Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the scenerio...because of a family squabble I cannot hunt on previous land I normally hunt on. I only have one place to hunt. Its only 7-8 acres of land and it sits against 1000's of acres of pine plantation owned by someone esle. I only have enough space to plant on small food plot (maybe a little larger than a half acre but it consists of beautiful peas, wheat, rye grass, and rape. The soil is VERY good). I scouted it out several weeks ago and found 2 relatively medium to large size (last year) scrapes. Ive had my camera out for about 3 weeks and so far Ive only gotten a few does on them (I think its 2 seperate groups of a mother and 2 little ones). Our season starts Oct. 15th but our rut usually gets kicked in about the last of December and on into January. I do not feel the property Im hunting holds alot of deer, but Im thinking that the old scrapes were made by bucks traveling through or not in there "normal territory".....My theory is this (and you guys tell me your thoughts and ideas). I'm going to hold off on shooting anything (unless I luckly see a B & C) until the rut gets here and see what happens then. What to ya'll think?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hunt it very sparingly, if at all if you are hoping for rut action. It doesn't take a lot of doing to push deer out of 7 acres. The longer you leave it alone, the better for the deer, and the more comfortable they will be in using that bit of land.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I think holding off is a good idea. You should see some bucks from the pine plantation venturing onto your area at that time, when they're chasing does.

·
Only visiting this planet
4,216 Posts
dave-t. said:
Hunt it very sparingly, if at all if you are hoping for rut action. It doesn't take a lot of doing to push deer out of 7 acres. The longer you leave it alone, the better for the deer, and the more comfortable they will be in using that bit of land.
What he said.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey,
I feel your pain...TRUST me. The best way to hunt that is hit it hard when you believe the deer you want to shoot will be there, otherwise you WILL burn it out.
Maybe try hunting some public lands until the rut, then hit your hot spot..

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3L_Archer said:
savedbygrace,

Our season opens October 14th this year.:darkbeer:

3L
O yea thats right I forgot........Thanks for the reminder......:cocktail:

and thanks for all the comments....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts