Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fletching the new style Blazers and so far I think they are worse than the old style, Cant seem to get the front corner of the cock vane to lie flat (Neon Yellow Tiger). Also they seem to need more adhesive than the old style. If some of you folks that have success fletching Blazers, getting them to seat on the shaft while still applying offset or helical could you please post photos of your jig setting and where you place the Blazer in the clamp. ( how far from nock and how deep in clamp) Im using a Bitzenburger with both a straight and right helical clamp and am not having the best luck. I am trying AMG Carbond but do not feel this is the problem...

Thanks
BD

· Registered
1,544 Posts
i was having trouble the other day also, i ended up using less offset than i wanted to and had to apply some extra glue around the edges to get the dang things to stick. i'm glad they were just target arrows but its still a pain in the butt.

· Registered
3,402 Posts
I haven't tried any of the 'new' Blazers as I bought 100s a couple years ago (got a good deal) and am still using those LOL But, I always use a straight clamp slightly offset when I do mine...I find them very difficult to apply if trying to use a helical clamp...I use Goat Tough glue...never have a problem with them...

...I'm just wondering why you'd only have a problem with the cock vane and not all the vanes...only difference should be the color...

· Registered
3,402 Posts
Something tells me the Neon Yellow may be a little stiffer material than the other color Im using (camo) which is not letting it conform to the curve of the arrow as easily as the camo vain
It's possible that the color choices could have some type of variances. Have you tried contacting Blazer to see if this is a possibility?

Are these for hunting or target? Just curious, as I prefer bright vanes on my hunting arrows so they are easier to track during flight, find in the brush, etc. Also, most hunting arrows are smaller diameter than target arrows (esp indoor target shooters who prefer the very large diameters since there is no wind to contend with)...large diameters would make it easier for the Blazers to conform to the shaft...just some thoughts going through my head when I should be sleeping LOL

Also, when I do my arrows, I always add a little extra dab of glue at the front and back of the Blazers....seems to help them hold on better...not a big glob...just a little dab...

· Registered
181 Posts
I use Blazer vanes, slightly offset with no problems.

Be sure to clean both the arrow and vane surface with denatured alcohol (or at least 90% alcohol) and let dry thoroughly before applying vanes.

Mine adhere so well I've pulled the arrow vane end through the target without them being ripped loose.

P.S. I use Duro Super Glue (regular, not the gel) as my adhesive.

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's possible that the color choices could have some type of variances. Have you tried contacting Blazer to see if this is a possibility?

Are these for hunting or target? Just curious, as I prefer bright vanes on my hunting arrows so they are easier to track during flight, find in the brush, etc. Also, most hunting arrows are smaller diameter than target arrows (esp indoor target shooters who prefer the very large diameters since there is no wind to contend with)...large diameters would make it easier for the Blazers to conform to the shaft...just some thoughts going through my head when I should be sleeping LOL

Also, when I do my arrows, I always add a little extra dab of glue at the front and back of the Blazers....seems to help them hold on better...not a big glob...just a little dab...
These will be hunting arrows, the diameter of the shaft is approx .295 about the size of a GoldTip 5575. I think it has to do with the Flourescent colors being a different compound than the regular colors which may make the bases stiffer, what do others think >>> It seems there is no trouble with adhesion if you cant get full contact of the vane to the shaft.

· Registered
1,884 Posts
This should help your problem.....

#73 August 12th, 2008, 12:27 PM
[email protected]
Registered User Join Date: May 2008

I'd like to help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry that any you are experiencing any issues with the Blazer. Let me explain and or clarify a few things about the groove that has created such an uproar.
The Groove was placed in the base to help adhesion, and it does just that. It allows the vane base to form to the shaft. That being said, the issue that you are perceiving to be caused by the groove, is real, just not caused by the groove. The groove is the only thing you can physically notice about the vane that is different.
The problem stems from what is called, "Lean". If you stand your vanes up on the base and they are leaning hard one way or the other, this will cause one side of the vane to come up as the glue dries.
Rest assured, we hear you and are constantly trying to make the best vane out there. Our efforts are now focused on getting rid of this lean. Most has been eliminated by changes in our curing procedure.
The immediate fix is to stand the vanes up and toss the ones that are leaning hard. You'll be able to see the difference.
I hope that you'll continue to use Blazers, as they are, by far the best. If you have issues, I would highly suggest you contact us and allow us the opportunity to make it right and show you just how committed we are to you, the archer and bowhunter.

This was a post from a previous thread on troubles with fletching the new style Blazers. I spoke with Rick at the IBO Worlds and they apparently have found the problem causing the lean and taken steps to alleviate it. Other than the groove, nothing else has changed on the Blazers.

Here is the thread the post was copied from........

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=680897&highlight=bohning+blazer

· Registered
2,350 Posts
Im fletching the new style Blazers and so far I think they are worse than the old style, Cant seem to get the front corner of the cock vane to lie flat (Neon Yellow Tiger). Also they seem to need more adhesive than the old style. If some of you folks that have success fletching Blazers, getting them to seat on the shaft while still applying offset or helical could you please post photos of your jig setting and where you place the Blazer in the clamp. ( how far from nock and how deep in clamp) Im using a Bitzenburger with both a straight and right helical clamp and am not having the best luck. I am trying AMG Carbond but do not feel this is the problem...

Thanks
BD
Check out the threads below. Holding the arrow tightly in the jig will let you get more pressure when you push the clamp down, to get the vane set all the way down, front and back. I have the best luck cleaning the shaft with 90% alcohol but not wiping the vane.

Bitz is the best but it can be even better. With the upgrade nock receiver by Zenith you can do a flawless job with any arrow/vane combination. See the threads listed below and search for other comments from those who already have the upgrade. If you use a fast set glue it's not a time consuming job doing one vane at a time.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=584491&highlight=bitzenburger

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=7558477&posted=1#post7558477

Joe B.

· Registered
960 Posts
I've tried the new Blazers and they SUCK!. The base is terrible and they are too tall. If you want a good 2" vane go with Duravane Predators. They adhere very well with a helical or a straight clamp. Or even better than that shoot a 4" feather and all your problems will be solved.

· Registered
191 Posts
"...toss the ones with lean..."??? are you kidding?
boy am i glad i just bought 100 of these so i can hopefully fletch a dozen arrows. Never too late to change i guess. can i bag up the ones that lean and have them replaced by ones that don't?:mad:

· Registered
216 Posts
Zap-a-Gap

I use Zap-a-Gap glue on mine. Its a C-A type glue a little thicker than normal Super Glue but its not a gel.

· Registered
5,013 Posts
If you look close you'll find that some lean one way, while others lean the other way. It's a good idea to keep the like leans together, or else you ens up with an arrow that looks as if the spacing is incorrect and uneven.

Even with these problems, I still like the Blazers quite a bit...

· Registered
312 Posts
Check out the threads below. Holding the arrow tightly in the jig will let you get more pressure when you push the clamp down, to get the vane set all the way down, front and back. I have the best luck cleaning the shaft with 90% alcohol but not wiping the vane.

Bitz is the best but it can be even better. With the upgrade nock receiver by Zenith you can do a flawless job with any arrow/vane combination. See the threads listed below and search for other comments from those who already have the upgrade. If you use a fast set glue it's not a time consuming job doing one vane at a time.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=584491&highlight=bitzenburger

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=7558477&posted=1#post7558477

Joe B.
That's the answer all bitz problems:zip:..I had to play around till I got the right offset...

· Registered
6,141 Posts
I've got one that has zipped through three deer already this year and the vanes aren't even wrinkled. I use a Bitz RH clamp and Pine Ridge glue, I take time to set the jig up properly and haven't had a lick of trouble with mine. Maybe I am just lucky?

Mine literally tear the wraps off before the vanes come off.

· Registered
1,884 Posts
I've got one that has zipped through three deer already this year and the vanes aren't even wrinkled. I use a Bitz RH clamp and Pine Ridge glue, I take time to set the jig up properly and haven't had a lick of trouble with mine. Maybe I am just lucky?

Mine literally tear the wraps off before the vanes come off.
No your not lucky. You just did what everyone is supposed to do....take the time to make sure your fletcher is set up properly.....meaning that the vane is CENTERED on the arrow shaft.

I know a bunch of archers shooting Blazers and NOBODY has trouble getting them to stick the way they should.

· Registered
3,402 Posts
Their answer to THEIR problem/mistake was to throw them away? That's a bunch of BS. Maybe people should just throw their bows away when they have problems :rolleyes:

I'm still using Blazers, but I bought batches of hundreds a couple years ago...so I haven't had any problems with them and am pleased with how they work...but I may rethink what I'll fletch with next year as these are running out (stupid me was giving some awy when I shoulda been throwing them out ;) )....I can't believe someone wouldn't stand behind their product and replace defective items...

· Registered
435 Posts
I just said the heck with it and bought a Bohning Blazer jig. It is cheap, works great with CX Xpress bond blue (I think that is what it is called). My vanes are glued very close to the nock, but they are consistent arrow to arrow and they just must be what the factory ordered, so to speak. They have the amount of offset the factory thinks is best. I agree, they fly great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.