Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I hit a probably 140-150 inch deer in ohio. My initial reaction to the shot was that it was good behind the shoulder in the lower area. I was pretty confident he was dead but when I found my arrow it had about 7 or so inches of pent ration and was broken about 4 inches from the tip. There was some white hair and some brown hair. It went about 20 yards before we had blood but then it looked really good. There was blood everywhere for a while and I felt pretty confident again that we'd find him soon. But then after about 100-150 yards it pretty much quit. The last blood was in a extremely thick power line with head high weeds everywhere. We're going to look for him in the morning again. I just wondered if I could've been a little bit too low. But I'm pretty certain that I hit him just behind the shoulder. Any ideas on whether it's a fatal hit are much appreciated! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sounds like he should be dead good luck

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Oh yeah in for pics and updates

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
white and brown hair probably means low. How high were you in the stand? What was the deer doing? quartering away? towards? broadside? Sounds like a dead deer, but I have also seen low non lethal hits bleed a ton. Hope ou find him and post pictures!
Get a dog out there if you start having trouble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I will be sure to post a picture if we find him. Keeping my fingers crossed and looking at a sleepless night ahead. It would be my first buck with the bow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
white and brown hair probably means low. How high were you in the stand? What was the deer doing? quartering away? towards? broadside? Sounds like a dead deer, but I have also seen low non lethal hits bleed a ton. Hope ou find him and post pictures!
Get a dog out there if you start having trouble.
I was about 25 feet up he was about 30 yards below me I'm a slight dip and standing about broadside maybe quartering away slightly if anything.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I was about 25 feet up he was about 30 yards below me I'm a slight dip and standing about broadside maybe quartering away slightly if anything.
Hope you find him. I had almost an exact situation last year and never recovered. Had blood trail 2 feet wide. Ended up hitting a bit too low, but enough to make him bleed a ton. Not trying to discourage you. Hoping to see recovery pics soon. . .

As I said, Get a dog on the trail. Dont wait too long, and try not to saturate the blood trail and walk all over when looking though first. Thats what I would do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope you find him. I had almost an exact situation last year and never recovered. Had blood trail 2 feet wide. Ended up hitting a bit too low, but enough to make him bleed a ton. Not trying to discourage you. Hoping to see recovery pics soon. . .

As I said, Get a dog on the trail. Dont wait too long, and try not to saturate the blood trail and walk all over when looking though first. Thats what I would do.
Thanks man! And yes I know there is a chance it wasn't a fatal hit, but trust me I will be doing everything I can to find him if he's dead. It drives me crazy thinking he's dead somewhere and we might not find him!

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,574 Posts
Good luck, not sure where in Ohio your at, but we are supposed to get alot of rain over night, probably wash blood trail away, take a couple of friends with you and grid search the last area you thought he was

·
203 4/8 non-typical
12,053 Posts
With the blood just quitting thats puzzling.if you would have caught the heart it would have bled like a stuck pig till it dropped,maybe a flesh wound? Hope you find him but with the blood stopping with a low hit im a little apprehensive

1 - 20 of 66 Posts