Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased 2 protein feeders to supplement the deer during the long summers here in Texas. Unfortunately the coons are dumping all the protein on the ground! Please look at the pics of the feeders and help me determine a way to allow the deer to feed while keeping the coons out.

We have tried trapping and killing them, but we would really prefer to just thwart there efforts instead of an all out slaughter.

Thanks for any ideas you might have...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just trap them! I have tried almost everything, greasing the legs, carpet tack strips and even sharks teeth and nothing stops them, I thought the sharks teeth would do the job and they did, but even though the teeth were covered with blood and hair they didnt stop the coons. Im going to try building some cones or funnels and put them on the legs to see how they work but if they dont I will be trapping alot of coons this year. Pike

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
It's too low. I can't think of anything that would keep them out and let the deer still eat out of it. Usually you can grease the legs, but it's too short, that they don't have to climb the legs. On a gravity feeder, if the deer can get to it, the coons can do. I try a different feeder on a timer.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Just trap them! I have tried almost everything, greasing the legs, carpet tack strips and even sharks teeth and nothing stops them, I thought the sharks teeth would do the job and they did, but even though the teeth were covered with blood and hair they didnt stop the coons. Im going to try building some cones or funnels and put them on the legs to see how they work but if they dont I will be trapping alot of coons this year. Pike
Have you tried a cage around the timer? That's what we do around here. If you do it right, it works.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sneaky the other thing im going to try this summer (along with the cones) is a feeder kit that has a trap door instead of a spinner, they are also completely silent but I think the coons will fiqure out a way to either open or break the trap door. Pike

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
Good luck, ,,,,that's your first million if you figure it out.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
With that type of feeder, the only thing you can do is shoot them! Now, if you want to make a gravity feeder, you can line it with thick plexy glass and they wont be able to climb it. Their claws are not sharp enough to dig in to get a grip. You could always take a 4x4 or 6x6 and set it in the ground and attach the gravity feeder to it, and line the whole thing with plex.

Sooner or later, they will find a way to get the food, no matter what you do.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Sneaky the other thing im going to try this summer (along with the cones) is a feeder kit that has a trap door instead of a spinner, they are also completely silent but I think the coons will fiqure out a way to either open or break the trap door. Pike
I haven't seen one with a trap door, but I think I can imagine how that works. Might help, but if they can reach it, then they will probably tear it up. They are just to smart and agile.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,673 Posts
Mix 1 part Malrin fly bait with 1 part Mountain Dew and put it out in the area for a few days. Don't let your pets go near it. I had a guy tell me he used this recipe around his prize chickens and the coons didn't make it 10 feet from the bucket.

·
Registered
396 Posts
you have one option from how i see it.

hire me to come out and trap the property. since you're a fellow AT'er i'll do it for travel, expenses and lodging.

... i've got a pretty mean track record on coons!;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had pics of 13 coons at one time on a feeder,only thing is to trap or shoot them

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
fap1800 dont read this thread....

im jus sayin....

·
canadian content
2,181 Posts
I've been told a coon will not return after a bad meal.Hollow out a bunch of large marshmellows and fill with cayan pepper.Toast the marshmellows a little after.These things hurt going down and coming out.Never had to try it but might be worth a shot.Good luck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts