for now.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I totally agree with not buying a vehicle before he gets back. I've seen many a young guy/gal screw up their credit and paycheck by buying too soon. Plus, he should have a bigger down payment when he gets back, meaning his monthly payment will be much lower. If he doesn't have a family, then a small high gas mileage car should work better for him.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm definitely going to recommend that he avoid doing anything right now. Or if he does, he goes as cheaply as possible.

If he does buy something I think I might fly myself or his Dad out there and bring it back. That way we can maintain it. If he goes cheap enough we can keep up his insurance while he's doing the job.

I'm preparing for the inevitable. Like I said, he's 19. He's not going to listen to reason.. :chortle:

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
JawsDad, I am in the Raleigh area and I know OBT is in Siler City. Keep me posted on what I may be able to help with. I do not have any contacts in Greenville/Jacksonville, but I can definately find some information in Wilson, NC and Morehead City, NC if need be. They are further east towards the coast!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If he is that young and having trouble with his credit, it would be wise for him to get with his chain of command and have them look at what his payments and interest rates will be, especially living next to a military base, the car dealers around them will try and rip off a youngster, i know this because billy cash autos did it to one of the soldiers here in GA, but now everyone knows they are a ripoff. Good Luck

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heilman181 said:
JawsDad, I am in the Raleigh area and I know OBT is in Siler City. Keep me posted on what I may be able to help with. I do not have any contacts in Greenville/Jacksonville, but I can definately find some information in Wilson, NC and Morehead City, NC if need be. They are further east towards the coast!

Thanks.. The more contacts out there the better. :thumb:

As for the credit issue. I'll have to give the kid some kudos. He's been smart enough that he's trying to do it all through the Navy credit union rather than one of the "we tote the note" lots. He's not going to get a ton of money on the loan but apparently he's getting a 5% rate from the Navy. That's pretty stinking good.. But, I guess they figure they know where to collect... :wink:

Thanks for all the help, opinions and advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts