Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not much of an archer myself, but my brother is, and he's shown some interest in advancing to making his own bowstrings. He is into traditional archery, longbow and recurve, so his interest is in making strings for that type. Likely plans to make both the Flemish twist and the endless loop.

I'm looking to buy him some christmas gifts, but I'm finding the archery supply stores online are short on descriptions for those of us who don't have much of a clue. :)

What my brother already has:
Serving string
Several kinds of string
Serving tool
String separator
Instruction videos on making strings and the peg board style of jig

What I am thinking of getting him:
Jurassic Jig (and I think I need to get a length of Uni-Strut to bolt it to?)

But is there anything else I should be getting? I have seen mention of a string stretcher, but no idea how necessary it is... again, the descriptions in the online stores are scanty. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
If he plans on building flemish strings, the jurassic jig won't do him any good. He needs to make a flemish board.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
He stated he already has one:

For a very good basic jig for traditional and even the occasional compound, without spending more than necessary:

Joes NEW posts and stretcher is simply amazing, but overkill for the home hobiest.
I read the post. If he plans on building flemish strings, a regular string jig won't work. Most traditional strings are made from dacron. This material doesn't stretch well. It won't stop creeping. If he decides to build his traditional strings like a compound, the string jig would work. If not, it would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I read the post.
OK, well perhaps you missed the part about.

Likely plans to make both the Flemish twist and the endless loop

building flemish strings, a regular string jig won't work.
It absolutely WILL work.

Joe Stark demostrates it the Doing the Twist DVD

I have done it, many times. I'd never use a string board to make a Flemish Twist again after learning how to do it on an endless jig. In fact all you need is a 2x4 and two nails to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!

It absolutely WILL work.

Joe Stark demostrates it the Doing the Twist DVD

I have done it, many times. I'd never use a string board to make a Flemish Twist again after learning how to do it on an endless jig. In fact all you need is a 2x4 and two nails to do it.
Oh, that's the instructional video that he's got, which had me first looking at the various endless loop capable jigs. If there's some use for something like the Yellowstone Micro-Stretcher, I've no problem getting that for him as well... I just don't want to get something that hasn't any value in making the types of strings he wants to.

But I don't mind it being a little bit of overkill to get the two, especially if he wants to go even further with the kinds of strings he makes... then he doesn't have to go buying yet another piece of equipment.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I would say get him the Little Jon string jig. it is also the stretcher in one machine
http://www.bowstringjigs.com/
I fully agree the littlejon is a fantastic machine and I covet one dearly.

But for what he's doing with it it is so much overkill, especially for the $$$. If he were an avid compound shooter and/or had scads of buddies that would be begging him for strings, it'd worth every penny. (I'm trying to save up for one for myself.) But there is nothing you can do w/ the littlejon that you cannot do w/ a good set of posts and a stretcher. It just takes longer and requires a bit more skill.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If there's some use for something like the Yellowstone Micro-Stretcher, I've no problem getting that for him as well... I just don't want to get something that hasn't any value in making the types of strings he wants to.
There is a way of stretching your strings on just a 4-post jig that Larry Wise showed us, but it's cumbersome and inaccurate, IMO. I used to do it that way. The yellowstone micro stretcher has the advantage that you can twist under tension which you cannot do using the the 4-post jig method. Well worth the $, IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts