Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any secrets on getting inserts out of carbon arrows?

I just had an insert that didn't seat all the way and the glue has already set up:confused:

·
strayarrow
2,407 Posts
inserts

use a small torch lighter and heat the point without applying any direct heat to the shaft. Keep trying it until it comes out. You don't want to overheat it, or pull to hard as sometimes some of the carbon comes with the insert.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
that little heat trick won't work if they were glued in with expoy , thats why i like hot melt you can tke your inserts out!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
another trick

Another method that I use it to remove the nock from the arrow and insert a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the shaft. Hold the arrow with the insert "up" with your palm covering the open end of the shaft with the drill bit. By flipping the insert end of the arrow towards the floor rapidly, you will jackhammer the insert out of the arrow. This works great but make sure you do it in a safe location as the insert and the drill bit will leave the shaft in a hurry after it gives way.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Yep

I agree Hot melt is the only way to go.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
jwoods,

I would not recomend doing that. It will bust up the carbon layers at the end of your shaft. You might not seeit, but it can cause stress factures and the shaft will split at the end. Very dangerous.

Another way is to put the carbon shaft into boiling water. The temp is hot enough to melt the glue, but not enough to harm the carbon. Only works with inserts that are hotmelt glued in.

LeEarl

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Anyway to get epoxy inserts out?

Not that I need to...but I use epoxy and if I did ever need to...would be nice to know how.

Hate to throw an A/C/C away! :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use a candle to heat the point up slow,The heat from a candle is not as intense as torch but keep turning the shaft while you heat the point try to keep the heat the same all the way around the point and shaft,Keep the shaft and point out of the flame just above the flame about 1/2 inch or so and you will get those points out of carbon arrows that have been epoxied in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts