Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
You can either breast it out, or gut it and pluck it. I like to go the route of gutting and plucking then roast it or fry it just like a store bought bird.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd pluck the front over the breast and cut the breast out...the legs are pretty tough....lot of how to's on Youtube....

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Did you shoot it in the neck GruBBworm ? They say breast it out marinate and cook it on da grill ! And then chew on a drumstick while you wait. Congrats on da Turkey !

Crazy Wolf

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
i just breast them.

cut it open then just fallow the breast bone. there legs are tuff as heck

·
Registered
489 Posts
this is the "for dummies" version that i use (cos i'm a dummy lol). cut the head off and bleed it out. fill the sink with hot water. dunk the bird in quickly, pull it out and start ripping out feathers. when they get hard to rip out, dunk again. keep it up till they're all gone. ring out the bum, and reach up into the incision, pulling out everything inside. make sure not to leave anything in there. check the liver for any odd discolourations or green spots etc. if it looks dodgy, bail on the bird.
chop off the feet and stuff unless you wanna have some fun freaking out your dinner guests lol. or else you can save the feet for dressing gumbo with...

then drape rashers of fatty bacon over the bird, and brush with oil. mix pieces of chunky bacon with sage, rosemary, bread crumbs and egg to make a stuffing. roast that sucker, keeping the bacon on top moist with constant brushing of oil, until the last 30 minutes or so of cooking, and let it crisp up then.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Make a cut at the base of the neck, right at the breast. Poke your two index fingers in said cut. Pull apart and down, exposing the breast. Cut breast out, place in pan of cold water and throw the rest in the trash. Wash breast, place in pan of ice cold water with a teaspoon of salt and place in fridge. Tomorrow evening, remove from pan of water, rinse well and pat dry with paper towel. Place breast in a bowl and cover with Italian dressing, I prefer Zesty Italian, it has chunks. Place back in fridge. The next day, wrap in aluminum foil and place on grill at 175 to 200 degrees, off heat. After 3 hours, remove foil but save it. Maintain temp and cook, off heat still for 2 hours. This is the time you can add wood to smoke. After 2 hours, wrap in foil again and put back on grill for another hour. This is the 3,2,1 method, works great for venison also, just adjust the heat up to 250. Let the breast stand for 30 minutes or so before you cut, Ummmmmm Good.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Skin it & breast it out, the legs you can boil & use that meat for gravey or turkey salad.
Dont forget the gizzard, good eating fried up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i gut them out take the breasts out. then cut into bit size shake n bake it fry it in a pan with butter nothing beats it.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
ok got the breast out

sucker weighs 5.3 pounds

looks like lots a good breast meat to me!

whooo hoooo

thanks all for the help

Jon

5.3 Lbs GruBBworm ? Sure it wasnt a Chicken ? :mg:

Crazy Wolf

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
nooo i mean the breast alone

the remains after i cutt out the breast weighed 14 pounds plus the 5 pound breast

so it was a 19 pound or so bird

heh not a bad sized bird

Jon

I knew that ! :wink:

Crazy Wolf

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
CONGRATS on the turkey!!! Enjoy those breasts, fresh wild turkey is awesome!!! :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like most people waste some of the best eating there is. The dark meat is excellent when it is boiled down and mixed with homemade noodles or even store bought egg noodles. I makes me sick when people just pop the breast out of a turkey and throw away the rest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts