Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed out to hunt this afternoon. I'm getting hydrated up now and getting ready to hit the shower.

I recently picked up a Carry-Lite deer decoy.

I'm dying to use it. You guys got any recomendations for me?

Buck or doe?

One antler or both?

Angle / position relative to me, etc.

I'll be on the ground hunting out of a blind. It's been raining like a beeyotch here and I'll be dry and cool...waiting for them to come out when it stops.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
i definitely wouldn't use a buck decoy this early. From my experience it scares most deer when the rut is not on.

I used a Renzoy 2D decoy and after using it for the first time last I would not use again until the rut. It did more harm than good.

Since you're in a different part of the country your experiences might be different, but I would definitely try it w/o antlers for now.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We did a hunting tip on decoy use on our TV show, BuckeyeCam Fair Chase Encounters. If you want to watch it go to www.myoutdoortv.com and click on our show. If you don't have the time I will try to help. If you are going after a buck use a buck decoy and place the decoy about 15 yards away quatering tword you stand. If you want to shoot a doe DO NOT take the decoy out. Those old does do not like decoys!!!. Be sure to spray the decoy down with scent elimination spray and understand that decoys do not work everytime. I thing that we have learned is to have the decoy in an area that is open so the deer can see from a distance and not just popping out on top of it. Just my .02 worth. We do use decoys in our videos and if you want to check them out go to www.slungerhollow.com.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may leave it at home for this afternoon and give it a whirl in mid Oct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts