Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am shooting a single pin hogg father, a hoyt defiant turbo, and a 450 grain injexion size fmj. I sighted in my bow to 20 yards and my hogg father is pin is already on line maybe a touch below the center of the dovetail bracket as far as a reference goes. Bottom line is my sight bottoms out at 50 yards. I am shooting the same setup as cameron hanes more or less as far as draw length and arrow weight and his peep doesnt look that high to me yet when he sights in at 20 his sight is cranked all the way to the top. I shoot a hand release and anchor very low with the "V" of my first and middle ringer on my jaw bone. For some reason I cant get my bow to shoot far. Im beyond frustrated because I spent a lot of money on a good bow and sight expecting to shoot far. Any suggestions on what I can do. All input is greatly appreciated I thank you guys in advance for the help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5 and 7/8ths inches

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Not familiar with the spot hogs, but did you "zero out" the sight. Looking at pictures of the sight, you can move the scope housing up and down by removing the two Allen screws that connect the scope to the sight, and then move the scope housing up or down. Post a picture of your sight with the pin facing away from you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even when i zero'd it out. I still have the same clearence problems because to get back on 20 i have to crank it down further.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Your scope housing is mounted towards the middle of where it can be. Take the sight off, and hold the sight so the dovetail is facing away from you, as if you're looking through the opposite side of the scope then you would if you're shooting it. See those two Allen screws that mount the scope to the sight? And all the other holes there? That's so you can move the scope housing up and down the sight. Take the two Allen screws out, move the scope housing down, even as far as it will go if you choose. After you reconnected the scope, move the actual sight dial up, "cranked all the way to the top," as you stated, and shoot at 10 yards first, to make sure you're on the target. After you shoot at ten yards and you feel you won't miss the target completely at 20 yards, go to 20 yards and shoot. If the Arrow hits high, then take the two Allen screws out and move the scope housing up one notch. If the arrow hits low at 20 yards, then adjust your dial (if you moved your scope housing as far as it will go down.)

Does that make sense?

Also, I'm pretty sure Hanes shoots 80#. Idk how far you want to shoot, but doing what I said should at least allow you to shoot further than 50, but you're arrows may start hitting your scope eventually so be careful and sheik to make sure you have clearance before you go and shoot 60, 70, 80 yards.

It could also be some sort of form issue.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Even when i zero'd it out. I still have the same clearence problems because to get back on 20 i have to crank it down further.
See those little holes up and down on the sight, you want to unscrew the Allen screws that connect there and move that whole assembly down. Not the horizontal Allen screws that run horizontally with the scope. The other two that connect that whole assembly to the dovetail.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that makes sense thank you again guys I will try now and shoot in the morning and keep you posted. I really appreciate it again.

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
See those little holes up and down on the sight, you want to unscrew the Allen screws that connect there and move that whole assembly down. Not the horizontal Allen screws that run horizontally with the scope. The other two that connect that whole assembly to the dovetail.
Agree. Move the sight housing up or dowm on the long vertical pc with all the holes. You can also move the whole sight up or down on you

Sent via iPhone and Tapatalk

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
Move these two screws in the pic.

Sent via iPhone and Tapatalk

·
Registered
51,143 Posts
Another thing TIE that peep in!! It can move or come out of there on the shot.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I untied it to try to move it up a bit to get more distance but i do need to get on that asap. Also update i did get a lot more room to turn the wheel however. My fletchings hit the bottom of my sight at around 70 yards now. Is that all i can get? Is there something with a nocking point i have to change or do anything else or do i just call it there

·
(aka lug nut)
49,669 Posts
I untied it to try to move it up a bit to get more distance but i do need to get on that asap. Also update i did get a lot more room to turn the wheel however. My fletchings hit the bottom of my sight at around 70 yards now. Is that all i can get? Is there something with a nocking point i have to change or do anything else or do i just call it there
WE need a how's my form photo, head to toe. Dead level arrow, full draw. Need to see the ground, your shoes, and all of you head to toe, need to see your release elbow, need to see the entire bow.

·
and Ruby
155 Posts
Is something wrong with your rest? Did you have a pro shop look over your setup?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In that pic im set at 20 yards before zeroing out my sight like suggested

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WE need a how's my form photo, head to toe. Dead level arrow, full draw. Need to see the ground, your shoes, and all of you head to toe, need to see your release elbow, need to see the entire bow.

I will post tomorrow evening thank you for even looking at
My
Post i have heard you were the tuning and fundamentals god

1 - 20 of 25 Posts