Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today was missouris opener.this evening at about 6:30 i had a tall 7 point come down the trail at 19yds.the shot was slightly quartering too me from what i could see the arrow entered a tad bit back. also my stand was a bout 30 feet up so it was a pretty hard angle i think it exited low on his other side the arrow was buried in the dirt about 3 feet behind the deer it was covered in blood and had a little bit of what looked like tallow on it.i tracked it for approx. 200yds before i lost light at one point he climbed a pretty steep hill and just poured the blood out it.once i topped the hill the blood started to get less it was at this point that i decided to back out as it was getting dark.from the way things look i think i got one lung and exited too low on the opposite side.the blood did have some little air bubbles in it.any help would be appreciated. i know i wont sleep much tonight.:sad:

·
Registered
981 Posts
You pushed him, let him lie and he might bed and die, thats why I never take a quartering to shot, to easy to mess up.
I think he will be dead in the am, sounds like a nice deer:darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Yes....unfortunately you probably got one lung and clipped his liver.

The liver "rides" higher on their right side.

In you excitement you pushed him = he could have gone another 400 yards.

He'll be dead in the morning.

The next question is where did you find the "last blood".

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the last blood was where he topped the hill. i dont think i pushed him i waited about 45 min after the shot. he spooked a bunch of turkeys on the hill when he ran up it that was only about 30-45sec after the shot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with above - could have been been a partial gut shot. Best thing to do if you suspect that is to wait several hours, otherwise you'll push him. He'll bleed like crazy for awhile until part of insides moves and closes the exit hole, thus less of a blood trail. The more he is forced to travel, the more of a chance the exit hole will close. My .02

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
You did right by pulling out. Hopefully you didnt kick him up. If you didnt I would say that he is pretty close to where you left the blood trail after that hill you said he climbed. Also, I hope that the coyotes arent bad in your area.You will either find him close to where you left or you will begin to find pools of blood where he is bedding down. If you only hit one lung he will continue to get up occasionally and move around due to his discomfort. You will find several pools of blood where he has bedded. If you clipped one lung I would say that your chances of recovering him are 50/50 (at best). If you loose the blood trail then go back to the last blood you found and begin walking circles around that spot, slowly circling further and further out until you pick up blood again. You may also enlist a local tracking dog if possible.

Good luck bud

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
hmmm

Nearly every quartered to shot is gonna exit in the gut area, and w/ that angle it may be a low exit. You prolly hit only one lung, maybe the kidney, and the guts are clogging the hole up. Thats just my 2 cents, and some of the other guys said something similar. I know from experience w/ similar shots(last year) that they can go a long way on one lung. I try to give the deer a good 4-8 hrs on a shot like that. I think ya prolly pushed him(it happens to all of us). Let us know how ya make out. I think you will get him in the morning. Good luck :)
P.S. I'm sure it will be a sleepless night.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the advice i know i need to lay off the quartering shots but those deer look so BIG at 20 yds!!!! as bowhunters though we owe it to them to make quick clean kills. hopefully i'll find him in the morning nice and stiff.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
at 19yds.the shot was slightly quartering too me from what i could see the arrow entered a tad bit back. also my stand was a bout 30 feet up so it was a pretty hard angle i think it exited low on his other side

After re-reading your post.....at 30 feet up....was it on his left side or right side?

On a 1/4 to shot.....the lungs are less exposed. Also...the tiny air bubbles may have been from the blood escaping with some body gases. "Good" lung blood typically is more "frothy" = more bubbles, etc..

I see you shoot Wasp SSTs....can't remember fixed or mechanical?

Well...try to get some sleep.........enlist another firend to help you tack. Bring some toilet paper to mark the blood trail.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the arrow entered on his right side and exited low on the left.the wasps are a fixed blade.also the deer was quartering ever so slightly it was more broadside than quartering.i used too shoot the wasp jak-hammer mech. but didnt get the best penetration.the arrow from tonights hit was buried a good 6in. deep in the dirt so i know i didnt hit anything like a shoulder or a rib.

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
same shot happened to me last year and the gut fell into low exit hole and stopped the blood 1 lung, liver, and gut hit deer only went 250yards in a big half circle died 80 yards from my stand 10 yards off the wood road. did not find him for three days no blood no dog most states allow tracking dogs and some have tracking services if making the circles doesn't help go for the dogs if you can used them two time here in new york for friends deer found them both after we gave them up for lost.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I agree, sounds like a one lunger. Bubbles in the blood says so anyways. You should find your deer within 400 yds of where you hit it. Did you see any places in the 200 yds that you tracked it that it stood or layed down? This would indicate it was hit hard. If you track a deer for 200 to 300 yds, and it stays on the move, then that deer will be harder to find. Keep the faith, with what you have said, I think you will find your deer. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
let us know...

Let us know how ya made out. I think you will find him, but I would like to hear the story. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
mofarmboy said:
thanks for all the advice i know i need to lay off the quartering shots but those deer look so BIG at 20 yds!!!! as bowhunters though we owe it to them to make quick clean kills. hopefully I'll find him in the morning nice and stiff.
Not trying to bust your chops but you should lay off that elevation as well or shoot them further out.

At that height and distance from the base of the tree there wasn't much area for point of aim on the exit/entrance.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If you hit him on the right side, slightly quartering to, and you said it looked a little far back, you could have hit 1 lung, liver, diaphragm, or guts.

What kind of blood on the arrow? Did it smell bad? Could you tell how high you hit him?

45 minutes is not nearly enough time for a liver shot deer. He may have stopped and/or bedded where you found all the blood.

You did the right thing backing out.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
headed back out at 7:30 this morning too look for my deer.when i got too the area where i last found blood i was horrified to find about 20 turkeys scratching around in the area.they aften roost on this ridge but they just had to be right where needed to look for blood!after about an hour we started to find more blood and track ed him into a foodplot i have out the lowerpart of which i let grow up for the deer to bed in.i found where he had bedded there was about a 4in. spot of blood all dried up.we tracked him for maybe 10-20 more feet after his bed and lost blood.we then gridded a half mile square and found nothing.i live only about a 1/3 mile from where i shot the deer and last night at about 1 my dog started going nuts a stepped outside and the coyotes were going nuts in the general direction of where my deer bedded.also the spot where he had climbed the hill and poured the blood out was allditurbed each place there was alot of blood the leaves where all dug up.i'm heading back out now to look some more even though the meat is prolly spoiled if he is dead.thabks for all the advice this is one part of bowhunting i dont enjoy.i should have waited for a better true broadside shot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts