Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get into bow hunting for a while now and recently decided to buy my first bow. I want to stay under $500 for the bow and all attachments (not including arrows). I'm looking for opinions on what route you guys think I should take (nicer bow that's a few years old or a less quality bow that is only a year or two old).

Right now I have the opportunity to buy a Mathews Switchback that is a four years old set up with high quality attachments for under $500. Not sure if I'd need to change the string or cam yet though.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
Wytale if you can swing it that is what I would do, like Timmy said.

If not find out what draw you are, and see if that switchback will fit you they are a great bow

·
Registered
621 Posts
Last year I purchased my first new bow in 15 yrs. I opted for the Quest Hammer from G5. Came with a 5 pin Cobra sight, Whisker Biscuit, and five arrow quiver for $499. Adding a d-loop, peep, limb vibration reducers, and half a dozen arrows was still under $600, tax included.

·
Archery Addict
9,167 Posts
Last year I purchased my first new bow in 15 yrs. I opted for the Quest Hammer from G5. Came with a 5 pin Cobra sight, Whisker Biscuit, and five arrow quiver for $499. Adding a d-loop, peep, limb vibration reducers, and half a dozen arrows was still under $600, tax included.
Nothing wrong with that setup. The Quest Hammer (clone to the Ross Cardiac) was and still is a fine hunting bow.

·
Archery Addict
9,167 Posts
Also I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the Quest Hammer comes with all the draw length mods so you can get the one that fits you best.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I hadn't really shot in the 15 years before I bought it. First day shooting I was grouping 6" or better at 40 yards. I'm shooting about 4" at 40" now. That same week I outshot two of my buddies that have been shooting for years and had tricked out Matthews, (don't remember the models). And yes it does come with all the cam mods for different draw lengths.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Have you shot before or is archery completely new to you? Do you have an archery pro shop nearby? If so, what so manufacturers do the carry?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Quest Hammer is a GREAT way to start, nice and smooth easy to shoot, and comes set up for 499. I sell lots of them...

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Look at Diamond Outlaw...Ready to shoot package $499...But you need to shoot anything brfore you buy it. The accessories that come with the Outlaw will get you started and you can upgrade a little at a time as you learn more of what you want.

·
Registered
621 Posts
There are pleny of options that offer quality at a good price. Shooting them at a pro shop is really the only way you're going to know which is best for you. I'm just partial to Quest because they're made in Michigan.

·
Registered
86 Posts
if you know what you need (weight / length / bow / accessories) then going the lightly used route is a great way to get into a bow with some savings

but, if you buy new you'll have the assistance of a pro shop to ensure you get a correctly sized rig

first time out; if you aren't exactliy sure what you want or are fuzzy on the specs then the pro shop is prolly the easier choice
the last bow I bought was from this forums classifieds; great experience and I'm super happy with the results; but then again i was very sure as to what i wanted and i had my specs locked

good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with

·
Registered
631 Posts
Buy used and get a fast bow with a smooth draw cycle.

Spend some money on a good drop-away rest but plan on upgrading your sight later. Same story on a release. You'll want to change that at some.point too when you realize that you have a preference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts