Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's bow comes in today and she can't wait to shoot it. My problem is that I have only shot compounds and don't know how to go about teaching her how to shoot her Bear 1st shot (long bow). I know that the local shop would be more than willing to help us out but I just was wondering what you guys did to keep the kids interested i.e. games or shooting at different things on the target? Just don't know what to do since I have only been shooting for about 2 1/2 years and still learning my self. Any advise would be greatly accepted.

On a side note: I couldn't be a happier with her enthusiasm on wanting to do this by her choice. Just a very proud dad :teeth:.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please don't bash me for not seeing the other thread about teaching a guys son to shoot. It show up while I was making mine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About post #2...there was nothing about teaching a little kid to shoot just a bunch of stuff about target panic. Just looking for some techniques for helping her out.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You could get half a bunch of what i call junker arrows. The ones at the shop that were cut to short or what have you. And fletch them up with flu flus and then put some plastic cups in the yard and have her shoot at them. And you can make an awsome target by getting a piece of carpet about 5 foot by 3 1/2 foot and nailing it to a wooden frame.. It stops the arrows perfect. And they come out easy.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Rule #1 Keep it fun!!!
My daughter is 5 and has been "shooting" for almost 2 years. We let her shoot after league is over, only a few arrows, doesn't matter where they hit, praise her no matter what, and always leave with her wanting more. :wink: My son is 3 and it's the same way, he wants to shoot. He hardly ever hits what he aims at, but he gets such a kick out having things fly through the air that he loves shooting wherever as long as things go through the air and make a noise when they land. :thumbs_up

Lien2

·
Registered
7,439 Posts

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
First of all, how old is she? If she's 10 or younger, don't focus too much on form right away. Let her play games and develop a love of the sport. When that sets in, she will want to improve and will ask for help. Nothing is more frustrating for a kid than being corrected after every shot. Teach very basic technique, and stress safety.

First and foremost- get her an armguard. Girls are put together a little differently than boys and tend to hyperextend their elbows. If she gets hurt, she won't want to shoot anymore.

Keep the target close, start at 5-8 yards and don't move it back until she can hit the paper every time. I started mine at about 8 yards, and told them if they could get 2 ends (10 arrows) in a row on the paper, then they could move it back farther. It gives them a goal, saves wear on arrows and helps their confidence because they are shooting better with the closer range.

Get fun targets. My kids like pictures of animals (even though my daughter will never ever, ever hunt, she likes the hunting type targets). Hanging balloons on the target is fun, too. You can get game targets-- tic-tac-toe, cards, dartboards.. all sorts of fun stuff. You can also make your own by just drawing it on cardboard.

Don't be suprised if she only wants to shoot for about 10 minutes at a time. The attention span will come with the desire to improve. It can be tough for a dad to find ways to spend time with a daughter, especially as she gets into teenage years. So go have a blast. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the responses. We went and shot after work and it was so much fun for her just shooting arrows and she didn't care as long as she was shooting. To be honest it was more fun for me to watch her shoot. We had a goal of just getting acquainted with the bow and figuring out how to do things. Thanks again for everything and helping a dad find some enjoyment that makes him feel 10 ft. tall and bullet proof.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
First of all, how old is she? If she's 10 or younger, don't focus too much on form right away. Let her play games and develop a love of the sport. When that sets in, she will want to improve and will ask for help. Nothing is more frustrating for a kid than being corrected after every shot. Teach very basic technique, and stress safety.

First and foremost- get her an armguard. Girls are put together a little differently than boys and tend to hyperextend their elbows. If she gets hurt, she won't want to shoot anymore.

Keep the target close, start at 5-8 yards and don't move it back until she can hit the paper every time. I started mine at about 8 yards, and told them if they could get 2 ends (10 arrows) in a row on the paper, then they could move it back farther. It gives them a goal, saves wear on arrows and helps their confidence because they are shooting better with the closer range.

Get fun targets. My kids like pictures of animals (even though my daughter will never ever, ever hunt, she likes the hunting type targets). Hanging balloons on the target is fun, too. You can get game targets-- tic-tac-toe, cards, dartboards.. all sorts of fun stuff. You can also make your own by just drawing it on cardboard.

Don't be suprised if she only wants to shoot for about 10 minutes at a time. The attention span will come with the desire to improve. It can be tough for a dad to find ways to spend time with a daughter, especially as she gets into teenage years. So go have a blast. :thumbs_up
Great advice.Finish up each session with one shot at a very large target a fair distance away and give her a dollar if she hits it.Then go buy both of you an ice cream cone if she hits it or not.Main thing is the fun.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
the body mechanics between compounds and recurves is the same.

keep it fun and remember to lose humbly :wink:

ice cream is always a good reward anytime of the year.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Buy lots of balloons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts