Archery Talk Forum banner

Need arrow help for short draw shooter

744 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ar1220
I am wanting to venture into the large diameter arrow side of 3D shooting and I'm needing some help on arrow selection or even a starting point for that matter. Here is my bow/arrow setup now:

Mathews htx. 50 lbs. 23" draw
Carbon express blue streak select 250 cut to 24" with blazer vanes and 100 gr field points.
Arrows weigh right at 340 grains.

I have these arrows shooting great but want to try a big diameter arrow, preferably stay with carbon express but is open to all options, thanks in advance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,724 Posts
Look into the goldtip series 22's

You could shoot them with mini-blazers and 80 grain points. . Probably be a killer setup for ya

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,603 Posts
I am wanting to venture into the large diameter arrow side of 3D shooting and I'm needing some help on arrow selection or even a starting point for that matter. Here is my bow/arrow setup now:

Mathews htx. 50 lbs. 23" draw
Carbon express blue streak select 250 cut to 24" with blazer vanes and 100 gr field points.
Arrows weigh right at 340 grains.

I have these arrows shooting great but want to try a big diameter arrow, preferably stay with carbon express but is open to all options, thanks in advance.
CXL's are great arrow and since you want Carbon Express it may be perfect for you.

I used CXL's for a while and then I "tested" the LineJammers. I have a 26" draw and generally use between 58 and 61 lbs. for 3d. The LineJammers are awesome! They are not nearly as fragile as some people like to claim. I have all too often tested their fragility and they hold up as well as any lighter weight arrow. I shot them in K45, K50 and now Senior Known. Because I'm not real concerned with speed I am have 130 grain points up front and the arrow still only weight 335 grains. They shot just fine with 100 grains up front and that is what I would use if I was shooting unknown distance.

If I were you I'd try the CXL's even if you aren't currently an Carbon Express products fan.

In all honesty though unless you are putting the arrow on the 12 ring most every time a bit bigger diameter shaft will not help your scoring much if at all. In fact an arrow that groups just a sliver better than a bigger shaft will easily out score the bigger shaft. A better grouping arrow gets you closer to where you are aiming on EVERY shot on EVERY target. An arrow that groups just .125" (1/8") better at 30 yards will destroy an arrow that is .034" bigger in diameter in scoring.

· Registered
99 Posts
I have shot the goldtip 22 seires for a few years . ii have moved up in size but my wife shoot the 22's @ 24" 35lb with great success.
she really likes them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.