Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a daughter who loves to hunt and fish. In Michigan I can not let her hunt until she is ten. What states would allow me to take her hunting? I see Pensylvania may be an option. What other states may be an option? Does anyone have private land or know an outfitter where I could take her? I have no problem with it being a doe only hunt if that is what is needed. Possible help someone out with a price of lease for a weekend hunt?

My daughter has seen a lot of dead deer, helped me track a lot of deer,and she LOVES venison. I have taken her many times, but we have not got a deer togother yet. I would like to video her hunt.
Any ideas are appreciated.

By the way, to the guy who took his daughter hunting and she killed the six point, You are a good man. I would like to buy you a cold one!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I believe if she can pass a hunters saftey course she could hunt Ohio. My niece shot a nice buck in Pa. last year with a crossbow at 10. Goodluck hope she gets out soon.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, she will be able to pass hunters safety class soon. Does she need hunters safety class in all states?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not in MO. She does have to be accompanied by a hunter-ed certified adult.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
i don't know

but i think in missouri, as long as she is with a lic. adult with a tag. least i believe without looking it up. hunter safety class if they are hunting on their own i think is how they do it now. shoot they change thier laws and reg's. so often can't never tell. i would have to look it up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Pa Mentor Program

Mentored Youth Hunt Permit: ($2.70) Issued to resident and nonresident youth under the age of 12. This permit includes two tags: one for an antlered deer and one for a spring turkey. In addition to the applicant’s signature, the applicant’s parent or guardian must sign the permit to validate it and the information provided before the mentored youth hunter goes afield. The cost to replace a lost Mentored Youth Hunt Permit is $2.70. See current Digest and the Mentored Youth Hunting Program FAQs for additional details.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
she can hunt in ohio with an apprentice tag for 3 years no matter what the age and no hunter safety course required they are 10 bucks

·
Live Free or Die!
8,575 Posts
How dare you want to take your kid hunting!! Letting kids kill animals, you are a terrible parent!

Seriously though, I don't think Illinois has an age limit. I DON'T THINK. We might. As long as someone can pass the safety course, I think they are good. If I'm wrong, someone let me know. Good luck to you and yours!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mentored Youth Hunt Permit: ($2.70) Issued to resident and nonresident youth under the age of 12. This permit includes two tags: one for an antlered deer and one for a spring turkey. In addition to the applicant’s signature, the applicant’s parent or guardian must sign the permit to validate it and the information provided before the mentored youth hunter goes afield. The cost to replace a lost Mentored Youth Hunt Permit is $2.70. See current Digest and the Mentored Youth Hunting Program FAQs for additional details.
This. :)

More detailed information on the subject for PA:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=168353

Good luck to you and your daughter. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I believe if she can pass a hunters saftey course she could hunt Ohio. My niece shot a nice buck in Pa. last year with a crossbow at 10. Goodluck hope she gets out soon.
She can get an "apprentice license" in Ohio, without having had her hunter safety course. Any individual of any age can get three apprentice licenses in a lifetime. It's a program developed to get more people into hunting.

I just picked one up for my son and he's 9.

Check it out here http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/dow/regulations/apprentice.aspx

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
In IL you can get an apprentice license also, provided either you have hunters safety or your old enough to not need it.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
How dare you want to take your kid hunting!! Letting kids kill animals, you are a terrible parent!

Seriously though, I don't think Illinois has an age limit. I DON'T THINK. We might. As long as someone can pass the safety course, I think they are good. If I'm wrong, someone let me know. Good luck to you and yours!
My 7 year old daughter easily passed the coarse this past year in IL. Her 8 yr old cousin also passed but had difficulty.

She will still only hunt with me for a few years....but it's comforting for me, to know she's smart enough/mature enough to handle things on her own if need be. Ironically she missed less on the test at 7 yrs old than her dad did when he was 11.:embara:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, we will be heading to Ohio or MO next year. man I am pumped. My Dad is disabled and shoots a ten-point cross bow, my daughter will be useing this. By the way she is a BOWHUNTER, she shoots he Fuse at about 20# pretty good to.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
but i think in missouri, as long as she is with a lic. adult with a tag. least i believe without looking it up. hunter safety class if they are hunting on their own i think is how they do it now. shoot they change thier laws and reg's. so often can't never tell. i would have to look it up.
A youth under 16 can firearms hunt with a youth permit if accompianied by an licensed adult. Youths are not allowed to take the hunter ed class until 12 years old and after they pass that they can then hunt on their own with a normal resident firearm tag if that is desired. There are no age restrictions for archery hunting, but she would not be able to use a crossbow during the archery season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts