Archery Talk Forum banner

Need Help identifying bow/more info then i already know

584 10
i need more info on this bow i do have some but more would make me happy thanks too all in advance for any help.
here is what i know from some hard searching
thinking its a browning challenge bow one of only 30 made they made #30 to #60 this bow is #31 so its the second one ever made it was made between 1967-1975 it was a top of the line bow at that time

anything else you can add or confirm would be nice
also would like to know what it might be worth?
Font Logo Vehicle Car Trademark
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,986 Posts
If you are thinking this is your retirement fund-don’t quit your job. Just another older but beautiful recurve that is a pretty conversation piece hanging on the wall. Unfortunately worth next to nothing on the market.

· Registered
30,525 Posts
It is a vintage late 60's early 70's target model recurve bow made by Browning. The length is 66", indicating that it was a target bow as most hunting recurves ran 56-62".....plus the low poundage 31#. That number doesn't mean it was the 31st made of that series, but rather the draw weight of the bow as measured "AMO" at 28". AMO is Archery Manufacturers Organization....a group of bow makers standardizing things in that era. It is simply an old target recurve....which should NOT be stood upright on the bottom limb, as that promotes limb twist. If you are planning to keep it, put a peg in the wall and hang it by the string (which is on backwards at present) or two pegs and hang it horizontally by the limbs.

· Registered
2,596 Posts
I have seen several bows shot with the string on backwards like the bow in the picture. Stopped a guy at the range last year and showed him the proper way to string his bow. He said that he wondered why it had no power. I gave all my recurve bows away to kids when the compounds started being popular. Also if you do want to use that bow, get a stringer and learn how to string and store the bow as the limbs will take a bend if stored upright and will twist if strung improperly. I have seen bows like yours in garage sales for around $30 but you might find a collector willing to pay around $100.

· Registered
21,464 Posts
They made hundreds of them. The 30# to 60# is that the draw weights range between 30 and 60lbs of draw.

Where did you get that string? Did you know that it's not strung properly in the picture? What material is that string made from? If it's a fast flight material other modern material, you shouldn't use it. You also shouldn't use it "strung" like that.

· Registered
3,197 Posts
i would guess # 30
66" overall length
Serial number is 8Z253
would put string on other side immediately, nice wall hanger for sure

· Shootin and Cussin
27,243 Posts
OP, there are a couple of archery shops in Vegas. You really should take it to them and have them check for limb straightness, delamination, micks, etc.

With luck you may, big MAY, get $100 out of it.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome thank you all for your reply i didnt know anything about it no and no i dont plan on retirement with it was just curious lol also didnt know about the string i will fix that right now and didnt know not to sit it upright i will also fix that as well thank you all so much you were all vary helpful have a wonderful rest of your day!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.