Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there will be alot of different opinions., but here's my situation.
I only hunt, so i probably will not fletch more than 4-5 dozen arrows per year, if that many, Mine & a few friends.

Do i spend the $$ for a Bitz or less $$ for a grayling, bohning, or an Arizona EZ?

Keep in mind 4-5 doz. would be max, probably closer to 2-3 dozen & i have never fletched before.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,296 Posts
Sfd_324 said:
I know there will be alot of different opinions., but here's my situation.
I only hunt, so i probably will not fletch more than 4-5 dozen arrows per year, if that many, Mine & a few friends.

Do i spend the $$ for a Bitz or less $$ for a grayling, bohning, or an Arizona EZ?

Keep in mind 4-5 doz. would be max, probably closer to 2-3 dozen & i have never fletched before.
I prefer the single clamp fletching jigs.

The Bitz will be a piece of equipment you can pass on to future generations.
If not the Bitz, then the plastic similar versions are probably just fine, as well.

·
Banned
910 Posts
Bitz is the rolex of jigs...but any of the ones you mentioned will work. most of these new adhesives set up fast...you only need 1 jig to turn out a dozen or so arrows in a reasonably short time. A dealer told me Bitz is hurting because of glues like goat tuff. people used to by banks of them, now they just get 1 or 2.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Get the AZ EZ Fletcher and save the money on the Bitz. That money can be used to buy beer...more fletching...beer...broadheads...more beer...

I use the AZ EZ and I can tell you my fletchings work. You can't argue that point. If you want the arrows to look pretty, use less glue, or scrape off the excess when you're done. But if you don't care about the looks so much, the fletching done with an AZ EZ will work as well as any fletching done with any jig on the market...period.

The nice thing about the AZ EZ is it fits nicely in my pack so I can do field repairs when needed.

Nate

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been using a Grayling for 2+ years now. No problems, just be careful when cleaning excess glue from the clamp edge (plastic can be cut, ya know).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think a man that enjoys archery will most likely stay in it for a good while.A Bitz. isn't that costly compared to any of your other good archery gear.Get a Bitz.!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Fletching Jigs

I have an old Martin fletching jig, left helical, and it works great. It is plastic and probably 20 years old, never a problem out of it. You will be in the same boat as me, hunting only but I really get into building my own arrows. I now have 2 boys that shoot with me so it seems there is always an arrow in the jig. I use Fletch Tite Platinum glue and let each feather or vane sit about 10 mins then move to the next one. You can do a dozen arrows in no time.
I also have a single Jo Jan jig with right helical and straight clamps. I do not think it is as easy to use as my Martin jig. The clamp on the Martin jig has 1/4 of play when on the magnet to allow you to align the feathers or vanes. The Jo Jan has no play so you must be very precise when placing the feather or vane in the clamp.
I have never used a Blitz but I am sure they are great. I think the Bohning jigs look good too. This is just my opinions on the jigs I have used but I am very happy with my single stage Martin jig. Good Luck, Steve

·
Registered
237 Posts
Awhhh come on!

You will kick yourself in the rear end if you pass on the Bitz - and, I'm sure you can afford some beer to go with it too!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
is it really that much?!?

I realize that in the overall picture of jigs and their prices, the bitz is the top. How much is the Bitz in comparison to the price of the dozen arrows you will fletch? the rest on your bow, the sight, new strings....... I totally agree with happy camper. In the grand scheme of things the price of a Bitz is small compared to some of the other items in this hobby.

I too hunt only and plan on trying to fletch my own arrows soon. I don't know where to start, but it seems clear to me that the Bitz is the top and will be worth its weight in no time.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If $$ is an issue, get a used bitz. They last forever. It may not be shiney, but it should work as good as new.

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,063 Posts
Try the Jo Jan

I have one and it was easy to work with even for a nuckel head like me! The price was right also. Oh I like beer too!:darkbeer: :darkbeer:
Koz

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its looking like the Bitz is the way to go.
How hard are they to use? I see knobs ,dials, set screws, etc., looks complicated.:confused3: :confused:
I've been reading different threads about them & seems each thing does something different.

I am kind of a perfectionist, with that said, quanity doesn't mean as much as quality. I just need something easy with great results....

although i would like to have a EZ to throw in the old pack for field repairs away from home.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sfd_324 said:
Its looking like the Bitz is the way to go.
How hard are they to use? I see knobs ,dials, set screws, etc., looks complicated.:confused3: :confused:
I've been reading different threads about them & seems each thing does something different.

I am kind of a perfectionist, with that said, quanity doesn't mean as much as quality. I just need something easy with great results....

although i would like to have a EZ to throw in the old pack for field repairs away from home.
the set screws allow you to choose how many fletches you want. the top is a 3 fletch, the middle is a four fletch and the bottom is another degree of four. i set the top one and have never moved it. the knob is to rotate your arrow after each fletch is set. its VERY VERY SIMPLE!!! for a perfectionist, the bitz is the way to go!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
deermaster said:
the set screws allow you to choose how many fletches you want. the top is a 3 fletch, the middle is a four fletch and the bottom is another degree of four. i set the top one and have never moved it. the knob is to rotate your arrow after each fletch is set. its VERY VERY SIMPLE!!! for a perfectionist, the bitz is the way to go!!

Thanks!! you all have been very helpful....looks like i'll be on the lookout for a goob bitz. When i get one i may have to ask some more questions about getting it set. I shoot only 3 fletch. I have been shooting standard 4" vanes but i want to fletch some blazers with wraps..Kinda add my own touch class instad of someone elses

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Bitzenberger!!!!!!

Best jig on the market!!!! Will out last your lifetime. It's a one time deal. Right now the best price that I know of is at Bass Pro Shoppe. The price is $64.99. Buy the right helical clamp [you get to pick which clamp you want when you buy the jig]. Keep it clean and you will never have any problems with it. JJT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bitz!

There is no substitute and as mentioned previously it's one of those things that you buy once and have it taken care of for the rest of your life... How many things can you say that about?

:darkbeer:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a Grayling and wish I would have bought a Bitz, especially after using my buddies. I will have a Bitz.

D-Rock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts