Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start fletching my own arrows but I don't know much about the differences in right and left helical or if it even matters. I shoot right handed? Im looking at the Arizona EZ Fletch and I want to try the Quickspin vanes. Can anyone give me some advice?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hi,

Have a look at this excellent guide, which may also explain why the need for right or left helicals: http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/guide.htm

Besides using feathers where you would be concerned about a right wing feather fletched right helical, and left wing for left helicals, the orientation of the helical is of more concern for finger shooters, and would not make a difference for release aid shooters.

Hope this helps.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,365 Posts
imurhucklebry said:
I want to start fletching my own arrows but I don't know much about the differences in right and left helical or if it even matters. I shoot right handed? Im looking at the Arizona EZ Fletch and I want to try the Quickspin vanes. Can anyone give me some advice?
The Arizona EZ Fletch will fletch 3 vanes at the same time.

I started with the EZ Fletch. You must keep the arms clean of any excess glue residue. Fixing one vane is also difficult.

I eventually bought a Bitzenburger. It takes longer, but you get much better precision and it is much more adjustable.

The Quickspin vanes are very flexible and the ridges do help create turbulence and spin faster.

If you are using glue in target points, the direction of helical does not matter.

If you use screw in field points / broadheads,
then all field points and broadheads have a RH thread.

A right helical installation will spin the arrow to the right (point away from you) in the clock-wise direction.

A left helical installation will spin the arrow to the left in the counter-clockwise direction.

If you use blue LocTite, then your field points and broadheads may not loosen.

I would suggest you stick to a RH helical installation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts