Archery Talk Forum banner

what would you do?

need advice on vane choice with clearance issues on alphamax 32

1113 Views 22 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  SEOBowhntr
i posted this is general archery, but haven't had many responses. I probably should have put it here because i am a hunter first, target shooter second because i need to be accurate when i hunt

dilemna:

Recently purchased a new am32

I just got my bow retuned after the initial 150 or so shots and i am once again shooting bullet holes anywhere between point blank and 20 yds on the paper (indoors)

well then get home and i start to notice a light streak on the riser which i assume is from fletch contact, sp i put some powder on and confirm yes it is the duravane fusions making contact on the riser.... and i can't turn the nock any direction that will avoid this. i have been very concentrated on my shooting form and have been reassured that my form is good

at 20 yds - good groups with both field points and broadheads
at 30 yds (outdoors) - not so good either way, seems to be a bit eratic especially with broadheads

i have been bugging the crap out of the guys at the shop the last few days and i guess these are my choices:

1. keep shooting it as is
2. try re-fletching with 4" low profile duravanes
3. other?? if you say other i need to know what that is??

feathers are not an option for me

what would you do?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,016 Posts
See if yo can find an anchor less sight to use for a afternoon. get set up with it ans see if you still rub on the way out. If you still rub then you might be forced to use a low or regular profile vane, also try feathers I liked the way they shot out of my bow when I used them but they are spendy

· Registered
3,016 Posts
Point of AS

Sorry the point of the AS, is it makes sure you are holding the bow correctly give it a try and see what you get.

· Registered
5,920 Posts
You should have plenty of clearance, why can't you turn the nock??? I did the exactly that with my Trykon XL to make clearance for the blazers, and I'm putting FP's and BH's together at 50yds. I do on a RARE occasion get a little ruffle on my mole skin on the riser, but it usually doesn't result in a flyer. Some of the issue may be BH/FP weight as well. If you're not shooting a loop, that may help a little as well. I found that switching to a loop helped me with all my set-ups.

· Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should have plenty of clearance, why can't you turn the nock??? I did the exactly that with my Trykon XL to make clearance for the blazers, and I'm putting FP's and BH's together at 50yds. I do on a RARE occasion get a little ruffle on my mole skin on the riser, but it usually doesn't result in a flyer. Some of the issue may be BH/FP weight as well. If you're not shooting a loop, that may help a little as well. I found that switching to a loop helped me with all my set-ups.
i shoot with a loop. i tried turning the nock cockvane at 1 oclock, cock vane out, all angles creates a problem, can't put it straight down either down with the qad, all caused contact. i am sick over it, $1500 on this setup, and i didnt expect this to be an issue.

· Registered
3,720 Posts
What diameter shaft are you shooting? As super fat shaft will push your vanes closer to riser. Also, have you measured your center shot to see if it's close to spec. Is your quad timed right, it should not matter at all what orientation the fletching is, if timed right you won't get any contact. I have heard complaints of the quads being slow to fall sometimes. Have you tried another rest(ripcord, limbdriver, etc.). Just some options to consider.

· Registered
388 Posts
I feel your pain with the feathers, I felt the same way until I bought a jig and started doing my own. They are super easy to work with and I rarely hunt in the rain.

I shot Blazers that had contact on my HC Speed Pro. Switching to feathers I get much better arrow flight. If feathers have contact the result is much less dramatic as opposed to vanes.

If it is still not an option, try Duravane's 3d mini's. Super low profile but 4" long.

I looked at them but was hesitant because I was not sure how well they would stabilize fixed blades.

· Registered
3,016 Posts
Is the string on the QAD on the Down cable? If it is not then the rest will not work right. Had this problem myself. I shoot with the cock vane out with mine and have no issues.

· Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What diameter shaft are you shooting? As super fat shaft will push your vanes closer to riser. Also, have you measured your center shot to see if it's close to spec. Is your quad timed right, it should not matter at all what orientation the fletching is, if timed right you won't get any contact. I have heard complaints of the quads being slow to fall sometimes. Have you tried another rest(ripcord, limbdriver, etc.). Just some options to consider.
well the maxima 350 hunters i believe are a bit fatter that the regulars, and i think the the qad is timed right, the contact is on the riser, not the rest which seems to be dropping away just fine

· Registered
5,920 Posts
i shoot with a loop. i tried turning the nock cockvane at 1 oclock, cock vane out, all angles creates a problem, can't put it straight down either down with the qad, all caused contact. i am sick over it, $1500 on this setup, and i didnt expect this to be an issue.
Don't get frustrated, you'll get it figured out, and then it will be enjoyable rather than frustrating. I personally don't like the QAD's because they aren't the friendliest for clearance issues. If you haven't had it that long, maybe the shop will let you swap it out for something different. You should be able to turn the cock vane to about 1 1/2 o-clock and get a little more clearance. Turn the nock until you loose clearance to the bottom, then see how far you can go back. I have a TT Micro Adjust on my bow, and I can shoot it almost 360* without too much problem (another rest that I've heard a few guys like for clearance issues is the Drop-Zone, but I have had a couple bows that I just couldn't get clearance, and it's VERY frustrating.

i dont think they sell them at my shop, i have no experience with them, so id like to find a vane that works, or new setup for my bow
If their a decent shop, they have them, no doubt, but I personally don't like them unless there on arrows flying out of my recurve.

· Registered
367 Posts
im shooting 2" blazer vanes on a easton axis n fused 340 shaft 100 grain tip at 70# my broadheads and field points shoot awsome congrads on the am 32 good luck with it

· Registered
5,920 Posts
well the maxima 350 hunters i believe are a bit fatter that the regulars, and i think the the qad is timed right, the contact is on the riser, not the rest which seems to be dropping away just fine
I'll tell you this much as well, those 350's are probably too STIFF unless you left them at 30" and put a 125gr. tip on them. You'd likely be better off with something with a softer spine. Move the rest to the LEFT, don't paper tune, just move the rest to the left, enough to get clearance, and see what kind of groups you shoot out to 30yds. One thing I know about ST's is that they will fly GREAT even out of poorly tuned bow, a bow that isn't spined right with it's arrows, etc. If you're getting fletching contact, you certainly have something wrong, best place to start may be getting rid of the fletching contact and working from there!!! Good Luck!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.