Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise about the Cabela's Trophy Lite Magnum Ladder Stand. I hunt with a bow and gun so I thought that this stand would be right for me. This will be my first experience with any tree stand ,so please help. Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Get you a API climbing stand........the Grand Slam....you can set there all day and use it about anywhere......just my opion....:p

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ladder stands work fine in the right place,I own 2 of them and have killed several deer from them.I also have 3 hang on stands ( Remington,Hunters View,and North Starr )and 2 climbing stands ( an older model Summit and a Grand Ol' Man).They all work well in the right place.you just have to figure out what suits you best.I've also killed several deer sitting on a folding stool against a tree.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In my part of the country - SC - I would choose a Summit Climber for my one and only stand. However, if you do not want a climber, I would go with a hang on stand with climbing sticks or steps. They are more versatile and can be hung higher than ladder stands. I like climbers b/c you can ascend and descend while wearing a safety belt, switch to another, better tree if need be, and take them in and out with you. Most of the videos I watch of professional hunters do not use ladder stands. They use hang ons.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
pointman, the ladder you speak of is on back order at Cabela's. I tried to order one a week ago. Ended up with a 20' from BPS, has the double tube ladder.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I personally don't like a ladder stand........I have used them and have killed deer from them.

I like to be at least 20' up and not many ladder stands can do this.

I like to stand up to shoot and too stretch my legs.....and most ladder stands don't give this option.

I hunt from a TreeLounge and my son hunts from a Summit Viper.:D

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
any stand will work and a ladder stand is just one of many you can go with. i have two strongbuilt 15 footers and they work great. the deal is you have to work them within the boundries of your area and use the natural camo of the trees and make sure you have back cover and i also will use some limbs and cover for the ladder which seems to work as i have critters coming around and even eating some of the leaves and other goodies i use on them. the ladder stand is one of the most stable of the stands out but you have to set them up with care like you do any stand. scent control and using natural scents like earth and acorn scent help to cover up any human scent you might have from climbing up and down the ladder steps. also once you put them up it's a good idea they are permenant as they are heavy to tote arourdn
rob k

·
Registered
585 Posts
Man! I have more ladder stands in my woods than Home depot.Some of the home built wooden ladders are still servicable at 20 years old,but most are Hunters View or Bear River 12 nd 15 foot steel stands.To set them up I try to place them within some distracting cover like two or more trees growing close together.I set the stan amongst them,it breaks up your outline,I have never been busted in a ladder stand.Putting your stand among two plus trees also gives added security.One thing I have found,you need to drill a couple small holes just above ground level to allow any water to drain out of the uprights.If you don't, it will freeze and split the metal.Don't touch your stand below where deer can sniff your scent.Be careful when climbing metal ladders,not to clank you bow against it.Have a hoist rope to lift your bow.Use the brace that comes with the stand,it prevents the stand from bowing when you climb.After you set the stand against the tree,stand back and see if the platform is level.If the stand is a 15+ footer,run a piece of rope from as high a rung as possible and use it to pull the ladder against the tree to help you climb to the top without the stand falling backward or sideways,once the stan is secured at the top,remove the rope.It also helps your peace of mind to tie the stand against an adjoining tree,about half way up.Wear a good safety belt,always.Storms come,winds blow and the forest changes appearance regularly,deer get used to ladders quickly and I have never seen a deer spook at a ladder stand.I have placed ladders and killed deer from it the next day.Be clean when setting stands and be as scent free as possible,like hunting.Don' trim too many branches or brush unless you do it well ahead of time,like two months or so.Have fun.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to thank everyone for their advise. I just ordered a Strong built ladder stand from bass pro.

·
CottonHeadedNinnyMuggins
1,244 Posts
I just put up 2 more ladders on my dad's land over the weekend. I think they work great. We just leave them out all year long and do a little touch-up trimming before the season starts. We now have 3 ladders and I'm probably going to get more.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I use ladders on my permanent stands and love them. Easy to climb into and no problem shooting at all. Very quiet also. I have a few portables out yet that eventually I'll switch over to ladders. Heading to new area or a road trip I allways use the potables. You might want to get a couple potables also. Goos luck out there.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Pointman,
I have a Cabela's 15' ladder stand that works very well. It's great if you have a location where you can set it and leave it for the season. I set mine overlooking a feeder or food plot a few weeks before season, and leave it until season is over. There are advantages and disadvantages to a ladder, but it is good in the right place. I set mine in a huge cedar this fall. Trimmed enough limbs to set it up, and it's strapped & locked in position now. It's very secure to set in, but one disadvantage is that it's not practical to use a safety harness climbing the ladder. I do strap my safety harness to the tree as soon as I reach the seat. Another disadvantage to the model I have is that the seat is fixed and makes the platform pretty small to move around on. Some models have a large platform & folding seat and would work better for bowhunting. The model I have limits the area for shooting with a bow somewhat, but is still pretty good. I do prefer a fixed stand or climber for bowhunting, though.
wabi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts