Archery Talk Forum banner

Need help finding a good hunting stabilizer!

1072 Views 20 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Derriick
So I bought a 2014 Mission Riot and love it. The only problem is that my groups arent consistent. One group will be on point and the next not so much. Im using the stabilizer that came with the Mission bow hunter package which is a 3" Axion. Doesn't seem to be doing much. Anybody recommend a quality stabilizer that will help improve my groups to be more consistent? I will be hunting from a blind with it this season.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,164 Posts
B-Stinger, Dead Center and Doinker are 3 I would look at, any of those in the 10-12" length would work good

· Registered
424 Posts
Bernie's control freak scorpion or lite hawk is my suggestion

· Registered
8,836 Posts
a stabilizer isn't going to improve your groups the amount you think they will. good groups come from a good shots, not stabilizers. stabilizers help good shots be better shots and tighten up that last little bit of group spread.

example....
a guy that shoots 300/50-60 x rounds can take his stab off and still easily shoot a 300 with just fewer X's. that stabilizer just tightens his group to pull in a few more x's , it doesn't magically give him the ability to shoot that 300 round. that comes from his good shooting, not the stabilizer. even more-so, with a hunting stab, because their short length doesn't do as much damping of movement as a long target stab.
if you groups aren't reasonably tight to begin with, a stabilizer won't fix the problem.
again, this is a perfect example of the "equipment oriented" state of mind, people on this forum seem to be in.
way too much emphasis on equipment making the "good shooter", instead of the "good shooter" making the "good shot".

· Registered
8,836 Posts
the thing you don't understand is that a short stab like a hunting stab is not in the realm of damping float by utilizing the leverage a stabilizer has. hunting stabs simply work by adding weight to the bow, so a light stabilizer is an inefficient stabilizer. with this in mind, remember, it is the leverage a long stab has that dampens movement, not the weight. a hunting stab doesn't have that leverage , so the weight must go up, in order to do the same work. the equation is for it's efficiency is stab length X weight squared. so if you work that back a 12 inch stab has to be in the neighborhood of 24 ounces to do the same work as a 30 inch stab with 4 oz. on the front. 24 oz.= I-1/2 pounds! there's no way your going to put 1-1/2 lbs. on your bow right?.....so a short hunting stab will never be as effective at damping float as a target stab.....it's purpose is simply to add mass to the bow and let that mass do the damping.

· "Keep Hammering"
Mathews V3, 77Lbs 85% LO, T-rex DL
8,407 Posts
a stabilizer isn't going to improve your groups the amount you think they will. good groups come from a good shots, not stabilizers. stabilizers help good shots be better shots and tighten up that last little bit of group spread.

example....
a guy that shoots 300/50-60 x rounds can take his stab off and still easily shoot a 300 with just fewer X's. that stabilizer just tightens his group to pull in a few more x's , it doesn't magically give him the ability to shoot that 300 round. that comes from his good shooting, not the stabilizer. even more-so, with a hunting stab, because their short length doesn't do as much damping of movement as a long target stab.
if you groups aren't reasonably tight to begin with, a stabilizer won't fix the problem.
again, this is a perfect example of the "equipment oriented" state of mind, people on this forum seem to be in.
way too much emphasis on equipment making the "good shooter", instead of the "good shooter" making the "good shot".
This isnt entirely true at short distances it wont be much but at 60 yards a 12 inch stabilizer will make a dramatic difference.

· Registered
274 Posts
the thing you don't understand is that a short stab like a hunting stab is not in the realm of damping float by utilizing the leverage a stabilizer has. hunting stabs simply work by adding weight to the bow, so a light stabilizer is an inefficient stabilizer. with this in mind, remember, it is the leverage a long stab has that dampens movement, not the weight. a hunting stab doesn't have that leverage , so the weight must go up, in order to do the same work. the equation is for it's efficiency is stab length X weight squared. so if you work that back a 12 inch stab has to be in the neighborhood of 24 ounces to do the same work as a 30 inch stab with 4 oz. on the front. 24 oz.= I-1/2 pounds! there's no way your going to put 1-1/2 lbs. on your bow right?.....so a short hunting stab will never be as effective at damping float as a target stab.....it's purpose is simply to add mass to the bow and let that mass do the damping.
Please read this if you dont think a 12" stab makes a big difference.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/2013/07/does-short-stabilizer-really-add-stability

· Registered
8,836 Posts
c'mon,.... Field and Stream ?,.....that rag exists so that manufacturers can advertise their stuff. I have yet to see a magazine that is supported by the interest's producers, say anything but good about the products tested. indifferent at worst, but that's about as far as it will go.
I never said they don't make a difference, I said that the difference made is not as great as one might expect, and the theory of stabilizer function is mis-understood when the stabilizers are short.
people on that mag's staff are paid to say nothing at all, if they can't say something nice.
they might compare 3 or 4 different items and tell you which one works the best, but they won't say the last place item doesn't work worth a hoot.

· Registered
1,446 Posts

example....
Exactly. That was my experience. It was cool to see the difference from not stab to a front/back bar and weights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.