Archery Talk Forum banner

Need help on these mechanical broadheads.

1605 Views 25 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  1canvas
Can anyone identify these 100 grain mechanical broadheads, practice points and help
Wood Air gun Gun accessory Metal Gun barrel

explain how to open them to test their functioning and their sharpness. Looks they have a small Allen head through the middle of them and another Allen head on their cutting point. Thanks in advance and their weight is 100 grain.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Crossbow Nut
893 Posts
Look like a rage practice head to me
Yah, those are Rage practice points. They have no function but to simulate Rage flight characteristics to test yer arrow flight. They have no other function, they are a "dummy" head; not sharp, not to be used for hunting.

Reactions: IClark and Yota4me

· Registered
1,119 Posts
So which particular model of Rage mechanical broadhead would I be needing since I have so many practice heads?
Probably get the same result with the practice heads. If you want to use a mechanical use a grim reaper or NAP and find your deer. Rage are for Walmart hunters, I'm sorry but they are true junk.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably get the same result with the practice heads. If you want to use a mechanical use a grim reaper or NAP and find your deer. Rage are for Walmart hunters, I'm sorry but they are true junk.
Thanks and I appreciate your suggestion. I’m currently using Muzzy Trocar HBX 100 grain broadheads but found the Rage practice heads that have been identified in my bow cabine. Must have bought them years ago.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Thanks and I appreciate your suggestion. I’m currently using Muzzy Trocar HBX 100 grain broadheads but found the Rage practice heads that have been identified in my bow cabine. Must have bought them years ago.
I apologize for my pettiness, it was not appropriate but there are so many rage issues in here every year. A year or two back a dog tracker said his rage requests for tracks were like 4 to 1 or some crazy #. Part of that is probably because they are popular, but in my opinion bowhunting is hard enough without worrying about equipment failures when they have a track record like that. Some guys swear by them, but that usually changes in time. Good luck in whatever head you decide to use.

· Crossbow Nut
893 Posts
So which particular model of Rage mechanical broadhead would I be needing since I have so many practice heads?
Can't really say for sure, I haven't seen or used these for years. If I remember right, I bought them the first year they came out. They're probly the same as today's models.

Reactions: Yota4me

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I apologize for my pettiness, it was not appropriate but there are so many rage issues in here every year. A year or two back a dog tracker said his rage requests for tracks were like 4 to 1 or some crazy #. Part of that is probably because they are popular, but in my opinion bowhunting is hard enough without worrying about equipment failures when they have a track record like that. Some guys swear by them, but that usually changes in time. Good luck in whatever head you decide to use.
Your apology is totally unnecessary. I remember that I often heard people saying how great They were too. Thanks for sharing what you’ve heard, I’ll just stick with my Muzzy Trocar which I hope to first hand experience it’s effectiveness.

· Registered
Hoyt CD34
1,784 Posts
Should you wish to try a mechanical I have had great success with Nap spitfire 125 grain heads for in excess of a decade now. Total arrow weight I strived for was 450 grains plus with a higher FOC being desirable, thus the 125 grain head. Not sure about there quality since being bou
Water Sky Wood Plant Lake
ght out.
Switched over to adult arrows this season with a 200 grain head. Gave the heavy arrow with the two blade a try this AM.
the 200 grain 2 blade head did fine as well.

Nearly no sound at impact & deer was not hardly worked up at the shot. Dashed off 15 yards stumbled & walked another 18 yards before tipping over less than 30 seconds after the shot. Blood trail left something to be desired though who needs a blood trail when they go down that quick.

· Registered
184 Posts
There are plenty of good/bad stories on Rage, I'm in the latter camp. Couple years ago had wifes Titan M1 set up with red collar Rage Hypo's from Cabela's, assuming those were legit and not chinadermics, and she had one fail to deploy a blade and another fail to deploy both blades, both deer recovered after lengthy track jobs. Shots were under 30yds and were boiler room and those M1's are not a speed demon so maybe that had something to do with it, but it was last time those heads were on her arrows. Have since read to cut the slits deeper to help deployment but she's dead set on never using them again.

· Crossbow Nut
893 Posts
There are plenty of good/bad stories on Rage, I'm in the latter camp. Couple years ago had wifes Titan M1 set up with red collar Rage Hypo's from Cabela's, assuming those were legit and not chinadermics, and she had one fail to deploy a blade and another fail to deploy both blades, both deer recovered after lengthy track jobs. Shots were under 30yds and were boiler room and those M1's are not a speed demon so maybe that had something to do with it, but it was last time those heads were on her arrows. Have since read to cut the slits deeper to help deployment but she's dead set on never using them again.
Too many GOOD broadheads available to take a chance with Rage IMO.

· Registered
563 Posts
Should you wish to try a mechanical I have had great success with Nap spitfire 125 grain heads for in excess of a decade now. Total arrow weight I strived for was 450 grains plus with a higher FOC being desirable, thus the 125 grain head. Not sure about there quality since being bou View attachment 7734466 ght out.
Switched over to adult arrows this season with a 200 grain head. Gave the heavy arrow with the two blade a try this AM.
the 200 grain 2 blade head did fine as well.

Nearly no sound at impact & deer was not hardly worked up at the shot. Dashed off 15 yards stumbled & walked another 18 yards before tipping over less than 30 seconds after the shot. Blood trail left something to be desired though who needs a blood trail when they go down that quick.
Nice photo SDguy, and great canoe btw.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts