Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting back into bow hunting, but I haven't hunted with a bow in 15 years. I got an email with a discount at an online place for 30%. Figured what better time than now to get one. They don't have a great selection so I figured I'd ask here for some advice on what to get. A lot of what they have are packages. The Brute package is only available in 60# form. Is there a huge difference in performance between 60# and 70# draw? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

PSE Brute 70# $280
PSE Brute 60# package $350
Martin Exile 70# package $284
Martin Ridge Hunter 70# package $346

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
the pse brute isn't a signature bow but shoots like one, i was very impressed when i went to cabela's and shot everything they had! i would go with the 60# b/c it comes with the package, really 70#'s is overkill. i have 70 and have thought about getting a 60 next time. i have no one to impress, also would like to be able to shoot a vertical bow in to my 60's and 70's if i live that long...lol as many will say try them all out first though, everyone has a different feel. good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
there is a difference between 60 and 70 especially if you plan on wanting higher speed arrows...if you get a bow with a peak of 70 then you can build up to it. 70 is a common weight many ppl shoot. check out the mission line of bows they have some nice bows built by matthews at an inexpensive price. my advice to you is no matter what you get to get a bare bow and build it to what you want in a bow. that way you can get exactly what you want in accessories.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
there is a difference between 60 and 70 especially if you plan on wanting higher speed arrows...if you get a bow with a peak of 70 then you can build up to it. 70 is a common weight many ppl shoot. check out the mission line of bows they have some nice bows built by matthews at an inexpensive price. my advice to you is no matter what you get to get a bare bow and build it to what you want in a bow. that way you can get exactly what you want in accessories.
yeah if he's got another $400.00 tucked away sure...lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can also get the
PSE Stinger 60# package for $280
Martin Saber 60# package for $276
Martin Exile 60# package for $284

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts

This is where I disagree totally! 70# does not give you more speed. By matching a 60# bow with the correct arrows and all else being equal they will perform the same. And as far as "building up" yeah, maybe if you're young. I'm 37 and after a couple shoulder surgeries, no more "building up!" I would not recommend a 70# bow to someone just returning to archery. The idea is to enjoy shooting!

My advice would be to try out several different models, be it at the box store you are talking about or a dealer. Keep an open mind and ignore the name on the limbs. Find one that feels like an extension of you. That's the one to get!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I wouldn't recommend 70# to practically anyone. There's just no need for it in standard target shooting, 3D or hunting. The only time I'd want a 70 pound or greater bow is for hunting very large/dangerous game such as big bears, cape buffalo etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So go with the 60# bow? Which one, the Exile or the Brute?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
go shoot both and get the one that feels the best. Its as easy as that bud.
Not really. I'm out of town working with no bow shops nearby. Also the sale ends Monday so I gotta order the bow blind and hope I like it. That's why I'm turning to the experts here

·
Registered
487 Posts
A 60 lb bow will kill anything in north america,practice practice practice.I've been shooting for over 30 years and shot a 70lb bow up until 2009.
The modern bows have a lot more speed and KE than even bows made 7 or 8 years ago.Get something that fits and go play you will enjoy it a lot longer
if you go with a little lighter bow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i've shot the martin cheetah which isn't available anymore but it is extremly similar to the exile and i have to say i was very impressed. it was fast, quiet, very smooth and there wasn't any vibration in the cheetah. it was a very nice bow. i've not shot the brute so i can't say anything about it. as far as limbs. all martin bows are adjustable up to 15 lbs. so if you get the 70# limb you can tune the weight back to 55lbs with an allen wrench and if you wanta increase the weight from lower, again you use an allen wrench. almost all bows have a range of draw weights anyhow. glad to hear theres another bow hunter coming in, good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I went with the 70# PSE Brute. Reason being is the local bow shop doesn't deal with Martin bows that much, so if I have a problem I'll feel better taking the PSE to them. Also went with 70# as I shoot a lot of hogs and figured it couldn't hurt. Ordered the PSE Brute, Apache rest, and PSE quiver for $350 to my door. I haven't decided on a sight yet. Looking for something that is reasonably priced. Taking suggestions!

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
The brute is a great bow. Very underrated IMO

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well, I went with the 70# PSE Brute. Reason being is the local bow shop doesn't deal with Martin bows that much, so if I have a problem I'll feel better taking the PSE to them. Also went with 70# as I shoot a lot of hogs and figured it couldn't hurt. Ordered the PSE Brute, Apache rest, and PSE quiver for $350 to my door. I haven't decided on a sight yet. Looking for something that is reasonably priced. Taking suggestions!
Nice bow... But mark my words, you'll regret buying it in 70 pounds someday :wink:

PSE and Cobra make quality sights for decent prices.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
This is where I disagree totally! 70# does not give you more speed. By matching a 60# bow with the correct arrows and all else being equal they will perform the same.
I have a pair of 60lb bows, and if you stay with the IBO rated shaft, in terms of grains per lb of bow weight, they are exactly as fast as a 70lb bow with the gpp rating. Obviously, the 60lb bow will not shoot the same weight arrow the same speed as a 70lb bow.

If you go with a recent design, it will out shoot almost every bow made since you stopped shooting fifteen years ago. My 60lb Katera and Alphaburner are faster than any 70-75lb bow I've owned in the past, even with arrows of the same weight. My 52lb Vulcan/51lb Turbotec shoot the same CX200, at exactly the same speed as my old 60lb Magnatec and Vipertec. Both were deadly whitetail bows, and so are the Vulcan and the Turbotec.

70lb bows, or even 80lb bows are fine if you can shoot them, but they are not reall needed for whitetails, or even for elk.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice bow... But mark my words, you'll regret buying it in 70 pounds someday :wink:
I may but I'll only bow hunt maybe 4 weekends this year and rifle hunt the rest. My hunting camp is mostly wide open hardwood river bottom leading up to a field that is 125 yards wide and 1100 yards long. We have some big deer but they tend to stay nocturnal due to pressure from surrounding properties. It would kill me to have a big buck walk out and stay 100 yards away from me. I'm primarily getting a bow to kill hogs and a big deer if he happens to walk by. If I don't like the bow, then I'll keep the accessories and sell it and upgrade, but for the few times I'll hunt, I think I can deal with a 70# draw.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I would suggest dropping the DW to it's minimum then getting to shooting. These are muscles that you never use for anything else and it's important to be able to draw and shoot easily and effortlessy so you can get some quality practice it. You'll probably find 60# on newer bows feels like 70+ on bows from 10 years ago. They're just more aggressive and store more energy. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt ANYTHING with a modern 60# bow.

As for a sight, look at Sword sights. They are very well built, have all the good features, are all metal in construction and they cost $100 and less, depending on model. Some are very, very inexpensive. Like this one here, which is their more economical hunting model..... http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sword-saber-sight.html

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The 60# Brute package will serve you well in returning to bowhunting. A quality package from an excellent company. The 60# bow married to the correct spined arrow will have any whitetail enjoying his last taste of acorns.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just switched from a 70# PSE to a 50# Mathews. Couldn't be happier. Shooting better with less effort, stress and fatigue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts