Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just bought a used AR-34 Bow. I'm getting creaking noises when I draw. I took it to a local shop and they said the bearing in the Idler wheel is going out. I called PSE to see if they have any in stock. They don't. Archery Research is no longer in manufacturing status. I called around to see if anyone else would keep in stock. If anyone can please point me in the right direction or would have this as a spare part, please let me know. I would appreciate it greatly. The bow shoots great and I really like this bow. I believe the Idler wheel is 4''.

Thank you very much

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,567 Posts
You might give PSE a call directly…but, an alternative if you can't find the AR idler would be to locate one the same size from another manufacturer. Example: Mathews idlers on the Drenalin were 4".

·
Registered
51,684 Posts
Good luck finding one. As you found out PSE stopped making them and parts for them a number of years ago. I doubt your going to find a substitute wheel. Idler wheels rarely ever need replacing and I don't know of any shop that would have ever stocked them.
That is the big problem buying old bows that have been out of production for years.
There is a very good chance your noise is not a bearing but a rocker that needs some cleaning and grease.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Couldn't you just replace the bearing?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Just buy s new bearing, even a ceramic bearing would only cost ya about 8 dollars

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it's definetly a problem with the Idler Wheel bearing. I looked at Mathews Conquest idler wheels. They have a similar wheel to the AR. As some mentioned though, I'm thinking about replacing just the bearing. This is the first bow I bought so lesson definitely learned.
Thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I've never done this, but I'm throwing this out there:

If you get a new bearing, and have trouble getting the bad one out, take it (the idler well and bearing) to a roller skating rink. They should have a bearing press that they use on skate wheels. It would probably work if you're careful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts