Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love high end bows I shoot a trg7 a prime one and prime impact. But I really want to own an OK archery bow but there is no one local or dealer avail, I am 6'2 29 1\2" draw I shoot indoor and 3d, I am asking for opinions on models,axa cams and mod #s, I should i looking for. Thank you

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
At that height and draw length I think you will want a DST 40 or Absolute 40. I am 6' with a 28" draw and I have a Absolute 38 right now and it does not feel any too big aat all. I have a DST 40 on the way to test now also. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also what's the deal with small med or large cam. Since it seems draw length is controlled by mods ? I will take any info on these bows. Thank you for those that have replied.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I believe it is draw cycle and speed. Not positive on that though. I will know this week. I have a 38 with medium cams and am getting a 40 with large cams.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
DST has been discontinued but there are a few left over.
I would recommend the Absolute 38 for both indoor and 3-D.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 29.75" and shoot both the 38 and the 40. I'd reccomend the 38 with small cams for a do it all type of setup. That will give you the best speed and still a super smooth draw. The smalls max out at 29.5" for the 38, so you'll be at the most efficient setup you could get.

I also came from both a One and an Impact...while I really liked both bows, they don't hold like an OK does. I think you'll be very pleased.

GL picking a color combination!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone. I ended up with a dst40 med cam. It was a good price and get my foot into the OK archery door. I'm now looking for info on setup and tuning. Cam timing ,nock height ,rest height. Berger hole? Any and all info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a section for OK bows in the brand specific forum on this site and one of the members has set up a Facebook group with lots of information on it, just look for Dave Madden.

Jim.

·
74,535 Posts
Thank you to everyone. I ended up with a dst40 med cam. It was a good price and get my foot into the OK archery door. I'm now looking for info on setup and tuning. Cam timing ,nock height ,rest height. Berger hole? Any and all info is greatly appreciated
You made the right choice. I owned a DST 40 with large cams. Med cams should give you right amount of speed for 3d. I assure you tuning for this bow is a snap. Easiest bow to tune in my life. By far the best bow I ever shot.
DB

Attachments

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Tuning is very easy on these bows...For the DST40, I'd set it up with the arrow going through the middle of the berger hole. You'll hear a lot about centering the nock on the string, but that's for the Absolute series.

The twin cams should be perfectly synced. Make sure to set your nock first before checking cam sync. It's easy to tune the cables while you're shooting with the OK bows - no press needed (unless you're using cable spreaders). Michael does a good job explaining it here at the 1:00 mark.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I have been shooting the Absolute 38 for over a year now. Shot it for the entire season last year for 3-D and enjoyed it greatly. I love how easy it it to tune and set up. By no means do I feel I am a bow junkie but this one is very easy to set up and tune. I am getting in the 290's at 60 lb draw with mine. Great bow for sure!!!!

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,557 Posts
I would have suggested the Smoke with the Large Chili cams. It feels like a much longer A2A bow than is is. Mine is set to 29 7/8" DL @ 57lbs. The large cams offer a very smooth draw and don't give up that much on speed.

My Smoke, for what ever reason, does better than OK's listed IBO. It manages to launch a 338gr arrow at the above specs at 292fps and a 398gr arrow at 273fps.

I use it mostly for hunting, but it would be perfectly at home on the 3D or Field range and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for indoors. It's that good.

http://balegend.com/compound-bows/smoke.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts