Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. For the past 17 years I have been hunting elk in Colorado with a 1997 Mathews Feather Max. My Feather Max has been a trusty, faithful, and deadly companion, but, she's showing her age a bit, she doesn't move arrows as fast as she used to, she's developing more noise and vibration in her joints, and she's just not as sexy as she was 17 years ago. A guy deserves a new toy every now and then, right?

On Tuesday, I picked up my 2015 Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT Turbo. Talk about smooth, fast, quiet, and SEXY! I will keep my Feathermax for it's sentimental value, and as a back up bow in case my buddies see that youtube video of the guy driving over his carbon riser to show how strong it is (btw, if you're on this site, you're crazy man!).

Looks like there are multiple ways to calculate your adjusted draw weight based on IBO/ATA rating, brace height, cam style, arrow length....I'm having a hard time determining which spine is best. Some charts lead me to a .340 spine, others suggest a .300 spine. I picked up 6 Gold Tip XT Hunter, Camo, 7595/340 with 100gr tips just to get me started. The bow shop said I need to wait until after 300 shots to paper tune, so not sure how the GTs are leaving the bow.

Here's my set up, I could use some help on hunting arrows. I'd like the finished arrow to come in around 425-450 grains for a good mix of KE and speed. Ideally with a 10 - 13% FOC.

Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT Turbo (350ATA)
70lb draw weight (set at 66 now, going to crank it down to the limb stops, 70 plus a few?)
29" draw, can go down to 28.5" arrow (nock groove to tip of insert)
I'm open to 100gr or 125gr points in order to tune the FOC and finished weight

Thanks all for your help. 15HoytCSTsm.JPG

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I have a Nitrum turbo and my specs are 67 lbs. 29" Draw and a 27" arrow which I was told by the Tuners on here to go with 340/330 spine

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
IMO at those specs you're planning to go to I'd go with a 300 spine arrow. A 125 gr. point would get you close or you could go with a Slim Diameter arrow and pick up a little more weight with a GT Kinetic or Easton FMJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is where I landed.

Gold Tip XT 300 Black 9.2 GPI
30 grains FACT (GT's insert weight system to boost total mass and tune FOC)
100 gr point (so I don't have to buy all new 125gr b-heads)
3 - VanTec Vmax 4" vanes, 1% right off-set, 9.6/gr ea.
Std nock
Acculite insert

Total mass: 447 grains
FOC: 12.6%

Bullet holes in paper and 2-3" group at 20...which I'll continue to work on. :wink:

·
I Should Be Hunting
1,226 Posts
Ive got a Nitrum Turbo and close in measurements @ 29.5in draw. This is what I've gone with..............

Goldtip Pro 300's (.300 spine) @ 29in. long w/ 125gr. points, Acculite insert, 3 Broadhead Blazer vanes and they have the new bushings in the back. Total weight on my scale was 443.6gr. FOC=12.5%

I asked one of the tuners here on AT what he thought I should go with and he recommend the 300 spine shafts. In addition, GT's chart says .300 too.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Here is where I landed.

Gold Tip XT 300 Black 9.2 GPI
30 grains FACT (GT's insert weight system to boost total mass and tune FOC)
100 gr point (so I don't have to buy all new 125gr b-heads)
3 - VanTec Vmax 4" vanes, 1% right off-set, 9.6/gr ea.
Std nock
Acculite insert

Total mass: 447 grains
FOC: 12.6%

Bullet holes in paper and 2-3" group at 20...which I'll continue to work on. :wink:
That should be a " Kill All " Arrow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts