Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Mathews Creed and i need to equip it with accessories. I'm unsure what size (length) stablizer to buy for it. i'm looking to buy a K-Tech Stablizer. I went to my local Mathews retailer and the gentlemen who helped me said that it doesn't matter what size i got b/c the bow is already so well balanced. Is there any truth to this?

So i'm looking to buy a 3" ktech stablizer just to limit the ttl weight of the bow. What would be your suggestions?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Team_hardwood - my recommendation is to go to the shop with your bow and try a variety of stabilizers. While it may be well balanced right now, if you were to put too heavy a stabilizer on it then the balance will be moved forward. Whenever you are trying the stabilizers, have your bow setup how you'll shoot it i.e. if you hunt/target shoot with your quiver off, balance it that way, or vice versa.

Length is all personal preference and how you use the bow, and how you want it balanced (above); if you target shoot and hunt with it, you won't want anything longer than 10" or so probably.

There's many good options out there to fit whatever your price range may be; just want to be sure whatever you get balances the bow foremost and provides good shock absorption.

·
Ad Meliora
16,814 Posts
I removed a Ktech and replaced with a Stokerized SS1....what a difference! I'll admit the Ktech was pretty...that's about it. If you insist on one get some weight and try to make it worthwhile. Or better yet try some other stabs...

·
Registered
911 Posts
3" stabilizer is not a stabilizer at all. and if its not made of rubber, it essentially does nothing but empty your wallet, and make the bow a little heavier.

stabilizer that are less than 10" or 12" are essentially shock absorbers. they dampen vibration and possibly quiet the bow a little.

to actually get some stabilization out of your stabilizer, you need some weight, AND some leverage. for leverage, you need length.

i personally dont bother with a stabilizer unless it 12" or longer.

my current hunting bow has a 15' doinker side bar as the front stab.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3" stabilizer is not a stabilizer at all. and if its not made of rubber, it essentially does nothing but empty your wallet, and make the bow a little heavier.

stabilizer that are less than 10" or 12" are essentially shock absorbers. they dampen vibration and possibly quiet the bow a little.

to actually get some stabilization out of your stabilizer, you need some weight, AND some leverage. for leverage, you need length.

i personally dont bother with a stabilizer unless it 12" or longer.

my current hunting bow has a 15' doinker side bar as the front stab.

Twoinch, how does a stablizer that long hold up in a treestand or climber stand? sounds like it would get in the way? 15" sounds super long

·
Registered
911 Posts
Twoinch, how does a stablizer that long hold up in a treestand or climber stand? sounds like it would get in the way? 15" sounds super long
in the treestand is the last place it would cause me a problem. i do not use a climber though. cant imagine it would interfere with one though.

when i am in a treestand, i have an arrow nocked. that nocked arrow sticks out much further than the stabilizer does. i set my stands up so that i can maneuver around with out my bow or arrow getting in the way, and my stabilizer is within those same parameters.

walking in and out has never been an issue with it either. if i dont have an arrow nocked, i generally carry the bow by the base of the stabilizer. its a perfect handle.

·
Registered
16,473 Posts
can you explaine how it can get in the way?

I was taught to bring a machete, clear out what you need.

keep it off while carrying, climbing--attach when settled in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
LetThemGrow....... What weights do you have on the front /back of your SS1? Also which quiver ? Thanks. Looking to better balance my Creed too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Fury,

just as what you could imagine. hitting branches in the tree or walking to the tree. or hitting your climber, etcs. just making up scenarios. i've never seen any one actually have that long of a stablizer for hunting, but i haven't met everyone. so yea....

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

If you hunt like I do where you are brushed in a good bit, then a longer stab would get in the way. Also hunting out of a smaller blind can cause issues as well. In a hunting situation, there are many ways that a longer stab could hurt instead of help. That's probably why most hunters don't use really long stabilizers...

·
Ad Meliora
16,814 Posts
LetThemGrow....... What weights do you have on the front /back of your SS1? Also which quiver ? Thanks. Looking to better balance my Creed too.
I added 1 weight to the front; I'm using a 2 piece quiver.

I went right to Stokerized shop (Swatara Creek) and Kyle adjusted then added weight until it was just right. I felt it was a drastic improvement over the Ktech but we all have different preferences.

The beauty of the SS1 is that it doesn't stick out the front extremely far since you slide it to the point that works best for you. I've found it far less annoying in the stand than an 8" B-stinger I used previously on my Tribute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts