Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's 15. We shoot mainly 3D, but we also shoot plenty of Indoor. He's asking for a Contender(not an Elite) with 2000 limbs and Cam & 1/2. What other bows in the Hoyt line up should we look at. I was thinking the Alphamax 35 or Maxis 35. Thanks for any help. :wink:

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
How long are you planning on keeping it? At his age he's still growing like mad. If you plan on him shooting it for 2-3 years make sure it's easily adjustable, like with the Cam and a Half Plus and at the lower end of the cams now. If it's currently at the bottom of the range then he'll have 2.5" of adjustment to grow into.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Are you speaking of a target only bow or a dual purpose rig.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He may hunt some with it. We blind hunt so I'm not concerned with axle to axle. It will be a multiple purpose bow.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What is your sons draw length? Alpha Max 35 or Maxis 35 would be great choices if he is a 27.5 inch draw or longer. Seven37 is a great all around bow but it is not in Hoyts 2010 line up.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
He's 15. We shoot mainly 3D, but we also shoot plenty of Indoor. He's asking for a Contender(not an Elite) with 2000 limbs and Cam & 1/2. What other bows in the Hoyt line up should we look at. I was thinking the Alphamax 35 or Maxis 35. Thanks for any help. :wink:
I would look at the Katera XL with the cam 1/2 plus. Fast forgiving bow that will grow with him. I think Scottie is selling them at a great price on here right now too. I got my son a Vectrix XL when he was 14 and he killed his first 2 bucks with it. Great shooting bow. However, it is draw specific and he grew out of it. He is now shooting the Vulcan and loves that bow also. I personally think the Vulcan is the best all around bow (and smoothest) that Hoyt has ever made. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I agree with the adjustability comment. Whatever you get get the Cam&1/2's Plus if your looking at the target lineup. I would suggest the Maxxis 35. I think it is the best shooting bow for Hoyt in 2010. (and the xtr cams are adjustable)

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
I think he has made a wise choice. The Contender is the new 737 which was an excellent bow. I wish I had one. They are a great all purpose bow and a great choice for spots also. Very smooth with just an excellent feel to it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Maxxis 35

I have an AM35 and am shooting it for spots right now. It is an awesome shooting bow for both hunting and target. Fun bow to shoot, smooth, fast, forgiving, quiet. Full meal deal! :wink:

·
Registered
458 Posts
He's 15 and still growing, If you blind hunt and are concearned about axel to axel, you could always go with the AM32 shoots just as great as the AM35. As for the contender if it was my son I know I would have a heck of a list for him to work it off. No matter what you choose you are looking at great bows and he would be happy with any of them.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The Contender is a nice bow for 3D, indoor and hunting.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. He's really liking the AM-35. He's liked them since they came out. Like I said earlier, he'll be hunting, shooting 3D and Indoor. The hunting and 3D is 12 months of the year. We shoot spots about 2 months. I think we're ordering an AM-35 this weekend. :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts