Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first....I need to go and start testing a few bows before jumping to conclusions...I know. I'd still like to get some opinions on a few bows to help narrow my choices. These are the bows I'm currently considering:

Bowtech Allegiance
Bowtech Patriot VFT
Bowtech Old Glory
AR 34 Spiral & 1/2
Darton Tempest Extreme
Browning Illusion
PSE Vengence
McPherson Edge

The bow will replace my current hunting set-up and serve double duty for hunting and 3D shooting. I'm looking for a fast but forgiving bow.

What are the opinions on the bows I've listed and are there others that should replce the bows I've placed on "my" list?

Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm going to be evaluating an Old Glory sometime next week then a Switchback and an Allegiance. I will make my final decision thereafter but for now I am leaning toward the Old Glory because of its longer ATA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Legacy Is way to go

Do yourself a favor and shoot the 04 legacy if you havnt already .you will not find more bow for the money on the market right now.legacy selling all over the place loaded for 500 bucks.will outshoot everything in that price range guarenteed,including that victory sc. :eek:
vengeance is ok but a little noisy and unrefined,Browning Illlusion is pretty nice but has some recoil issues
switchback is like butta it is so smooth
suprisingly the bowtech tomcat package is super sweet and pretty smooth also

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
:mg: What?! No Hoyt?! :mg:

Oh well, with the choices given....I'd go BoTech Patriot and then trade up to the Hoyt VTEC.

:eek: Did I say, "What?! No Hoyt?!" :D

All jokes aside....close your eyes, have bows handed to you and take the one that feels the best in your hand and make. Go into range, make sure of target....close eyes and shoot until you find "your" best feeling shooter.

Good Luck,
Greg

·
Registered
65 Posts
which bow, thats easy

They are all great bows, Pick the one that feels the most comfortable and shootable to you.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Oh yeah, Patriot all the way!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I can't believe that I replaced my beloved AR37 with a Patriot just this week! Man the Patriot is one clean hunting rig if I ever saw one :wink:

As mentioned above try as many as you can, preferably side by side if possible with the same setup i.e. draw weight, draw length, accessories, etc.

Best of luck, shopping for a new bow is blast!

Cheers,

·
Registered
170 Posts
Kelsnor??

Curious, you own an Allegiance yet recommend the Patriot?

Care to elaborate?

I also own a 04 Pat and thought the allegiance was supposed to be the bow to have, is it not?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Since you are using it for both hunting and 3D I would go with the Old Glory. The longer A2A will help you in 3D land plus it doesn't hurt when it comes to hunting. It doesn't have the blazing speed of the Allegience but it shoots flat out to 25 yds.

·
32,707 Posts
I can't tell you what to do but I went with the Old Glory. Longer ATA was the reason for me.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding No Hoyt on my list....

A couple years ago when I was talked into getting back into archery, a friend gave me a few bow accessories to help minimize the sticker shock of putting together a rig. He gave me one of his "extra" Hoyt sights but was missing a couple minor pieces. The idiot I am, I immediately called Hoyt to request part number and a source for these parts. The service person on the other end of the line ended Hoyt's chances for a very long time (possibly forever) my business. Rude, arrogant, snobby, ill-temptered, pissy, unfriendly, unhelpful, and @##*&!$....are a few terms that could be used to describe him. This was a minor request......not willing to deal with this kind of customer service if I had a real problem. With all the other excellent bows and manufacturers out there, I can afford to personally boycott Hoyt for awhile. I honestly hope everyone else has had better experiences with Hoyt's customer service, as I am not trying to flame the company...they make excellent bows. I've been on a personal "customer service" kick for awhile and have found myself avoiding places that don't treat me like a valued customer. Eventually, I'll probably own a Hoyt, but for now, I will give my hard earned cash to companies that care about me as their customer.

OK....I'm off the soap box.

I may have a lined up a great deal on the Darton Tempest Extreme...so, I'll need to get busy on trying out my options and verifying it hangs with the best.

Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
43 Posts
hoyt

i recently bought a hoyt turbotec and am shooting 325 fps with no vibration or noise at all. The rig has an s-coil stabilizer, trophy ridge sights, shooting off the string, tube peep, and i will put on some speed spiders from tru ball to hopefully gain more speed and keep it just as quite and noise free. I'm not trying to say I am a great shot, but the first day i had the bow i shot 6 arrows into the bullseye and 30 yards and the bulls eye on the target is the size of a quarter. I have shot all Mathews, Ross, AR, and many Bowtechs and never shot one so accurately! Strongly recomend shooting a turbotec!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Okay for my 2 cents, i would go with the Bowtech Allegiance, why you ask. Okay if you look at my profile i have a hoyt, PSE, and a Bowtech. Out of the three my bowtech is the best. I shot my hoyt for years and once i shot the bowtech i was hooked. Bowtech shoots like a dream, little to no hand shock, very quiet even with out dampeners. My Allegiance is faster then any of my other bows and even faster then a switchback with the same arrow setup, and is a little cheaper then the switchback.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
00buck said:
Curious, you own an Allegiance yet recommend the Patriot?

Care to elaborate?

I also own a 04 Pat and thought the allegiance was supposed to be the bow to have, is it not?

Sure! If I had to have one all around bow for 05' it would be the Patriot. She is quiet, fast, accurate, and a dream to draw and hold, as it does not creep at all! I absolutely love my Allegiance, what a smoker. I really do dig all of my Bowtechs, but if I had to choose just one, it would be my Patriot. I will die many years from now owning that bow. My guess would be that I'll die owning them all. Every year I buy a few non Bowtech bows, and every year I sell those. Not so with my Techs!!! Hows that for an elaboration! :teeth: :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have tried A lot of bows this year and bought the allegiance. Out of all the bow that I have tried this bow is the smoothest, fastest, quietest, and most forgiving bow that I have ever shot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love my AR-34 and PSE customer service is awesome. Just give them a call and see what I mean.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts