Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... so I hung my stand today... took ALONG time trying to find the right tree... only got 2 acres to hunt at this property, I hung it real close to where the deer travel through but there arent many hoof prints where I hung it, didnt have a choice.. there are however heavy tracks about 35 yards away, where the deer come frequently... should I put out a deer feeder for the next 3 weeks before deer season or what?? What can I do to attract them to come to me?? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
35 yards is actually a good range if your accurate at that distance. If so, is there any chance at making a shooting lane or two?

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be very difficult, but I guess I could try... I was hoping to find something to attract them to a nice opening I have about 10 yards or so away.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can't say I've ever been in the situation where I can't move my stand, and I don't bait deer. I'm actually interested in finding out myself. Any ideas guys, help us out?

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
what I do and seems to work is take apples and throw them around your stand so they have to wander around to find them.....also put some corn out. I dont pile it up I like to throw it around my stand in about a 20-30 yard circle so they have to walk around for it not just come to a pile.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It might be too late to do it now but use some logs and brush or something to direct thier travel just a little closer to your stand.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
My tips

I have a "Spot" That is very similar to yours, I have a stand and a blind on a 5acre all wooded parcel, that is surrounded by woods on three sides that total hundreds of acres, I too had to find a way to convince the deer in this giant lot of woods, that the best place to be is under my stand,

Baiting works well, use what works best in your area, Corn works best for me.
I have found that my parcel of these woods doesnt have nearlly the cover that the rest of the woods has, So I have yet to take anything but does off of this property.

What you have to do is play off of the deers habits and needs.
and survey the land around your spot to see what it lacks.

If the area around you is crops, and food sources... Dont waste your time with baiting, If there is no water within 300yards or so... sink a big trough and fill it with water.

If there isnt much cover, create some, The bucks always go where they feel the most safe, If it is dificult for you to make it through the two acre parcel, because of thicket, and tall bushes and grass... You can bet the bucks will hang there.

Dont try and recreate what they already have, Try and create something they dont.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I also just scatter some corn on the ground. Works well for me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's kinda hard to say without seeing it first hand but a fake rub line along the trail near your stand and a few small mock scrapes might be the ticket to pulling some bucks closer in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts