Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on building a self bow from lemonwood. My bow stave measures 3/4 inch by 2 1/8 inch. I plan to use a glue on riser and a pyramid bow design. The bow I am planning has a 6 inch handle with 3 inch transition to widest point of limb. Therefore the middle section of bow being 12 inches. The limbs will be 2 1/8 inches wide at the widest point with a straight taper to 1/2 knocks. I was planning on making the bow 68 inches long knock to knock. This would make the working section of each limb 28" long. Is this design sufficient for this wood.

Any advice or help that can be given in making a bow from lemonwood would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jake

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'd say it would do fine but I've never worked with lemon wood. The pyramid style bows I've done have all been in hickory. You could shorten the handle to 4-4.5" and gain a touch more working limb, if wanted. Also, I like to taper to 3/8" at the nocks, but that's me.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
howard hill stands by lemonwood as the best, but i haven't heard of too many people using it. as for the design, try it on a different wood. i think yours will work, but if this is you first time using that design try it on something lesser. i get frustrated when i mess up a good piece of wood:mad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts