Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals! I need a recomendation on an insulated jacket/parka for late season hunting. I am looking a the ones listed below. Have any of you tried these and if so what is your opinion. All are from Cabela's.

Outfitter Series Parka (3 in 1, Parka)
SuperSlam Series Jacket/Parka
Revolution Fleece Dry Plus Parka
Dry Plus Silent Suede Jacket
Late Season Thinsulate Lite Loft Parka

Thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

Has anyone tried any of these products.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Have you considered down vests? They keep the body core warm but don't inhibit body movement that is nessersay when shooting a bow. They are very light weight and probably the best insulating material out there. I actually wear 2 down vests over a fleece vest.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Silent Suede

I use the Silent Suede jacket. It works well at keeping me warm and dry and it's pretty quiet at cold temperatures.

As was mentioned previously - a down vest is great. I added that as a layer last year and was amazed at how well it does to keep your core warm.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I go with multiple layers and not a big heavy parka. First layer I will wear is a long sleave cotton t-shirt. I then will either wear a wool sweater, or light camo fleece jacket I have. This is all I'll usually wear till I get up in my stand. I then wear my scent lock base layer that zips up tight around my neck. With these three layers I am warm till about 20 degrees. If it is colder than that, which it usually is in Wisconsin I will then will wear a light cotton based jacket over the top. The key with really cold weather is layering. You want to trap as much air as possible next to your body and one big parka won't do it. With cold weather make sure your clothing is very quiet, noise travels a long way when its cold. You don't have to be as concerned with scent because your warm body air rises the colder it is.

If it's really cold I will put hot packs with adhesive to my base layer at the small of my back. The real key to staying warm in cold weather though is your feet, hands, and head. If any of the three are cold your done.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Cotton is the one item of clothing you do not want against your skin. Moisture will not wick thru the cotton and once it gets wet ( which is will from perspiration) it will chill your body quickly. There are many synthetic materials available today that will wick the moisture away from your skin and help to reduce heat loss.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I wear a Carhartt w/hood in Mossy Oak break-up. It keeps me warm and fairly dry. I do live in a different climent than I would guess you do. Durring the season it can get down in the teens but rairly snows when its that cold. So staying dry isn't much of an issue for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I Have A Revolution Fleece Parka And Pants. I Love The Pants With The Dry Plus Lining You Dont Need Anything Layered Underneath. The Parka With 150 Gram Insulationa And Scentlok Is Worm But To Bulky To Shoot With. I Found It Better To Layer With The Wool Trek-tech Sweater With Windshear From Cabelas And A Lighter Jacket On The Outside.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
It is amazing how much warmer I have found I can stay, even with less heavy clothing, now that I have purged my hunting wardrobe of cotton. Cold is one thing, cold and wet is another thing. Regardless of how cold it is, its hard not to sweat at some point in the hunt. The cotton holds onto the moisture and will freeze you out before the temperature will.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

Thanks for all of the great insight. I didn't see any products in the Cabelas catalog with down. They were all synthetics. However, my requirement for this jacket/parka will probably be used more for the late muzzleloader season. I usually just go with overall bibs and a light jacket when cool weather bow hunting.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Look into PolarTec. It’s great for layering, light fast drying and very warm. If it’s not raining, I wear it as an outer layer from about 55 degrees and below.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Volfan said:
Thanks for all of the great insight. I didn't see any products in the Cabelas catalog with down. They were all synthetics. However, my requirement for this jacket/parka will probably be used more for the late muzzleloader season. I usually just go with overall bibs and a light jacket when cool weather bow hunting.
Look online - they have a couple jackets with down insulation. IMO, down is too bulky for a jacket insulation and that jacket is always for cold weather. Buy a down vest instead that can be layered. My wife bought me one from Cabelas, but I exchanged it for one from either LLBean or Land's End (can't remember right now) as it was better quality and I liked the features better.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Dredly said:
I haven't sorry. But I will vouch for the Cabelas MT050 cold winter stuff. WORKS AMAZINGLY well!
Totally agree, my MTO50 Whitetail Extreme Parka and Bibs are THE best cold weather gear I've ever bought!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I gave up my super slam bibs and parka long ago for Day One Camo's insulated windstop bibs, vest and parka.

I used to look for ways to avoid wearing a parka or heavy coat. The Day One parka is so comfy, I will wear it with only a thin shirt underneath when temps get in the 40's.

·
Registered
18,883 Posts
Remember those two guys that died a few years ago, frozen to death, no more than a hundred yards from their truck? Cotton. The interviewed experts called it "Death by Cotton". There's a reason that towels are made out of it: it traps and holds water like a sponge.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We bought the Cabela's MT050 coveralls last year and believe me when I tell you we never, ever, got cold!

One day last year my daughter and I sayed out all through a rain/snow storm and never got wet or cold...........but we didnt see any deer either! :cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts