Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and I am kind of new to archery. Eighteen years ago I quit shooting archery. I just got burned out. Now I have 2 little girls (15 & 9) that would like to try archery. We are looking to make it a family activity. One of my problems is getting a bow for me. I think I want a PSE Mach 12. I used to shoot PSE's for several years in indoor and field archery tournaments. Now when I talk to some of these archery shops, I have a hard time. I think most of them want to sell me what they have on the shelf, and not necessarily what is best for me. Some dealers say that PSE's are junk. Some say because I am a fingers shooter that I will not be able to shoot that small of a bow. I believe that I can shoot a 38 1/2" axle to axle bow with minimum finger pinch on the string. Another problem is some of these PSE dealers I call vary a lot in their pricing. I think that this is because they want to sell me what is on the shelf. I think $1300 just for the Mach 12 bow itself is too much. I do not have a problem shooting a different brand. Mathew was not around when I shot before, so I am just not familiar with them. I did like the Hoyts and Martins. They were good bows back when I shot before. The next dilemma is a good bow for my 9 year old daughter. I looked at the Genesis pro, but I do not like the fact it does not have any let off at full draw. 15lbs to her is like 70lbs to me. I can not hold that for very long at full draw. Would some one please give me some help on trying to get back into this sport!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
$1,300 is high for most any bow!

One bows to look at for finger shooting is the Reflex Caribou. It's about 45" and a lot cheaper than $1,300.

For the little ones check out the Alpine and Browning Micor bows. They still may be too much for the younger one.

Don't be afraid to try Mathews and Bowtech. They are relatively new compared to PSE, but they both make quality bows as does martin, hoyt and others.

Welcome back,
Allen

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was funny I guess. I called 2 PSE stores here in Texas and one was $700 and the other was $1300. This is what I mean buy they want to sell me what is on the shelf.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
If you're dead-set on shooting fingers but are concerned about pinch, you might consider shooting a 2 finger tab. That's basically your basic 3 finger tab with the index finger cut off. Less finger pinch and arguably a better release of the string (less contact). You can draw with three and let off with the index finger once drawn.

I shot this way as a teenager...won indoor nationals in '90 doing it. I'd suggest a calfskin tab with hair on it.

I took a 12 year break from the sport and have come back shooting a release. Can't take my own advice.

AW

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did shoot with only two fingers and I too used calf skin. But I had forgot abut cutting off the bottom of the tab. Thanks it will take awhile for everything to come back and catch up with this new stuff. Thanks alot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts