Archery Talk Forum banner

Need help deciding on my new bow

695 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  slamdam
So going for a target bow.. and I'm 50/50 on deciding.. I need a push.

Looking at Alpine Concord Target or the Hoyt Contender...

can't decide.. cant decide... arrgh.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,424 Posts

Have you handled and shot both bows? I have and it does not even seem like there is a choice to me. I like the Hoyt grip better, best limbs vs cheap glass limbs on the Concorde. I expect some feedback in a target bow but the Concorde was unpleasent to shoot IMO. Also the Alpine looks like sombody built it in their garage, machine work on the riser and other metal parts and finish is no where near what you get on the Hoyt.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you handled and shot both bows? I have and it does not even seem like there is a choice to me. I like the Hoyt grip better, best limbs vs cheap glass limbs on the Concorde. I expect some feedback in a target bow but the Concorde was unpleasent to shoot IMO. Also the Alpine looks like sombody built it in their garage, machine work on the riser and other metal parts and finish is no where near what you get on the Hoyt.
I called a few 'local' dealers of alpine but they are the no stock we can order it kind. But from what I've been reading and hearing it sounds like a good target bow, 8" brace height, good ata... As for the hoyt, I like hoyt risers but I dont have a high opinion of hoyt limbs (I'm coming from the oly recurve side of things, this would be my first target compound bow) compared to border, w&w, samick, kaya limbs. maybe on compound hoyt limbs are topdog, since it does not seem you can get alternative limbs like in the recurve world.

I was kinda bummed after calling around this morning and not finding anyone with actual alpine stock, within my driving range. dealers without stock are not dealers imo.

· Registered
1,448 Posts

I am not a fan boy of either company. But I will say I haven't met many people who ever regretted the contender. The hoyt would be my choice everytime.

· Registered
2,768 Posts
The 2011 Maitland Zeus is at the virge of being released. I do believe it would be worth your time to check them out.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd have to cross 3 states to get to Maitlands nearest dealer. Nothing on the website on how one goes about actually buying a bow from them. Also the Zeus has 80% letoff, thats more than I am looking for in a target bow, but maybe can be adjusted. Its a sweet looking bow to be sure, but info is lacking.

· Registered
3,716 Posts
Hoyt

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like hoyt is taking the votes. I thought there would be more love for small company bows but looks overwhelmingly like hoyt... I'm still procrastinating :) lol... damn ka30270 for pointing out maitland 2011 Zeus

· Registered
1,424 Posts
I called a few 'local' dealers of alpine but they are the no stock we can order it kind. But from what I've been reading and hearing it sounds like a good target bow, 8" brace height, good ata... As for the hoyt, I like hoyt risers but I dont have a high opinion of hoyt limbs (I'm coming from the oly recurve side of things, this would be my first target compound bow) compared to border, w&w, samick, kaya limbs. maybe on compound hoyt limbs are topdog, since it does not seem you can get alternative limbs like in the recurve world.

I was kinda bummed after calling around this morning and not finding anyone with actual alpine stock, within my driving range. dealers without stock are not dealers imo.
Yep, I have read of some issues with Hoyt recurve limbs. There are none better on the compound side.

· Registered
1,459 Posts
i tried the Hoyt contender last year and went back to my apex. I shot and switched to the Alpine Concorde. It pulls WAY eaiser than the Hoyt. Has a wall like a spiral cam but pulls easy like a single cam. You can creep or pull hard into the wall and it will shoot the same EVERY time. With the Hoyts you cant creep, they dont have the easy draw cycle like the Alpines did. My 73 pound Apex pulled way eaiser than the 70 lb contender I had. I had the 3000 limbs on. The alpine had no vibration and shoots awsome. I wasnt a huge fan of how it looks at first but fell in love with it. Hoyt you are paying for the name. Why spend $1200.00 on a bow when you can get one at half the cost that will in my oponion be eaiser to shoot and tune...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.