Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I bought a camo coat & bibs made out of "Shakari Cloth" & they were AWESOME! They were not technically windproof or waterproof, but the weave was so tight that water would bead up & roll off. While not windproof I never felt wind getting through unless it was pretty windy & then I would hardly feel any getting through. Most importantly this stuff was very QUIET! I'm talking like an old T-shirt. The price was even reasonable too. Over the years the weave has loosened & the wind goes through pretty easy so I get cold & have avoided hunting much in the second half of the season (I'm in Michigan).

Does anybody know of anything similar? It seems like everything has some type of "technology" for wind & water proofing these days that makes it both noisy & expensive. It seems like they used to make better clothing for much less money. I shoot all my deer with a bow at no more than 15 yards & usually under 10 yards. So I need something very quiet. There used to be a fabric called "Saddle Cloth" that was pretty quiet too (although I never used it) that had the same characteristics, but they quit making these fabrics years ago.

I know this is a long shot, but I figure if anyone knows where I can find clothing like this it's you guys.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Cabelas Berber Fleece or Cabelas Wooltimate, both with windshear should fit the bill. Love my Berber Fleece bibs and vest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have both the Rivers West and Cabela's Berber fleece. Both are quiet and warm. The Rivers West is Ambush Jacket and Trail Pants with Sherpa fleece and is a little warmer than the Cabela's. Cabela's is a little quieter. I like them both.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Mad Dog Silent Shadow by Stearn's and doesn't break the bank. Best wind resistent gear I ever owned and I have had this for several years and still as good as day I bought it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I tried on every thing I could get my hands on within a 40 mile drive of my house. Today I purchased Nomad elevated whitetail scrape bibs and have the jacket coming. They were more comfortable than the Sitka fanatic series bib and jacket and the Cabelas Wooltimate to me. With that said there are slot of great brands out there. I am replacing my rivers west coat and pants. The zippers gave out on both of them. They lasted over 15 years. RW wanted $60 apiece to replace zipper.

·
Bow Bender
6,253 Posts
I bought Cabelas Berber fleece for my Kansas hunt this year and really loved it. Wind howled, and I mean howled and I never once felt the wind come through the clothing. It was very quiet, I had does at 15-20 FEET and I would move and they never reacted to my movement, and when I've hunted Kansas, you had better have completely silent clothing or they will spook. I added a medium weight fleece mid layer and merino wool base layer and stayed toasty the whole time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are some promising recommendations on here & I appreciate every one of you trying to help me out! I will check into them all. I'm a little leary of anything that say's "wind shear" or "wind stop" etc because a few years ago when I was looking around at those types of internal coatings they made noise, but I will check into them again anyway.

Mad Dog Silent Shadow by Stearn's and doesn't break the bank. Best wind resistent gear I ever owned and I have had this for several years and still as good as day I bought it.
garys333,
Your post especially caught my attention in part because you said it "doesn't break the bank". So I checked into the Mad Dog right away & I didn't find it. Maybe it's not made anymore? Do you know who carries it?

I'm not one of those guys that drives a $50k truck, has a big beautiful house, gets a new bow every year, etc. I have a $1,500 truck, a small house on a slab & a 2009 Martin Cheetah bow, have some health problems & I just scrape by. So money may be a factor. When I looked around last time the only cloths I found that would for sure do what I wanted were $800-$1,200!

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can try picking up alot of that more expensive gear on the cheap in the classifieds from people that get the new gucci every year. Most of it has probably only been hunted with a couple times

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I just picked up the Berber pants, jacket, beanie, gloves and neck gator tax and all for 200 on cabelas. The pants and jacket are on sale for 66 bucks each right now

·
wolfey
4,062 Posts
Gray wolf woolens has some bibs and jackets in their returned items section on their website. It's the most quiet and durable windproof clothing I've used.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
You will not find a better outer material than Wolfskin. Gray Wolf woolens in Wisconsin is your answer. It is expensive but it is also custom made to your specs and size. It will last you a lifetime if you can stay the same size. lol

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Rivers West water proof, wind proof, & has stretch to it also so not always pulling on you. Mine are about 13 years old & no problems. But if I had a zipper problem would take them to a local seamstress to have them replaced.
How does the wolfskins work out with burrs? RW you can brush them off.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Maddogproducts.com - yes it is still made, but is now called mad dog silent pursuit clothing. Glad I could help

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Years ago I bought a camo coat & bibs made out of "Shakari Cloth" & they were AWESOME! They were not technically windproof or waterproof, but the weave was so tight that water would bead up & roll off. While not windproof I never felt wind getting through unless it was pretty windy & then I would hardly feel any getting through. Most importantly this stuff was very QUIET! I'm talking like an old T-shirt. The price was even reasonable too. Over the years the weave has loosened & the wind goes through pretty easy so I get cold & have avoided hunting much in the second half of the season (I'm in Michigan).

Does anybody know of anything similar? It seems like everything has some type of "technology" for wind & water proofing these days that makes it both noisy & expensive. It seems like they used to make better clothing for much less money. I shoot all my deer with a bow at no more than 15 yards & usually under 10 yards. So I need something very quiet. There used to be a fabric called "Saddle Cloth" that was pretty quiet too (although I never used it) that had the same characteristics, but they quit making these fabrics years ago.

I know this is a long shot, but I figure if anyone knows where I can find clothing like this it's you guys.
You need to take a hard look at Drakes "non-typical hydrohush" jacket and bibs, i'm in the same spot your in right now, I have Rivers West and its getting tired when it rains and the temp gets in the 20's, I have really been reading the reviews on Sitka fanatic whitetail, Cabelas cold weather whitetail and the Berber fleece series plus the Drake non-typical hydro and when comparing all 4 for warmth, windproof and waterproof the Drake seems to have the best reviews with the least complaints of leaking when wet, I love being out there when a front is coming through and that means a lot of times a rain or downpour turning into sleet and snow, I DO NOT own the Drake clothing but im thinking i'm about too, the Sitka camo pattern looks like it would stick out like a sore monkey in a Kentucky hardwoods and its reviews in wet weather have not faired so well neither has the cabelas cold weather whitetail it seems to be a coin toss in the wet, it seems to keep some dry while others complain about leaking badly.

There's no doubt all the above will keep you warm on cold windy days but throw in soaking wet and that's when the complaints start piling up, i'm still in the air but leaning towards the Drake nontypical hydrohush….my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I forgot to mention i'm talking about tree stand hunting, if your on the ground stalking i'm not sure how well it would work, I tried the Drake on for sizing and its whisper quiet.

·
wolfey
4,062 Posts
Rivers West water proof, wind proof, & has stretch to it also so not always pulling on you. Mine are about 13 years old & no problems. But if I had a zipper problem would take them to a local seamstress to have them replaced.
How does the wolfskins work out with burrs? RW you can brush them off.
Most things dont even stick to wolfskin. I have rivers west ambush bibs(new style) and jacket(old style). The new stuff isn't as windproof and they're fleece lined so it's not just a shell you can layer over mid layers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maddogproducts.com - yes it is still made, but is now called mad dog silent pursuit clothing. Glad I could help
Thanks!

You will not find a better outer material than Wolfskin. Gray Wolf woolens in Wisconsin is your answer. It is expensive but it is also custom made to your specs and size. It will last you a lifetime if you can stay the same size. lol
I looked at these a few years ago & was very interested..... right up to the moment I realized it would cost me $800-$1,200! I about fainted! lol

These are excellent top of the line camo's but well out of my price range. Plus I definitely need to loose some weight to get rid of my bowling pin shape ;-) So wouldn't want to have to buy them twice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts