Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how it goes, 12 Sept opening day is here at last! First deer I saw is a buck, but have to shoot a doe first but nothing the rest of the day. Monday I told my wife I am going to go out after work and she said OK! OVER an hour of sunlight left she is calling and texting me crying about where are you, are you lost, I have to take care of all the kids! Then when I got home she told me "no more bow hunting" I am sorry but where I come from that is a good reason to send her packing back to mommy and daddy's house. I have been spending countless hours scouting, hanging trail cameras, stands, $$$$ for everything and she thinks I am not going to not go? What should I say? I was at a loss of words and have not said a word to her since.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Bye!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Do like I do, just agree with her and go anyway. It's worked for me for 19 years!:tongue:

·
preparation>opportunity
3,069 Posts
well i don't really see how bowhunting is worth your kids emotional support structure? I realize that bowhunting is important to you but i'd have to think that there is a comprimise between stopping hunting and leaving your family? just seems to be a little overkill IMO.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You need to explain to her that this is your passion! Some get it and some don't....

I too wonder why it is now a problem? How long have you benn married and now it's an issue?

This is a very tough one as we love the women we marry (most of us). They should want to share "life" together with us, not fight...haha

I have only been married for three years, but it gets better every year. I told her that hunting was part of my life when we started dating....just so she knows!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Do like I do, just agree with her and go anyway. It's worked for me for 19 years!:tongue:

lol...i like that.. me and my wife had this discussion over the weekend and she knows she's not going to keep me from the woods...plus she likes deer meat so she's all about me filling the freezer..i don't know what would come outta my mouth if she tried to tell me no more bowhunting...i'm sure it wouldn't be pretty..

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Young kids and a fulltime hobby is tough, I know been there done that!

Try not to over do it when your not hunting. Keep the shows, mags etc off.

I have a great wife (now) but back in the day when the kids were 3 & 5 it was rough on her...

Remember with kids - "IT'S CHEAPER TO KEEP HER"

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
She is the one that seems a little irrational to me...

Pull some reverse guilt trip stuff on her. Let her goto the mall or shopping or getting her nails or something done that she really likes doing. Then start blowing up her phone asking if she is lost, is she ok? and tell her about taking care of the kids, then when she gets home tell her no more shopping...

Thats what I done and it worked the first time and I havent heard nothing but support since then.

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,422 Posts
You need to explain that you need some ALONE time in the woods, and you need to be willing to give her some ALONE time at the mall, open your wallet a little deeper, that or hire a sitter and get her out in the woods with you! just 6 more days and my wife will become a bowhunters widow,...again :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Better call Uncle Ted and see if he can do a couples counseling session for her.

Seriously, good luck with that. Cant condone walking away from a marriage but also would not give up bowhunting. That's a tough one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yep!
That's why I never got married. I don't need to be miserable when Fall rolls around. I'm very happy being single and 15' up! :wink:

·
Registered
579 Posts
i'm leaving to go on a job tonight for 7 weeks so there goes my season,i'm taking off from the 4th to the 11th of november
I GOT MARRIED AND I GUESS MY XXXWIFE THOUGHT I WAS GONNA STOP HUNTING ---- NOTICE I SAID XXX :wink::wink::beer::beer:

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
She is the one that seems a little irrational to me...

Pull some reverse guilt trip stuff on her. Let her goto the mall or shopping or getting her nails or something done that she really likes doing. Then start blowing up her phone asking if she is lost, is she ok? and tell her about taking care of the kids, then when she gets home tell her no more shopping...

Thats what I done and it worked the first time and I havent heard nothing but support since then.
Thats a man with a plan LOL.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
I went through this once with an ex. By the time I got back to the truck I had 9 txt messages! :eek: I just said look, this is what I do, this is the way I do it, and I've been doing it that way for 20 years. To expect me to completely change is pure lunacy. After a year we were done and I moved on. Now I have a wonderful gal that supports me and even shows some interest. :)

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,005 Posts
My wife and I had that discussion once. Notice I said once, I told her I had been bowhunting for three years before I met her and would continue to bowhunt long after her. She got the message and I haven't had a problem for about 30 years.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Try to get one, some or all of them involved in it. This year might be a bust for you since that takes a lot of time to do. Start out slow with little things. Personally, I love bowhunting more than anything else I do in the outdoors, but it isn't the only thing I do outdoors and it ain't worth loosing my family.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
I went through this once with an ex. By the time I got back to the truck I had 9 txt messages! :eek: I just said look, this is what I do, this is the way I do it, and I've been doing it that way for 20 years. To expect me to completely change is pure lunacy. After a year we were done and I moved on. Now I have a wonderful gal that supports me and even shows some interest. :)

To add to that, during the off season I do spend the bulk of my time with her and we do many things together, some I don't really care for but she does so I oblige. I've found this goes a long way and once October rolls around she lets me be. She knows that by the end of January she has me back until the next October.

Also she does go on a few hunts with me as long as it over 60 out and we stay on the ground. LOL!

1 - 20 of 381 Posts