Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first set of arrows for my first LB.

The bow is pulling 40-42# at my DL (27-28") verified by scale.

I want to shoot 175gr. points

I want the Easton Legacy (aluminum) shafts fletched with 5" feathers.

I'm wondering if the 2016's (0.531) spine cut to 29" would be enough to handle the 175gr. tip.

My instinct is telling me the 2018's (0.464) would be too stiff.

Any opinions would be appreciated especially from anyone that is shooting a similar setup.

P.S. Interested in finding the best flight, not worried about the difference in arrow weights.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts

29" 1916.

However, 40-42# and 27 - 28" is a pretty good spread.
Not knowing the type of long bow, also makes it tricky.

Viper1 out.

·
8,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

29" 1916.

However, 40-42# and 27 - 28" is a pretty good spread.
Not knowing the type of long bow, also makes it tricky.

Viper1 out.
Thanks for the response, I thought 1916 would work for 125gr. points, but I assumed 175gr. would weaken the dynamic spine too much. You don't think so then?

The spread happens because my form isn't worth a turd, I'm still working on a consistent anchor and as a result my DL fluctuates +- 1". :embara:

I know the center cut of the bow can affect the spine one chooses, I don't know if mine is cut past center, or not the bow is a one piece Siren so it's D/R. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I'm wondering why you need 175 grains. Actually and why 29". Those are both things discovered during the tuning process. Without know how close to center your bow is cut, no one can answer your question. My suggestion is go to Stu's calculator and answer all the question as close as you can.

Don't know how "The bow is pulling 40-42# at my DL (27-28")" can be verified by a scale. You'll have to know if it's 27 OR 28.

Bowmania

·
8,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering why you need 175 grains. Actually and why 29". Those are both things discovered during the tuning process. Without know how close to center your bow is cut, no one can answer your question. My suggestion is go to Stu's calculator and answer all the question as close as you can.

Don't know how "The bow is pulling 40-42# at my DL (27-28")" can be verified by a scale. You'll have to know if it's 27 OR 28.

Bowmania
I would like to shoot a 175gr. point. The arrow doesn't have to be 29" it can be longer. 29" is the shortest I would like to go.

The scale verified that at 27" the DW was ~ 40# and at 28" the DW was ~42#, hope that helps you understand. Thanks for the reply, I'll check out Stu's calc.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
40 -

I don't quite understand the need for a 175 gr head either, but a 1916 with a 125 gr head would "spine" to the low 50# range, so with the 175, you might be close.

Degree of center shot and limb speed / efficiency factor in as well, and I don't know that bow, so the 1916 is a more generic recommendation.
Since your form hasn't solidified yet, it's about the best we can do. Don't think you'll be disappointed, though.

Viper1 out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts