Archery Talk Forum banner

NEED HELP!!! Siezed sight mounting screw!!

616 6
SH#$...all I can say. I was mounting a sight on a PSE Diablo...went to snug it up with the same tension I use on any other bow...and don't you know it...I felt a slip. I don't think it crossed threads or anything...but it sure as heck is seized up to crazy ville.

I've always come close with other bows and this sight bracket...but I've always been able to break it free. However, I literally broke two of my allen wrenches(twisted them right off) trying to get this one screw free. Now I have the dang thing stripped out now as well.

I have no clue how to get this out. Is there anyone that has any suggestions on how to deal with this???
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,414 Posts
Hey Doc, try some of that PB Blaster that they sell at the auto supply houses, the stuff really works sell, but use it sparingly, I dont know what it will do to the film dip. Dave

· Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
You might try an impact driver. You hit it on the top of the driver and it turns the mechanism slightly. I would definetly brace the riser well so it doesn't bend it though.

Other than that sounds like you might be drilling it out and knocking the rest out with a small chisel.

· Born To Hunt
6,149 Posts
Screw

I would start by spraying some kind of penetrating spray in the other side of the riser and let it set for an hour , if the head is stripped you have a couple of options, you could see if you could get a small easy out and see if you could back the bolt out, I doubt if this will work if you stripped 2 allen wrenches, but worth a try. You can take a Dremmel tool and grind the bolt head off , take the other bolt out, first, and when you grind the head off that is stuck the sight will come off, then you MAY be able to get ahold of what is left of the bolt and back it out with vicegrips or a good set of pliers, if this dosent work take a small drill and from the other side of the riser drill the bolt out. if you are carefull and have good tools you MAY get this done, if not you will have to drill the hole bigger and run a tap to tap new threads in it, and use a bigger bolt to replace the old one.
Good luck, get yourself a socket allen wrench, that fits on a 3/8" drive one to fit the bolts on the sight and one that fits the limb bolts, get a good brand, NOT Made in China , that is probably the reason you are having the problem, with the socket allens it will be alot better on the next sight change and alot eaiser to adjust the linb bolts

· bowaholic
1,964 Posts
I haven't used these on my bow yet(hopefully I never have to) but I use them at work and these babies will dig in. To me they are alot better than the regular ez outs. Check them out herehttp://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2547 The ones I'm talking about are the 10pc set. You can probably find them cheaper somewhere else but this is the place I knew I could find them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.